College Professor Says Math Is Racist, Anti-Gay, etc

College Professor Says Math Is Racist, Anti-Gay, etc

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planet Rain

Moves
03 Feb 23

@mott-the-hoople said
yeah I see you speaking up all the time when those white cracker comments come out.
Of course, being a broken creature who appears to live on this forum 24/7, it never occurs to you that someone might have better things to do in life than hang around here to react to your incessant foolery. You're so insignificant in my eyes that you round down to zero. Now if you'll excuse me I have several interesting projects I want to get back to that involve things called books, so I'll leave you to wallow in your dimwitted depravity alone.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
03 Feb 23

@no1marauder said
Thankfully the word exists so we can describe someone who stupidly believes that "races" are superior/inferior to other "races".
Well said.

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
03 Feb 23

@mott-the-hoople said
so you are eliminating the fact that different races (cohorts) (minorities) are more intelligent than others?
That’s not a fact.
It’s factually not true. And factually racist.

Moves
03 Feb 23
2 edits

@shavixmir said
That’s not a fact.
It’s factually not true. And factually racist.
IQ studies have proven it time and time again.
NO study has ever shown otherwise.

Moves
03 Feb 23

@soothfast said
Of course, being a broken creature who appears to live on this forum 24/7, it never occurs to you that someone might have better things to do in life than hang around here to react to your incessant foolery. You're so insignificant in my eyes that you round down to zero. Now if you'll excuse me I have several interesting projects I want to get back to that involve things called books, so I'll leave you to wallow in your dimwitted depravity alone.
you forgot to check my grammar 😳

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Feb 23

@jj-adams said
IQ studies have proven it time and time again.
NO study has ever shown otherwise.
IQ studies have nothing to say about innate intelligence.

Moves
03 Feb 23

@no1marauder said
IQ studies have nothing to say about innate intelligence.
LOL…of course it does.

Planet Rain

Moves
03 Feb 23
2 edits

@Mott-The-Hoople

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8816982/

The abstract:

Visuo-spatial reasoning tests, such as Raven's matrices, Cattell's culture-fair test, or various subtests of the Wechsler scales, are frequently used to estimate intelligence scores in the context of inter-racial comparisons. This has led to several high-profile works claiming that certain ethnic groups have lower intelligence than others, presumably due to genetic inferiority. This logic is predicated on the assumption that such visuo-spatial tests, because they are non-verbal, must be culture-fair: that their solution process does not significantly draw on factors that vary from one culture to the next. This assumption of culture-fairness is dubious at best and has been questioned by many authors. In this article, I review the substantial body of psychological and ethnographic literature which has demonstrated that the perception, manipulation and conceptualization of visuo-spatial information differs significantly across cultures, in a way that is relevant to intelligence tests. I then outline a model of how these inter-cultural differences can affect seven major steps of the solution process for Raven's matrices, with a brief discussion of other visuo-spatial reasoning tests. Overall, a number of cultural assumptions appear to be deeply ingrained in all visuo-spatial reasoning tests, to the extent that it disqualifies the view of such tests as intrinsically culture-fair and makes it impossible to draw clear-cut conclusions from average score differences between ethnic groups.

A noteworthy paragraph:
Empirical evidence suggests that visuo-spatial intelligence tests can demonstrate substantial cultural bias, and degraded psychometric qualities, in populations that differ from Western samples. Theoretically, this makes sense: intelligence tests partly measure expertise in the manipulation of a certain type of material (Greenfield, 1998; Sternberg, 1999, 2004). A verbal test can be translated in the local language and communicated more or less appropriately with the help of an interpreter; but the structural medium of a visuo-spatial test is not translated and remains bound to the culture by which it was designed. This certainly plays a role in comparisons between countries and ethnic groups whose cultural uses of pictorial representations differ.

This is the tip of the iceberg. Literature abounds on the fraught qualities of IQ tests. What's been observed countless times is that people of all different cultures and ethniticies essentially perform equally in verbal tests, but visuo-spatial tests manifest biases. However, when subjects are schooled on the nature of the visuo-spatial tests, and what they are supposed to assess, people of different ethnicities and cultures perform as well as the white Western subjects for whom IQ tests were originally designed over a century ago.

Moves
03 Feb 23

@soothfast said
@Mott-The-Hoople

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8816982/

The abstract:
Visuo-spatial reasoning tests, such as Raven's matrices, Cattell's culture-fair test, or various subtests of the Wechsler scales, are frequently used to estimate intelligence scores in the context of inter-racial comparisons. This has led to several high-profile works claiming ...[text shortened]... .

This is the tip of the iceberg. Literature abounds on the fraught qualities of IQ tests.
nice googling…lets deal with real world experience. What accomplishments can be attributed to the different races?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Feb 23

@mott-the-hoople said
nice googling…lets deal with real world experience. What accomplishments can be attributed to the different races?
The emergence of the cosmetic physical differences that you consider "race" occurred tens of thousands of years ago.

Could you please tell us what "accomplishments" the "white race" had achieved by say 10,000 BC which showed its innate superiority to the other "races"?

Moves
03 Feb 23

@no1marauder said
The emergence of the cosmetic physical differences that you consider "race" occurred tens of thousands of years ago.

Could you please tell us what "accomplishments" the "white race" had achieved by say 10,000 BC which showed its innate superiority to the other "races"?
Could you please tell us what "accomplishments" the "black race" had achieved by say 10,000 BC which showed its innate superiority to the other "races"?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Feb 23
1 edit

@mott-the-hoople said
Could you please tell us what "accomplishments" the "black race" had achieved by say 10,000 BC which showed its innate superiority to the other "races"?
I've never made any claim that one "race" is superior to another like you have; in fact, I, like the vast majority of scientists in the relevant fields, don't believe "races" exist in humans.

So I'd like you to answer my question or withdraw your ridiculous, racist statement claiming it is " the fact that different races (cohorts) (minorities) are more intelligent than others"

Planet Rain

Moves
03 Feb 23
4 edits

@mott-the-hoople said
What you demonstrate here, as elsewhere in this very thread, is that you will not accept evidence that contradicts your racist beliefs, and by the same token will not supply evidence that supports your racist beliefs. You've "heard somewhere" about some "races" being genetically inferior intellectually, and that's what you like to hear. Your mind is closed while your mouth is open.

This is prejudicial thinking. Typically such thinking is emotion-driven. As you have said on the previous page in this thread, "You are making a decision based on emotion…not a wise choice."

Planet Rain

Moves
03 Feb 23
2 edits

@no1marauder said
I reckon the best term for these physical differences is phenotype. It's not unusual for a species of plant or animal to have a set of several common phenotypes. Still, I've never heard of any theories or experiments done that advance the idea that, say, black cats are smarter than white cats. No one says black cats and white cats are different "races," as it sounds absurd on its face. Of course, Felis domesticus appears to have but one "language" and one "culture," unlike humans.

I've been using "race" in the colloquial sense in this thread, but this perhaps is a poor choice and will henceforth make use of "phenotype" more often.

Moves
03 Feb 23

@no1marauder said
I've never made any claim that one "race" is superior to another like you have; in fact, I, like the vast majority of scientists in the relevant fields, don't believe "races" exist in humans.

So I'd like you to answer my question or withdraw your ridiculous, racist statement claiming it is " the fact that different races (cohorts) (minorities) are more intelligent than others"
there you go making a false claim…

post your link