1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 00:28
    Originally posted by normbenign
    A corporation is legal fiction, creating a previously non-existent entity for the sole purpose of doing business. It accomplishes two basic purposes.

1. Limits legal liability for the corporation to corporate assets, making the risk of doing business more reasonable to investors.
    2. Raising capital, so that a business may grow more quickly from "pote ...[text shortened]... voluntarily, no force applied by government, other than perhaps subsidies, or tax incentives.
    Without the government, the corporate form wouldn't exist.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 01:05
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Being a citizen is also voluntary. Nobody's forcing anybody to be part of any particular country.
    Really? In America, citizenship is automatic if you are born here, even if your parents are illegal. In other countries, citizenship can't be renounced, as in East Germany, or the Soviet Union.

What that has to do with corporate ownership, I don't know.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 01:061 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Without the government, the corporate form wouldn't exist.
    Did I not just say that?
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 01:12
    Did I not just say that?
    No you didn't.

You talked a lot about the "voluntary" nature of a corporation, but the fact is people are obliged by law to treat a corporation as something it is not i.e. a person. Moreover, if you are harmed by a corporation the individuals who own it can escape paying for all the harm done leaving you uncompensated at least in part.

This is enforced by governmental fiat i.e. ultimately force.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 01:511 edit
    Really? In America, citizenship is automatic if you are born here, even if your parents are illegal. In other countries, citizenship can't be renounced, as in East Germany, or the Soviet Union.

Oh, well that's true. Communist countries don't let you renounce citizenship. But in the USA, Europe, most countries for that matter - you can easily do so.

http://www.soros.org/initiatives/justice/focus/equality_citizenship/articles_publications/articles/stateless_20090401

Estimates of the current number of stateless persons in the world range from about 11 to 15 million
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 02:02

East Germany and the Soviet Union don't exist anymore, moron.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 02:25
    No you didn't.

You talked a lot about the "voluntary" nature of a corporation, but the fact is people are obliged by law to treat a corporation as something it is not i.e. a person. Moreover, if you are harmed by a corporation the individuals who own it can escape paying for all the harm done leaving you uncompensated at least in part.

I said it is a legal fiction. That means created by the government. Moron.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 02:26
    East Germany and the Soviet Union don't exist anymore, moron.
    You thought I didn't know, idiot?
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 02:34
    No you didn't.

In my original post, I gave the two justifications or rationales for government creating the corporation, its reason d'etre.

The corporation eases the difficulty in raising capital in two ways. It allows people to buy part ownership in the new concern, and encourages them to do so, by limiting their liability to what they have invested. Without limited liability, it is doubtful anyone in their right mind would ever invest in stock.

Good ideas, and some bad ones, get funded, and people make and lose money in the process. As far as inadequate compensation for those harmed, in more cases I find that people see tort law as a lottery system whereby they can get wealth of others, and often courts award far more than compensation to the alleged victims.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 02:36
    Oh, well that's true. Communist countries don't let you renounce citizenship. But in the USA, Europe, most countries for that matter - you can easily do so.

http://www.soros.org/initiatives/justice/focus/equality_citizenship/articles_publications/articles/stateless_20090401

Estimates of the current number of stateless persons in the world range from about 11 to 15 million
    The point is that if you don't like it in America, nobody is forcing anyone to stay. Rather, with all its faults, America has more people trying to crash its borders than any other country.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 02:46
    The point is that if you don't like it in America, nobody is forcing anyone to stay. Rather, with all its faults, America has more people trying to crash its borders than any other country.
    Looks like most people are statists.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 02:49
    Looks like most people are statists.
    Most people want to live in a civil society.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree