Average cost of a new car

Average cost of a new car

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
01 Mar 13

Originally posted by joe beyser
Taxation is one issue and over taxation is legal extortion. If they take my money and give it to a corporation to move its plant to a foreign country it is larceny. Same thing if they are giving my money to failed banks and they use it for their own bonuses. You just need to clear your head of all that chit inside that makes you incapable of common sense.
It is exactly the attitudes like his that many people in other countries can't afford to buy new vehicles. They have a lower standard of living and are duped into believing that it is a good thing. When I say lower standard of living, I mean less spending money to buy things that are more expensive. That's not a good combination.

Moves
02 Mar 13

Originally posted by Eladar
It is exactly the attitudes like his that many people in other countries can't afford to buy new vehicles. They have a lower standard of living and are duped into believing that it is a good thing. When I say lower standard of living, I mean less spending money to buy things that are more expensive. That's not a good combination.
If we could harness the energy that is put into this kind of complaining, we'd have energy independence.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Mar 13
1 edit

Taxation is one issue and over taxation is legal extortion. If they take my money and give it to a corporation to move its plant to a foreign country it is larceny. Same thing if they are giving my money to failed banks and they use it for their own bonuses. You just need to clear your head of all that chit inside that makes you incapable of common sense.
Yeah, more semantics will get this discussion going somewhere.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Mar 13

Originally posted by JS357
If we could harness the energy that is put into this kind of complaining, we'd have energy independence.
Or a large vineyard, at least.

jb

Moves
02 Mar 13

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Or a large vineyard, at least.
We would need a cheese factory near the vineyard too. lol. You europeeans are brainwashed that disagreement with the government is complaining. The government is alway right in everything they do. You guys are going to have to start growing a pair of cohones!!!!!

K

Germany

Moves
02 Mar 13

We would need a cheese factory near the vineyard too. lol. You europeeans are brainwashed that disagreement with the government is complaining. The government is alway right in everything they do. You guys are going to have to start growing a pair of cohones!!!!!
I have lots of criticism for various governments. The difference, perhaps, is that my criticism tends to be coherent, consistent and constructive.

E

Moves
02 Mar 13

It hit me this morning exactly where the idea that all money is really the government's and that you only deserve that part of your labor that the government decides you should keep. It come directly from the Manor!

The idea that what you earn through your labors is really yours stems from the idea that you are free. You give up part of what's yours in exchange for services such as common defense or bridges and roads.

I'm afraid that Europeans have been bread to see themselves as serfs to the Lord while in the US we gained our freedom and see ourselves as free people.

Very interesting to see how this plays out in modern times.

jb

Moves
02 Mar 13

It hit me this morning exactly where the idea that all money is really the government's and that you only deserve that part of your labor that the government decides you should keep. It come directly from the Manor!

The idea that what you earn through your labors is really yours stems from the idea that you are free. You give up part of what's yours in e ...[text shortened]... see ourselves as free people.

Well they were brought up that way. Given enough time Americans will be in the same boat. Freedom is a concept foreign to the younger generation as well as the Europeans. Kazet has no problem with not being free as long as he feels he is coherent and other attributes commonly associated with kiddy deca club members. In fact he would argue against freedom if he thought it would make him look smart. As they sit back in their ity bity titty committees smoking their virginia slim cigarettes pontificating the advantages of Marxism and pointing out American contradiction of values based on historical events, We are trying to keep what we have left of our freedom.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Mar 13

More talking the talk, but not walking the walk. If you hate paying taxes so much, why are you? Go live in a cabin in the woods. The government won't mind.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
02 Mar 13

The idea that what you earn through your labors is really yours stems from the idea that you are free. You give up part of what's yours in e ...[text shortened]... see ourselves as free people.

You really are madder than a March Hare that's taken mad pills. In England the last serfs were freed under Elizabeth I it's been a long time since that, what is more we chopped the next but one King's head off, largely over taxation. 150 years later the French had a revolution and also chopped their King's head off, as I remember the U.S. score on kings beheaded is zero.

jb

Moves
02 Mar 13

More talking the talk, but not walking the walk. If you hate paying taxes so much, why are you? Go live in a cabin in the woods. The government won't mind.
Obama care made that not an option. Must file every year just to pay fine.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Mar 13

Obama care made that not an option. Must file every year just to pay fine.
You don't have to be part of the system if you don't want to. There are only 50,000 people in Lapland, plenty of room for you. I hope you like moose.

E

Moves
02 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by DeepThought
You really are madder than a March Hare that's taken mad pills. In England the last serfs were freed under Elizabeth I it's been a long time since that, what is more we chopped the next but one King's head off, largely over taxation. 150 years later the French had a revolution and also chopped their King's head off, as I remember the U.S. score on kings beheaded is zero.
That's the problem the serfs were freed, they did not rebel and overthrow their masters. They were simply servants of the state allowed to leave the land and serve the state in another way. You are the decenants of slaves and continue on in your slave point of view. You are slaves to your government, and it appears we are too. More the pitty.

The French simply replaced one set of aristocrats for another. They had no example of our mountain men. There was no frontier to survive on your own and to live your own life.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
02 Mar 13

Originally posted by sh76
That info comes straight from John Grisham.

And he's never been wrong.
The trouble with comparisons of new cars over several decades, is that the content has changed so dramatically, partly market driven, and partly regulatory.

Even econoboxes today include airconditioning, which was an extra on most luxury cars even in the '60s. Automatic transmissions and sound systems are standard these days. Finally, the fit and finish, and quality of engine, brakes, and suspensions is so radically better today, there is no comparison.

A lot of that quality is the result of foreign competition in the American car market. Now it isn't just Honda and Toyota that have tales of 300,000 mile owners, but most American manufacturers do as well.

Right now I own the oldest cars of my life, but they are in better shape than much younger models of 30 years ago.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
02 Mar 13

Did the government ever confiscate any of your income or belongings?
Yes!