what has happened to metal?

what has happened to metal?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
17 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by badmoon
So I won't tell this death metal cat to date my daughter. that what you're saying?
Lol, what can I say? you're probably quite safe for its a fantasy trip for most i guess, the closest she will get to a goblet of blood, is a carton of ribena berry juice drink and the closets to eating a horses afterbirth, some of those awful Big Macs!

death metals not the problem, its black metal that's a little sinister as far as i can tell, for some, especially the Norwegians, for their music comes with an ideology which some have put into practice, thus the suicides, murders, church burnings etc etc.

K

Germany

Moves
17 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Lol, what can I say? you're probably quite safe for its a fantasy trip for most i guess, the closest she will get to a goblet of blood, is a carton of ribena berry juice drink and the closets to eating a horses afterbirth, some of those awful Big Macs!

death metals not the problem, its black metal that's a little sinister as far as i can tell, f ...[text shortened]... eology which some have put into practice, thus the suicides, murders, church burnings etc etc.
Black metal isn't sinister - there was just a group of frustrated kids in the early 90s who tried to be as evil as possible, and it got a bit out of hand with the murders and church burnings and stuff. Varg Vikernes, of Burzum fame, convicted of murdering his Mayhem bandmate was actually due to be released from prison already but his sentence was lengthened because he tried to escape - lol.

But despite the ridiculous aesthetics, some of the music is really great. Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk is one of the most intense and chaotic - yet beautiful - pieces of music ever written.

Suicide Bishop

Moves
18 May 09

despite the ridiculous aesthetics, some of the music is really great. Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk is one of the most intense and chaotic - yet beautiful - pieces of music ever written.[/b]
...Agreed. As is Arcturus' Aspera Hiems Simpfonia, and Amorphis' Tales From the Thousand Lakes and Elegy. And let's not forget Nightwish (another Finnish band). The Gathering makes some rather beautiful music as well.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
18 May 09

Originally posted by StTito
It is a sad state when aging metalheads get all nostalgic about how things used to be. When you all were what 16-20 you laughed in the face of the old dudes who thought your music was just noise and crap and such. There is nothing more depressing to see old coggers yammering on how things were better in their days. Hell I'm 35 and i'm not done trying to expan ...[text shortened]... off your devil horns and put out some effort or shut up and die into obscurity. Purists suck!
Chill, bozo, I'm in my mid 30s as well and I still hide my taste for some early metal bands. I am officially a jazz & blues fan 😛

rc

Moves
18 May 09

Originally posted by rking00
...Agreed. As is Arcturus' Aspera Hiems Simpfonia, and Amorphis' Tales From the Thousand Lakes and Elegy. And let's not forget Nightwish (another Finnish band). The Gathering makes some rather beautiful music as well.
Lol, i must be getting old, they all sound the same 🙂

K

Germany

Moves
18 May 09

Originally posted by rking00
You name some good bands, though I prefer Arcturus' The Sham Mirrors.

And Nightwish is awful.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
18 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
And Nightwish is awful.
Have more respect for the pride of Finland, lol.

Or at least don't say it to Finns while you're here.

Want to hear some real Finnish talent? Youtube kotiteollisuus and Stam1na.

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
18 May 09
1 edit

chill bozo
well that makes sense. Jazz fans are pretentious and blues fans are hopeless. And I never said that metal fans hide their passion for music, they just feel like they are a pariah. Metal fans ware there passion on their sleeve(preferably a metal studded leather sleeve or on a hot day a sleevless T). Having said that I will go back to being my pretentious, hopeless sleevless self now thank you.

rc

Moves
18 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by StTito
well that makes sense. Jazz fans are pretentious and blues fans are hopeless. And I never said that metal fans hide their passion for music, they just feel like they are a pariah. Metal fans ware there passion on their sleeve(preferably a metal studded leather sleeve or on a hot day a sleevless T). Having said that I will go back to being my pretentious, hopeless sleevless self now thank you.
mmm, if you are not yourself, then who are you? but you cannot tell me there is not some similarity between these bands, either that or its a conspiracy! it was never like that in the old days, i mean Maiden didn't sound like Motorhead, nor did Saxon sound like AC/DC, they were all completely and utterly different, i dunno, these young whipper snappers! 🙂

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
18 May 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
mmm, if you are not yourself, then who are you? but you cannot tell me there is not some similarity between these bands, either that or its a conspiracy! it was never like that in the old days, i mean Maiden didn't sound like Motorhead, nor did Saxon sound like AC/DC, they were all completely and utterly different, i dunno, these young whipper snappers! 🙂
No but Maiden and Motorhead sounded a bit like The Stooges(with a bit more speed, wait Can you do more drugs Iggy? Maybe if your name is Lemmy) I say let the music morph!

K

Germany

Moves
18 May 09

Originally posted by Seitse
Have more respect for the pride of Finland, lol.

Or at least don't say it to Finns while you're here.

Want to hear some real Finnish talent? Youtube kotiteollisuus and Stam1na.
I have and love lots of Finnish music - for example Circle, Tenhi, Kuusumun Profeetta, CMX, Alamaailman Vasarat, Moonsorrow and others, but I don't like Nightwish, sorry. I mean, they were vaguely interesting when they started out, but all of their songs and albums are pretty much the same trick repeated over and over again.

I've heard stam1na and don't really like them - I'll give Kotiteollisuus a listen.

q

Moves
01 Jun 09

Metal never died and will never die,it only melts together with other styles.Listen to bands as Fear Factory (metal with a flavour of industrial) The Gathering(Metal,industrial,gothic and psychedelic,I think the best dutch band ever)Or what about the old school bands like SLAYER,still alive and kicking.

d

Moves
01 Jun 09

Mastodon anyone?

rc

Moves
01 Jun 09

Originally posted by quorthon
Metal never died and will never die,it only melts together with other styles.Listen to bands as Fear Factory (metal with a flavour of industrial) The Gathering(Metal,industrial,gothic and psychedelic,I think the best dutch band ever)Or what about the old school bands like SLAYER,still alive and kicking.
Slayer, pah! , glam rock more like!

K

Germany

Moves
01 Jun 09

Originally posted by quorthon
I think Quorthon made significantly better music than those guys - though The Gathering are quite good.