Epidemic voter frustration

Epidemic voter frustration

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
26 Oct 15
3 edits

http://news.yahoo.com/comedian-favored-win-guatemala-presidency-anti-graft-ticket-002508182.html#

Guatemala has just elected a comedian as their President. What are his qaulifications you may ask? He tells jokes and feeds off the frustration of rampant government corruption.

Now look at the GOP. I see many similarities here. People are just fed up and are turning to anyone outside the corrupt system for help.

Of course, there are still the Progs who will hold their nose and vote for Hillary. She can lie as much as she wants cuz that's just what politicians do. 😵

Cape Town

Moves
26 Oct 15

Originally posted by whodey
Now look at the GOP. I see many similarities here. People are just fed up and are turning to anyone outside the corrupt system for help.
From what I can tell (all the way over here in SA) they are just turning to extremists, that are often extremely corrupt. I don't see them turning to anyone genuinely outside the system. Could you name anyone?

I have heard of movements to actually change the system to get big money out of politics, but as far as I know such movements are from groups in the democratic side of things.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
26 Oct 15

http://news.yahoo.com/comedian-favored-win-guatemala-presidency-anti-graft-ticket-002508182.html#

Guatemala has just elected a comedian as their President. What are his qaulifications you may ask? He tells jokes and feeds off the frustration of rampant government corruption.

Now look at the GOP. I see many similarities here. People are just fed ...[text shortened]... and vote for Hillary. She can lie as much as she wants cuz that's just what politicians do. 😵
...and your solution is what??

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Oct 15

Originally posted by bill718
MY solution would be to chuck the democratic election totally, since 100% of them are in the pockets of some group.

I would instill a democratic LOTTERY. You pass certain minimum standards, you can tie your shoes for instance, have at least an 8th grade education, have citizenship, and you are one of those on the list for the hundreds of positions in government.

AND FOR PRESIDENT: Lottery ping pong ball affair chucks out numbers at random:

Billy Parker from Idaho! Congratulations Mr. President, here are the codes to the bomb, and good luck.

Randy Newman, you are now Vice President. Get used to it.

And so forth and so on. This ensures NOBODY is bought off, at least for the first week🙂

w

Moves
26 Oct 15
1 edit

Originally posted by bill718
Federalism

I don't want to try and elect a god to run the world.

w

Moves
27 Oct 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
MY solution would be to chuck the democratic election totally, since 100% of them are in the pockets of some group.

I would instill a democratic LOTTERY. You pass certain minimum standards, you can tie your shoes for instance, have at least an 8th grade education, have citizenship, and you are one of those on the list for the hundreds of positions in go ...[text shortened]... it.

And so forth and so on. This ensures NOBODY is bought off, at least for the first week🙂
I think your approach is better than what we have today, which is needing royal blood to be elected like we see in the US and Canada, but it still falls short.

Power corrupts. The US needs to return to Federalism so that power is divided. Not only will you have much more citizen participation in government, which you seem to advocate, but you also remove the inevitability of power corrupting these mere mortals by dividing their power.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
27 Oct 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
From what I can tell (all the way over here in SA) they are just turning to extremists, that are often extremely corrupt. I don't see them turning to anyone genuinely outside the system. Could you name anyone?

I have heard of movements to actually change the system to get big money out of politics, but as far as I know such movements are from groups in the democratic side of things.
The frontrunners in the R primaries Trump and Carson are definitely outsiders.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
27 Oct 15

Federalism

I don't want to try and elect a god to run the world.
Perfect answer. 😀

w

Moves
27 Oct 15

Originally posted by normbenign
Perfect answer. 😀
It pretty much left them speechless.

I guess they have not had enough of the clowns.

Moves
28 Oct 15
1 edit

I would instill a democratic LOTTERY. You pass certain minimum standards, you can tie your shoes for instance, have at least an 8th grade education, have citizenship, and you are one of those on the list for the hundreds of positions in government.
Ted Kaczynski would've fit those criteria. So would Jim Jones. And more likely, you'd get Bubba Jay Bob "BJ" Jacksonville, graduated in absentia only because his step-dadda was elected both town sheriff and head of the school.

E

Moves
31 Oct 15

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Ted Kaczynski would've fit those criteria. So would Jim Jones. And more likely, you'd get Bubba Jay Bob "BJ" Jacksonville, graduated in absentia only because his step-dadda was elected both town sheriff and head of the school.
What leads you to believe that the politicians in power today are any better than the guys you listed? The only difference could be the position.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
31 Oct 15

I would instill a democratic LOTTERY. You pass certain minimum standards, you can tie your shoes for instance, have at least an 8th grade education, have citizenship, and you are one of those on the list for the hundreds of positions in go ...[text shortened]... it.

The process is known as sortition. It has been used by several governing bodies in the past, such as Ancient Athens and the Florentine and Venetian republics.