1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 May '10 05:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    Only for 4 weeks? It would seem to me that campaigning begins much sooner or would be begun much sooner if time limitations were placed on them.
    Yes. Maybe. I'm sure you're right. Look, I'm not really interested in discussing my "proposal". Sorry. Run with the ball by all means.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    15 May '10 08:55
    Sorry, I meant in the US. I'm sure that the left in other countries has more sense than those in the states.
    Well, "the left" in the U.S. are a bunch of hippies located primarily around the San Fransisco bay area. You wouldn't make a lot of sense if you were on acid all day.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    15 May '10 09:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    How about elections funded with relatively small amounts of taxpayers' money, with legislation passed to obligate terrestial TV channels (which use the general public's airwaves) to broadcast short party political broadcasts for 4 weeks leading up to the ballot? Politicians could run blogs and web sites, write OP-EDs, and travel around the country making speeche ...[text shortened]... nd TV. Make it illegal to distort the political process with cash. Make elections about ideas.
    This is somewhat similar to how it works here, except that you are allowed to receive private donations if you forfeit state subsidies. Only two right-wing populist parties do this, mainly because receiving the state subsidies also forces a party to have a certain organizational structure with "members" who get a say in how the party is run.
  4. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    15 May '10 11:45
    He is the lowest of the low because he posed as a conservative. People then turned on conservatism and voted for the Dems, but now we have "W" on steriods via Obama. I think people now see how closely the two operate. We spend uncontrollably without raising taxes enough to cover such spending. In addition, we add to the mix massive entitlements that will ...[text shortened]... a result of both "W" and Obama's policies the two party system may have its days numbered.
    Obama's domestic spending has been entirely necessary to fix an economic crisis that resulted from three decades of Reagan-Bush economic policies, combined with mismanagement more recently by the Bush-Cheney administration. In fact, the stimulus package was smaller than it should have been, and the economic crisis would have been fixed faster if there'd been more domestic spending.

As for taxes, Obama is looking to crack down on corporate tax evasion, plus the Bush tax cuts will be left to expire for people earning over $250,000 per year. As for the Reagan-Bush national debt, I'll repost this graph:

http://zfacts.com/p/318.html

So let's not forget which party is responsible for the national debt since 1980, due to neoconservative military spending and tax cuts for the rich and corporations.
  5. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    15 May '10 11:50
    Are conservatives kill joys? We stand up and say such things as, you need to balance your budgets. You need to have a handle on immigration. You need to be energy independent and anything less is unacceptable. You need to focus on people getting back to work more than entitlements that those who have jobs left are paying for.

Its hard being politically ...[text shortened]... out there, I left out, "Don't forget to eat your vegetables or there will be no desert!!" 😠
    We might be energy independent today if it hadn't been for Reagan hijacking Ford and Carter's good work on alternative energy. After trashing alternative energy, Reagan and later the Bush-Cheney administration proceeded to do various awful things in oil-rich countries.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 May '10 12:33
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, "the left" in the U.S. are a bunch of hippies located primarily around the San Fransisco bay area. You wouldn't make a lot of sense if you were on acid all day.
    😀
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 May '10 12:351 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. Maybe. I'm sure you're right. Look, I'm not really interested in discussing my "proposal". Sorry. Run with the ball by all means.
    Speaking of having the ball, why not treat them like collegiate players? If they so much as accept one dollar EVER or a "favor" they will be declared INELIGABLE and dismissed. 😀

If they claim to be public servants I'm sure they will not mind living in a glass house......NOT!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree