Al Gores inconvenient reality

Al Gores inconvenient reality

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
02 Aug 17
1 edit

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA679.html

In powering his home, Al Gore still greatly outpaces most Americans in energy consumption. The findings were shocking:

• The past year, Gore's home energy use averaged 19,241 kilowatt hours (kWh) every month, compared to the U.S. household average of 901 kWh per month.

• Gore guzzles more electricity in one year than the average American family uses in 21 years.

• In September of 2016, Gore's home consumed 30,993 kWh in just one month – as much energy as a typical American family burns in 34 months.

• During the last 12 months, Gore devoured 66,159 kWh of electricity just heating his pool. That is enough energy to power six average U.S. households for a year.

• From August 2016 through July 2017, Gore spent almost $22,000 on electricity bills

• Gore paid an estimated $60,000 to install 33 solar panels. Those solar panels produce an average of 1,092 kWh per month, only 5.7% of Gore's typical monthly energy consumption.

No matter how the numbers are viewed, Al Gore uses vastly more electricity at his home than the average American – a particularly inconvenient truth given his hypocritical calls for all Americans to reduce their home energy use.

The Data

All information included in this report was acquired through open records requests and phone calls to NES, the public electric utility for the Gore property and much of the Nashville area.

The records supplied by NES provide thorough information about Gore's home energy consumption – including kWh consumed, the amount of energy produced by solar panels on the property, money donated to the Green Power Switch program and the billing charges associated with the property's electricity usage.​

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Aug 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @whodey
http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA679.html

In powering his home, Al Gore still greatly outpaces most Americans in energy consumption. The findings were shocking:

• The past year, Gore's home energy use averaged 19,241 kilowatt hours (kWh) every month, compared to the U.S. household average of 901 kWh per month.

• Gore guzzles more electricity in on ...[text shortened]... Power Switch program and the billing charges associated with the property's electricity usage.​
Your not understanding this whodey...The politicial class wants YOU (the underclass) to quit using electricity. He's not a hypocrite piece of garbage at all, he's just a good liberal leader.

w

Moves
02 Aug 17

Originally posted by @joe-shmo
Your not understanding this whodey...The politicial class wants YOU (the underclass) to quit using electricity. He's not a hypocrite piece of garbage at all, he's just a good liberal leader.
Damn your eyes!

Why am I just now being told this?

E

Moves
02 Aug 17

Liberals like to keep the little guy in check by making things expensive. Make it too expensive and only the elites can use it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Aug 17

Fido And Fluffy Are Ruining The Environment, UCLA Study Says

https://patch.com/california/hollywood/fido-fluffy-are-hurting-environment-ucla-study-says

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
03 Aug 17

Well to be accurate nobody wants you (rich or poor) to use less energy, but rather to use less energy from environmentally damaging sources. If you can generate your energy from solar, wind, tide or other renewable and carbon neutral sources, then you do much less harm.

So your key line is of course this one:
"Gore paid an estimated $60,000 to install 33 solar panels. Those solar panels produce an average of 1,092 kWh per month, only 5.7% of Gore's typical monthly energy consumption. "

Yes he is a hypocrite in this respect. A blemish like this must utterly discredit everything Gore ever said.

E

Moves
03 Aug 17

Originally posted by @finnegan
Well to be accurate nobody wants you (rich or poor) to use less energy, but rather to use less energy from environmentally damaging sources. If you can generate your energy from solar, wind, tide or other renewable and carbon neutral sources, then you do much less harm.

"Gore paid an estimated $60,000 to instal ...[text shortened]... ypocrite in this respect. A blemish like this must utterly discredit everything Gore ever said.
His lies are what should discredit what he said.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
03 Aug 17

Originally posted by @eladar
His lies are what should discredit what he said.
Maybe so.

Give us an example.

E

Moves
03 Aug 17

Maybe so.

Give us an example.
https://skepticalscience.com/print.php?a=74

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
03 Aug 17
2 edits

https://skepticalscience.com/print.php?a=74
I asked for examples of lies, not errors. With a world of politicial lies to choose from, in Gore's long career, you decided to offer this reference about errors in his film on climate change.

