Is Barack Obama going to be....

Is Barack Obama going to be....

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U

Moves
24 May 09

the greatest President of all time or just one of the greatest?

Let's debate this!

g

Pepperland

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper

Let's debate this!
we could we know?

he hasn't even been there for a year.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
24 May 09

Let's debate this!
I see you have decided to subscribe to rhp - good choice, glad you are a fully paid up member.

However the star does not give you the right to ask silly questions. That right is reserved for Trev33 who is also a Man Utd fan so has real problems! πŸ˜‰

To answer you question; I think Obama certainly has the charisma and opportunity to carve himself a special place in history.

g

Pepperland

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by divegeester
I see you have decided to subscribe to rhp - good choice, glad you are a fully paid up member.

However the star does not give you the right to ask silly questions. That right is reserved for Trev33 who is also a Man Utd fan so has real problems! πŸ˜‰

To answer you question; I think Obama certainly has the charisma and opportunity to carve himself a special place in history.
charisma?

do you only have to be charismatic to be consired "the greatest"?

K

Germany

Moves
24 May 09

Does Obama have the guts to do what is required for the US economy? That is - will he signficantly raise taxes for the rich? I doubt it.

STS

Moves
24 May 09

Let's debate this!
A lot can happen in four years. He may not be remembered as being great at all.

w

Moves
24 May 09
2 edits

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Does Obama have the guts to do what is required for the US economy? That is - will he signficantly raise taxes for the rich? I doubt it.
No, no, he is going to impose a cap in trade energy tax on us all whether it be the poor, middle class, or rich. In fact, it should be the single greatest tax increase in US history that should hike our energy expense some 20-50%!! Of course, if and when this passes and we see people dying of heat stroke or hypothermia because they can't afford his, (sky is falling due to carbon emissions), tax hike, things may begin to unwind for him.

Cheers to Obama. His place in history is secured as being unique.

cg

Seattle

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
It just confuses me why anyone thinks they have a right to take from the rich and give to the poor. In reality you should get what you earn: no more, no less. Honestly, just because somebody can actually run their life doesn't mean that they should be required to pay more. In the end, if you have to pay more because you are a success, then what is the point of even trying?

g

Pepperland

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by c guy1
It just confuses me why anyone thinks they have a right to take from the rich and give to the poor. In reality you should get what you earn: no more, no less. Honestly, just because somebody can actually run their life doesn't mean that they should be required to pay more. In the end, if you have to pay more because you are a success, then what is the point of even trying?
It just confuses me why anyone thinks they have a right to take from the rich and give to the poor.

I agree. However, thats what you have to do in the current economic crisis, plus he'll have to do that to finance the big government Obama wants.

In the end, if you have to pay more because you are a success, then what is the point of even trying?

to help fellow americans who are not as educated or as lucky as you?

U

Moves
24 May 09

In what regard? Because any example you can put on Democrats will also be put on Republicans, including a progressive tax system.

U

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by whodey
No, no, he is going to impose a cap in trade energy tax on us all whether it be the poor, middle class, or rich. In fact, it should be the single greatest tax increase in US history that should hike our energy expense some 20-50%!! Of course, if and when this passes and we see people dying of heat stroke or hypothermia because they can't afford his, (sky is ...[text shortened]... begin to unwind for him.

Cheers to Obama. His place in history is secured as being unique.
He's already passed the largest middle class tax cut in history.

cg

Seattle

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
[b]It just confuses me why anyone thinks they have a right to take from the rich and give to the poor.

I agree. However, thats what you have to do in the current economic crisis, plus he'll have to do that to finance the big government Obama wants.

In the end, if you have to pay more because you are a success, then what is the point of even trying?

to help fellow americans who are not as educated or as lucky as you?[/b]
The way I see it: right is right and wrong is wrong regardless of circumstances. Furthermore, you say Obama will need to tax the rich to support the big government he wants...well the whole point of having a big government is to take money from the rich and give to the poor: to create welfare systems. This issue better ties into the next area:

to help fellow americans who are not as educated or as lucky as you

I'll just say this: luck has had nothing to do with it. I have worked hard and diligently from the day I started school. My parents raised my to give my absolute best and I have persevered to get where I am today.

As for those who are not as educated: it has been my experience that a majority of those who would be deemed "less educated" than me (that I have personally known, I'm not saying this is true at large) are there by choice...by making poor choices earlier in life that led to the life style they are in now. Basically, they need help because they chose to be lazy, and I have a serious problem with helping those who will not help themselves, and chose mediocrity.

The problem with wanting to help fellow americans is that our nation isn't built on generosity, it's built upon MY (for whomever the "me" is) "Life, love, and the pursuit of happiness." Capitalism is built upon the pursuit of profit and personal gain.

To say "you should do your best so that you can be forced to help others (and by extension, to create a big government)" is a slap in the face of everything that America was founded on.

cg

Seattle

Moves
24 May 09

In what regard? Because any example you can put on Democrats will also be put on Republicans, including a progressive tax system.
exactly, I would say Republicans have emasculated themselves, capitulating to the liberals and their foolish welfare and tax systems. In reality, they were more concerned with getting re-elected than they were with doing what is right

K

Germany

Moves
24 May 09

Well, the point of even trying is that you will make more if you make more, even if you pay more. In addition, redistributive policies also benefit the rich since they benefit from the higher labour productivity and lower crime rates, amongst other things. Furthermore, higher income tax rates increase incentives to start your own businesses, thus "evading" the income tax rates.

That wasn't so difficult, was it?

cg

Seattle

Moves
24 May 09

He's already passed the largest middle class tax cut in history.
I would like to clarify: he has passed the largest lower and lower-middle class tax cut in history. My family is middle class, and we are paying more taxes than ever. My mom, being an accountant looked ahead at the legislation he is going to/has already passed, we are going to be paying alot more!!!