Climate Change denial lies explained

Climate Change denial lies explained

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dsR

Big D

Moves
22 Sep 06

Originally posted by flexmore
sorry to have made you look like an idiot ... but you can take most of the credit.

- sorry i almost forgot to answer your question - yes i am a "qualified" scientist and i have been very interested in atmospheric physics and climatology for more than two decades since i first studied related elements at university. ... however qualifications are just pap.

the relevant point is the truth.
Lilliputians like you keep talking about truth and how I’m a liar or the organizations and peer-reviewed scientific studies I quote are tainted, yet not one of you can refute anything I’ve written. Like Gulliver, I strode among you and overturned your mighty paradigm with but a sneeze. Well, I guess in your benighted realm, the truth is whatever the masses write on Wikipedia that day.

dsR

Big D

Moves
22 Sep 06

sorry to have made you look like an idiot ... but you can take most of the credit.

- i almost forgot to answer your question - yes i am a "qualified" scientist and i have been very interested in atmospheric physics and climatology for more than two decades since i first studied related elements at university. ... however qualifications are just pap.

...[text shortened]... relevant point is the truth ... the truth here seems quite clear except to a few blind fools.
And another thing: If you really were a "qualified" scientist instead of just playing one on the RHP forum, you'd know that the men you impugn are some of the foremost climate scientists on the planet and involved in serious research at prestigious institutions.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
22 Sep 06
3 edits

Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
Lilliputians like you keep talking about truth and how I’m a liar or the organizations and peer-reviewed scientific studies I quote are tainted, yet not one of you can refute anything I’ve written. Like Gulliver, I strode among you and overturned your mighty paradigm with but a sneeze. Well, I guess in your benighted realm, the truth is whatever the masses write on Wikipedia that day.
knowledge advances through a central body sluggishly weighing down like a big heavy turtle.

climate change is that huge turtle.

you are a pesky little mosquito buzzing around the big armoured turtle ... mostly you just waste everyone's time ...

sometimes turtles get malaria and that is your 1 in a thousand
hope for glory.

people like you need to be around - but you must understand that the rest of us will not simply agree with you.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
22 Sep 06

knowledge advances through a central body sluggishly weighing down like a big heavy turtle.

climate change is that huge turtle.

you are a pesky little mosquito buzzing around the big armoured turtle ... mostly you just waste everyone's time ...

sometimes turtles get malaria and that is your 1 in a thousand
hope for glory.

people like you need to be around - but you must understand that the rest of us will not simply agree with you.
Just out of curiosity, what are your qualifications? What background to you have in science?

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
22 Sep 06

you'd know that the men you impugn are some of the foremost climate scientists on the planet and involved in serious research at prestigious institutions.
please pick one and then lets have a much, much closer look

h

Cosmos

Moves
22 Sep 06

All the sites you've quoted have been shown to be written by people paid to lie by ExxonMobil.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
22 Sep 06

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
Just out of curiosity, what are your qualifications? What background to you have in science?
i think the only important qualification is a desire to know the truth.

anything else i am ashamed to admit having wasted years of my life accumulating.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
22 Sep 06

i think the only important qualification is a desire to know the truth.

anything else i am ashamed to admit having wasted years of my life accumulating.
Quack!

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
22 Sep 06

ROOOAAAARR !!!!!!!!!

dsR

Big D

Moves
22 Sep 06

ROOOAAAARR !!!!!!!!!
Cluck, cluck, cluck!!!

TANSTAAFL

Walking on sunshine

Moves
22 Sep 06

The climate change debate will probably never be settled, since there's no way we can have a control (i.e., another earth that is allowed to develop changes in climate without us digging up everything combustible and burning it). FWIW, here's my take on it:

- Burning of fossil fuels clearly produces short term local effects (i.e., smog), and likely also long term global effects (although the significance of these effects in relation to other factors is disputed).

- Simply slowing down our burn rate will likely make little difference to any long term effects of the past decades of emissions. Even if we stopped cold turkey, it would probably take a similar amount of time for the pollutants already in the atmosphere to dissipate naturally as it did for us to put them there in the first place.

- The Kyoto protocol is mostly directed to setting up an emission trading system with an aim to reduce overall emissions. It does not address the core problem, which is that we are apparently unable to move around the globe without leaving a trail of smoke.

- A crisis (either environmental or economic) is probably the only thing that will provide enough incentive to develop practical cleaner energy sources and/or effective methods of removing pollutants from the atmosphere.

rich

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
23 Sep 06

You’re completely free to live like Java man if it suits you
Please dial down the hyperbole a little. 'Hurting the economy', even if it's true, is hardly the same as 'causing such massive damage to the economy that civilisation collapses and we descend into the dark ages'.

I seriously doubt that the economic damage would be more than a few less people being able to afford plasma TVs and excessively large cars. We would adjust.

Anyway, I've heard quite a few commentators argue that there WOULDN'T be any OVERALL economic damage. Some industries would suffer, and they'd be replaced by others.

The market changes all the time. People are buying smaller cars not just for environmental reasons but because they don't want to keep throwing so much money at the petrol. If you want to talk about economics, let's talk about the fact that a lot of things we use aren't appropriately priced because the waste and pollution management costs aren't factored in.

E
YNWA

Moves
23 Sep 06

Besides, in another eight years, everyone will have forgotten about global warming and instead will be talking about global cooling.
Could you explain this please (reference preferred)?

E
YNWA

Moves
23 Sep 06
1 edit

Computer climate modeling is wildly inaccurate, the hockey stick theory has been discredited
Do you have a reference for this?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Sep 06

Originally posted by orfeo
Please dial down the hyperbole a little. 'Hurting the economy', even if it's true, is hardly the same as 'causing such massive damage to the economy that civilisation collapses and we descend into the dark ages'.
I agree completely.

But is it compatible with:
What use is an economy going to be when most of the planet is dead?

I think there are hyperboles on both sides of this issue.