The errors listed do not seem to change much.
It's worth pointing out that Al Gore is a politician, not a climate scientist. Debunking Gore does not disprove anthropogenic global warming. Nevertheless, it is instructive to look at the purported errors in An Inconvenient Truth as it reveals a lot about climate science and the approach of his critics.

Your reference shows that Gore got things broadly right and that his critics are not in reality vindicated by the fact checking. Indeed, quite the reverse:
Contrary to James Taylor's article, the American Meteorological Society's Journal of Climate never said growing glaciers are "confounding global warming alarmists" - that's a quote from the Heartland Institute website written by... James Taylor. He's actually quoting himself and attributing it to the AMS!

So you give me a fact checking source that fails to show Gore telling lies, shows that despite some errors he got things broadly right, and exposes his critics as being poorly informed or dishonest.

Where do I even start to deal with your gormless stupidity?

E

Moves
04 Aug 17

I asked for examples of lies, not errors. With a world of politicial lies to choose from, in Gore's long career, you decided to offer this reference about errors in his film on climate change.

The errors listed do not seem to change much. [quote]It's worth pointing out that Al Gore is a politician, not a climate scientist. Debunking Gore does not dispr ...[text shortened]... g poorly informed or dishonest.

Where do I even start to deal with your gormless stupidity?
Al Gore said there would be no more snow on kilaminjaro.

It was a lie.

You asked for one, you received one.

Good day

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Aug 17

"Gore paid an estimated $60,000 to instal ...[text shortened]... ypocrite in this respect. A blemish like this must utterly discredit everything Gore ever said.
Do I detect a tinge of sarcasm here?

Ok, so on average with the solar panels he consumes 18,000 kWh per month. That is 51 times my monthly consumption (and I'm fairly well off in America).

So he is a hypocrite of epic proportions , end of discussion. That is all I claimed. How much power does your home consume on a monthly basis?

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
04 Aug 17

Al Gore said there would be no more snow on kilaminjaro.

It was a lie.

You asked for one, you received one.

Good day
It was an error based on what he knew at the time.
Indeed deforestation seems to be causing Mount Kilimanjaro's shrinking glacier so Gore got this wrong. In his defence, the study by Philip Mote came out after Gore's film was made.

But let's say it's a lie, it is not one that anyone would easily spot on being introduced to the page which you linked. When you were asked for an example of a lie, any example, from the long career of someone I never claimed to admire, because I don't, or support, because I don't, why pick a web-page written in his defence which debunks most of the allegations against his film and defends his minor errors? Why not pick a source that clearly supports the argument you want to make instead of refuting it? I bet I could find much better examples of Gore lying than you can manage. I repeat - I do not support Gore or admire him!

But I do not support idiot climate change deniers either. I just wish Americans would examine the subject more intelligently because your collectve stupidity is dangerous. .

You are just a fool and you know it.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
04 Aug 17

Do I detect a tinge of sarcasm here?

Ok, so on average with the solar panels he consumes 18,000 kWh per month. That is 51 times my monthly consumption (and I'm fairly well off in America).

So he is a hypocrite of epic proportions , end of discussion. That is all I claimed. How much power does your home consume on a monthly basis?
Do you detect a tinge of what you said? I hope so. Well done.

My home consumes too much as we brought up a family here. The family has grown up and one day we may sell it and get something more suited to our needs: a music room, an art / hobby room, a bigger library, a room for the TV I never watch, a room for visitors. Smaller, anyhow.

E

Moves
04 Aug 17

It was an error based on what he knew at the time.
Indeed deforestation seems to be causing Mount Kilimanjaro's shrinking glacier so Gore got this wrong. In his defence, the study by Philip Mote came out after Gore's film was made.

But let's say it's a lie, it is not one that anyone would easily spot on being introduced to the page which ...[text shortened]... gently because your collectve stupidity is dangerous. .

You are just a fool and you know it.
I do not care what it was based on. Perhaps you do, but that's because of your ideological beliefs.

If you would be so kind, would you acknowledge that I provided you with the lie you requested?