Capitalism: A Love Story

Capitalism: A Love Story

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Oct 09

My wife and I saw the movie yesterday. It is a point beyond contention that not only is this the greatest movie ever made in the history of the universe, but it is the greatest possible movie to make in any possible universe. As this is an incontrovertible statement of fact and not a topic for debate, I mention it only in passing. The only point up for debate is whether we should merely elect Michael Moore as the next president, or whether we should deify him as a living god.

K

Germany

Moves
03 Oct 09

Is he actually making a point this time?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 Oct 09

Did you cry?

STS

Moves
03 Oct 09

Fantastic what does your hero Moore suggest we do?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
03 Oct 09

Originally posted by rwingett
My wife and I saw the movie yesterday. It is a point beyond contention that not only is this the greatest movie ever made in the history of the universe, but it is the greatest possible movie to make in any possible universe. As this is an incontrovertible statement of fact and not a topic for debate, I mention it only in passing. The only point up for deba ...[text shortened]... erely elect Michael Moore as the next president, or whether we should deify him as a living god.
Michael Moore has a point ... and even a lot more than one if you ask me ... but his "analysis" is too simple, too superficial and too much aimed at making popular easy-selling anti-statements.

J

Moves
03 Oct 09

My wife and I saw the movie yesterday. It is a point beyond contention that not only is this the greatest movie ever made in the history of the universe, but it is the greatest possible movie to make in any possible universe. As this is an incontrovertible statement of fact and not a topic for debate, I mention it only in passing. The only point up for deba ...[text shortened]... erely elect Michael Moore as the next president, or whether we should deify him as a living god.
I love that guy. He makes a lot of sense to me.

http://www.capitalismalovestory.com/

Citizen's arrest. Beautiful. Just beautiful. Can't wait to see this film myself.

Bush: "Capitalism offers people the freedom to choose where they work."
Shall we say fully matured woman: "There isn't anything in here. I'm not gonna be a gentlemen's club hired dancer."

LOL!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Oct 09

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Fantastic what does your hero Moore suggest we do?
He suggests that America adopt a functioning democracy. One point that I have repeatedly raised in these forums that he touched on was the need for economic democracy. If we are indeed advocates of democracy then we should be in favor of democratizing the economic sphere by fostering employee ownership of companies. As the benefits of this are undeniable, I assume that you're on board.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
03 Oct 09

He suggests that America adopt a functioning democracy. One point that I have repeatedly raised in these forums that he touched on was the need for economic democracy. If we are indeed advocates of democracy then we should be in favor of democratizing the economic sphere by fostering employee ownership of companies. As the benefits of this are undeniable, I assume that you're on board.
You're free to do this now.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
03 Oct 09

It is an aspect of capitalism that you are free to communally hold property, such as companies.

Blade Runner

Republicants

Moves
03 Oct 09

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Michael Moore has a point ... and even a lot more than one if you ask me ... but his "analysis" is too simple, too superficial and too much aimed at making popular easy-selling anti-statements.
...what, he's muscling into Beck-O'Reilly territory?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Oct 09

Originally posted by ivanhoe
One part of the movie that I'm sure you would appreciate is how Moore depicted several Catholic clergymen as being defenders of the downtrodden. He interviewed a Detroit priest and a bishop who had little good to say about capitalism. Then in one part, during the Republic Window sit-in strike, there was another bishop there to support the workers and give them communion. It was a glimpse into the nobler side of the Church that, unfortunately, is seldom seen these days.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Oct 09

Originally posted by Wajoma
You're free to do this now.
It needs far greater institutional support.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Oct 09

Originally posted by Wajoma
It is an aspect of capitalism that you are free to communally hold property, such as companies.
And if capitalism is to redeem itself, this is the area in which it will have to move.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
03 Oct 09

It needs far greater institutional support.
So form an 'institution' you're free to do that as well. Put your money where your mouth is, so to speak.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 Oct 09

Interestingly, it seems Michael Moore accuses several presidents of corruption at the very top. It seems many people agree with this, but are not claiming for the investigation/arrest of these individuals.

And even those that do not agree with Moore, tend to disagree on the solution moving forward and his conclusion that 'capitalism is evil', but I have yet to see anybody deny the accusations of corruption.