1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Aug '15 00:271 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Our rich folks want unfettered access to the wealth and resources of other people's lands. Can't do that without hired guns. It's cheaper for them to spread the cost around to the People rather than hire mercenaries.
    I'm not so sure that it can be blamed on rich folks. The political class of both parties love all the military toys, and seem to take advantage of every chance to use them.

The rich folks are referred to as the 1%. How do they hold the political clout to overrule the other 99%?
  2. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    21 Aug '15 16:49
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That may be true of every world power in history. What ever happened to keeping out of foreign entanglements. Why can't we just mind our own business?
    American prosperity in the postwar era has surely been substantially dependent on its being at the heart of an international economic system premised on (relatively) free trade - including the dollar's role as the world's reserve currency. Isn't there a contradiction between a belief in free trade and a belief in isolationism? Isolationism means, surely, autarky.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Aug '15 20:10
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I'm not so sure that it can be blamed on rich folks. The political class of both parties love all the military toys, and seem to take advantage of every chance to use them.

The rich folks are referred to as the 1%. How do they hold the political clout to overrule the other 99%?
    Don't have to overrule them; just rule them.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Aug '15 20:11
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    American prosperity in the postwar era has surely been substantially dependent on its being at the heart of an international economic system premised on (relatively) free trade - including the dollar's role as the world's reserve currency. Isn't there a contradiction between a belief in free trade and a belief in isolationism? Isolationism means, surely, autarky.
    Why does a belief in free trade automatically include a belief in foreign military adventures?
  5. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    21 Aug '15 22:52
    Why does a belief in free trade automatically include a belief in foreign military adventures?
    It doesn't automatically do so; but when a nation's prosperity is dependent on a complex international system, it may make foreign military adventures more likely. If events abroad threaten to undermine that system, action is likely to be taken.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Aug '15 14:54
    You tell me. Why does it always prove to do so? Theoretically, it doesn't have to... but it invariably turns out that way.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    23 Aug '15 17:20
    Contracts need to be enforced

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree