1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 00:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Keep dreaming guys.
    His chances are far better than Donald's. He has more supporters.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 02:41
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I think most Democrats would be overjoyed if the Republicans nominate Trump.
    I think most Democrats could care less who Republicans nominate.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 03:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    The last poll in Iowa (Monmouth) had Hillary up by 22 points. I think it's virtually impossible for Sanders to win Iowa. A narrow loss in Iowa followed by a win in NH may be the best he can hope for, which may be enough to get him back in the game.

Hillary also has a huge lead in endorsements. True, she also had a big endorsements lead in 2008, but Obama was the perfect insurgent candidate. Sanders is not really on the same level.
    Finally, Hillary can beat a 90 year old man in an election. LOL.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 05:521 edit
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    This article makes the case that he can (and will).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/bernie-sanders-will-become-president_b_8780730.html

Most pundits and those of us with extensive experience watching these races would say otherwise. In fact most pundits, to whom this writer is responding, would say she has it in the bag.

I would say to the ...[text shortened]... ot my first choice. Nor my second. But she will probably be there come the January after next.
    I've donated to the Bernie Sanders campaign several times now. Maybe up to $200, plus some bumper stickers and so on.

I hope he will win, of course. There is a conceivable path, though certainly the odds are against him. It's been said by others such as Nate Silver, I believe: the national polls don't mean anything right now. Just the early primary/caucus state polls matter, and even they aren't very predictive until you get into January.

Iowa is a caucus state, which plays to the strengths of the Bernie campaign's young, enthusiastic, energetic activist base. It is this base that makes Bernie's candidacy quite comparable to Obama's 2008 campaign. Caucus states are often hard to gauge with polls, but right now Bernie is within striking distance of winning Iowa. Winning narrowly in Iowa would be all it takes to create a national sensation that would buoy Bernie's numbers in other states. The big difference between Bernie and Obama in 2008, I think, is that while Obama won Iowa and then went on to lose New Hampshire, Bernie would likely also win New Hampshire should he win in Iowa. This is simply because New Hampshire is Bernie's backyard and he's already polling strongly there. Should that happen, the situation in states such as South Carolina, Nevada, and so on could change radically.

Media and social networks I think are having the effect of magnifying the significance of early primaries and caucuses -- and in fact are magnifying the impact of every little thing that happens in the nominating process of both political parties. Things "go viral" like they never used to a decade ago, so that predicting what happens in politics gets more and more like a study in chaos theory. So, if Bernie wins Iowa AND New Hampshire, well, I think a "viral" phenomenon could conceivably sweep Hillary off the map, or at least result in Bernie achieving lasting parity in the polls with her. In such a scenario, it may be that Hillary will only win on account of having more so-called superdelegates, which would be grievously unfortunate.

If Bernie loses, I still think he'll have done a lot of good. He helps to keep Hillary honest and energize the Democratic base. He's bringing the serious issues to the forefront, and he can help Hillary to win against whichever frothing fascist or theocrat the other-party-which-shall-remain-nameless nominates. I don't think Bernie should become Hillary's running mate should Hillary win the nomination, as he'd be more useful in the Senate.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 07:061 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Wouldn't someone who wants a Democrat to win prefer that the Democratic candidate faces a terribly weak candidate like Trump? Sanders could murder baby Jesus live on TV and he'd still beat Trump.

Of course, neither Trump nor Sanders will win the nomination (although Sanders has a small realistic chance).
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 08:08
    Au contraire, mon wingnut. I really, really, really, really hope the Rep****can party picks Trump. Run, gerbil-top, run! 😉
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 09:21
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    His chances are far better than Donald's. He has more supporters.
    That depends on how much more comes out on her emails.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 09:32
    Originally posted by bill718
    It's possible I suppose. I like Bernie, and would be happier with him in the oval office rather than one of the tea bots.
    That kinda goes without saying. 🙂
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 09:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That depends on how much more comes out on her emails.
    The emails are yesterday's news. And as Bernie said, America is tired of hearing about the damned emails. Even Benghazi has been de-fanged. There's not much in the way of old news that can trip her up. But a win by Bernie in either IA or NH will make people sit up and take notice.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 09:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The emails are yesterday's news. And as Bernie said, America is tired of hearing about the damned emails. Even Benghazi has been de-fanged. There's not much in the way of old news that can trip her up. But a win by Bernie in either IA or NH will make people sit up and take notice.
    I am not tired of hearing about them. She is not behind bars yet. 😏
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 12:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    Finally, Hillary can beat a 90 year old man in an election. LOL.
    What do you mean, 90? He was only 85🙂
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 16:23
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    This article confirms that Bernie has gotten very little media coverage: http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/12/11/abc-world-news-tonight-has-devoted-less-than-on/207428

Whether that is ideologically based or not, it will surely be the case that victories by Sanders in Iowa and New Hampshire would compel greater coverage.
    I agree that Hillary's invincibility could tumble when actual voting starts.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 16:27
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Wouldn't someone who wants a Democrat to win prefer that the Democratic candidate faces a terribly weak candidate like Trump? Sanders could murder baby Jesus live on TV and he'd still beat Trump.

Of course, neither Trump nor Sanders will win the nomination (although Sanders has a small realistic chance).
    Trump is way ahead in nationwide polls which typically mean nothing this early. In Iowa Cruz is about equal with him. Cruz is the more experienced electoral politician. In a marathon, anyone can run out to a big lead in the first five miles.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Dec '15 20:01
    Trump is way ahead in nationwide polls which typically mean nothing this early. In Iowa Cruz is about equal with him. Cruz is the more experienced electoral politician. In a marathon, anyone can run out to a big lead in the first five miles.
    Cruz is "the more experienced electoral politician" than Trump by virtue of running in one election.
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    16 Dec '15 19:46
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Of all the candidates in either party Bernie received the most new Twitter followers. I don't know if that means anything, but it's an interesting reaction to a Republican debate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree