1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '18 18:21
    @no1marauder said
    Actually he did get prosecuted. He was acquitted on one count and the jury deadlocked on five others. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-edwards/ex-senator-edwards-acquitted-on-campaign-finance-charge-idUSBRE84T1KA20120531

His defense that the payments were merely to avoid embarrassment to his family was dubious but far more plausible than it would be in this ...[text shortened]... ump directed to make the payments admits that they were for the purpose of influencing the election.
    Cohen's testimony is not worth much though. Trump can easily claim Cohen is just saying that to save his own ass.

I don't think people really care much about this aside from house democrats that feel obligated to make a big deal about it.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 03:27
    @metal-brain said
    Cohen's testimony is not worth much though. Trump can easily claim Cohen is just saying that to save his own ass.

I don't think people really care much about this aside from house democrats that feel obligated to make a big deal about it.
    Trump can claim whatever he wants, but many of his prior claims have already been shown to be falsehoods.

Contrary to your beliefs, support for impeachment of Trump is already higher than it was for Nixon at a similar point in their respective administration. As more evidence of criminal wrongdoer becomes public, it is reasonable to surmise that support will grow.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 08:54
    @no1marauder said
    Trump can claim whatever he wants, but many of his prior claims have already been shown to be falsehoods.

Contrary to your beliefs, support for impeachment of Trump is already higher than it was for Nixon at a similar point in their respective administration. As more evidence of criminal wrongdoer becomes public, it is reasonable to surmise that support will grow.
    We all know he lies a lot. Nothing new.

The house feels obligated to go forward with impeachment "just in case" they get more dirt on him. It will never make it through the Senate. More wishful thinking on your part.

Nobody really cares. It happens all the time.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 16:34
    @metal-brain said

The house feels obligated to go forward with impeachment "just in case" they get more dirt on him. It will never make it through the Senate. More wishful thinking on your part.

I still think it more likely the Donald will resign in disgrace and flee to another country than he will be impeached.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 16:401 edit
    @metal-brain said
    Why didn't John Edwards get prosecuted?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/john-edwards-hush-money-not-illegal-fec-told-121722338--abc-news-topstories.html
    John was a Swamp critter.

That's why.

If you don't belong to the Swamp, stay out or the Swamp will sink you.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 16:49
    @metal-brain said

As it turns out, so far the democrats are NOT pursuing impeachment. and I agree with them (I am dem) but not because of the impeachment process, but because it denies voters the chance to have their voice heard in 2020.
    Even his base will start realizing he is a shame on our country, an elephant in a china shop.
    The senate may flip too if enough evidence of other stuff like the Russian connection and maybe tax returns shows crim activity.
    It just depends on how much they dig up. If both house and senate says he has to go, he is gone. There are indications the senate is losing its love affair with trump as seen by the vote to stop arms sales to SA in light of the Khashoggi murder.
    It seems to me Trump is a sleazy, non-reader narcissistic sociopath with zero empathy for anyone but Donald Trump.
    You could see that clearly in the Puerto Rican hurricane, his reaction to that, throwing paper towels and his comments about the California wildfires, not a word about the near 100 people killed there. This is a person not fit to be county dog catcher much less POTUS and we would have to have clear evidence of more than campaign finance violations to get the senate to flip but if enough shyte comes down, they may in fact do just that if they realize their own longevity in the senate would be in jeopardy in 2020 for continuing to kiss Trump's ass.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 17:09
    @metal-brain said

It's a sad reflection of the dire state of U.S. democracy that a substantial portion of the populace "doesn't really care" about being represented by a senile, ignorant criminal.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '18 08:12
    @no1marauder said
    I still think it more likely the Donald will resign in disgrace and flee to another country than he will be impeached.
    Don't get ahead of yourself. First he has to be impeached. What are the odds of that? Very slim.
    You don't even know if Mueller has seen DJT's taxes. Impeachment is just the fantasy of leftists. If there were any reality to it, we would know all about his taxes by now.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '18 08:18
    @kazetnagorra said
    It's a sad reflection of the dire state of U.S. democracy that a substantial portion of the populace "doesn't really care" about being represented by a senile, ignorant criminal.
    I don't think the public in general think it is a crime. A jury didn't think John Edwards committed a crime, at least not all of them.

I care about being represented by a president that is advised by Henry Kissinger, not an affair he wanted to hide. DJT is being advised by Kissinger and so were all of the other presidents in my lifetime. They are all puppets and Kissinger delivers the orders decided upon by the elites.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Dec '18 08:19
    @metal-brain said
    Don't get ahead of yourself. First he has to be impeached. What are the odds of that? Very slim.
    You don't even know if Mueller has seen DJT's taxes. Impeachment is just the fantasy of leftists. If there were any reality to it, we would know all about his taxes by now.
    Nixon resigned before being impeached.

Your obsession with Trump's taxes is noted, but whether Mueller has them or not is rather besides the point - he has already unearthed blatant criminal activity he has made public and it is virtually certain much more will follow.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '18 08:25
    @no1marauder said
    Nixon resigned before being impeached.

Your obsession with Trump's taxes is noted, but whether Mueller has them or not is rather besides the point - he has already unearthed blatant criminal activity he has made public and it is virtually certain much more will follow.
    Your dismissal of Trump's taxes is noted.

What criminal activity? You mean "alleged" criminal activity. A jury will decide that, but not until after DJT is out of office. He generally cannot be indicted while president as you pointed out.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Dec '18 08:49
    @metal-brain said
    Your dismissal of Trump's taxes is noted.

What criminal activity? You mean "alleged" criminal activity. A jury will decide that, but not until after DJT is out of office. He generally cannot be indicted while president as you pointed out.
    No, he has unearthed criminal activity for which people have been convicted or pled guilty to. Some of which already directly implicates Donald Trump.

I and you don't have any idea whether prosecutors are making any use of Trump's tax returns, so it is little more than idle speculation to brood about them. By contrast, the public filings by Mueller and SDNY prosecutors reveal crimes and implicate Trump in them.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '18 09:56
    @no1marauder said
    No, he has unearthed criminal activity for which people have been convicted or pled guilty to. Some of which already directly implicates Donald Trump.

I and you don't have any idea whether prosecutors are making any use of Trump's tax returns, so it is little more than idle speculation to brood about them. By contrast, the public filings by Mueller and SDNY prosecutors reveal crimes and implicate Trump in them.
    Alleged.

You have to prove DJT is guilty of something before you claim he is like it is a fact. As far as the hush money goes, nobody cares about that. A jury would likely acquit him or deadlock just like J Edwards.....after DJT has served his term.

There is nothing impeachable here.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Dec '18 15:01
    @metal-brain said
    Alleged.

You have to prove DJT is guilty of something before you claim he is like it is a fact. As far as the hush money goes, nobody cares about that. A jury would likely acquit him or deadlock just like J Edwards.....after DJT has served his term.

There is nothing impeachable here.
    Could you tell me what legal authority you are relying on when you assert that President A directing someone to commit a felony to help A get elected isn't an impeachable offense?
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '18 20:44
    @no1marauder

You have to prove the allegation first. The allegation is probably true in my opinion, but it has to be proved. I should not have to explain basic stuff like this to you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree