the Punk Ethos

the Punk Ethos

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Jun 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i see, ok noobster my friend, I stand corrected! 🙂 what did he find there ? was it a definitive punk sound or was it too early in the day to state anything with certainty? were these bands that StTito mentioned, the ramones, stooges etc playing there?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock

Will do it more justice than me in the limited amount of time i have.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Jun 09

Lol, you could have a point, but we are always having to come over there with one invasion after another! plus you have yet to produce a decent Metal band 😉
Was that toungue in cheek? Metallica, Slayer, Rage Aginst the Machine, Anthrax, Megadeath, Guns 'n' Roses. To name a few.

rc

Moves
17 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Was that toungue in cheek? Metallica, Slayer, Rage Aginst the Machine, Anthrax, Megadeath, Guns 'n' Roses. To name a few.
lol no i was being serious, such a motely crew, and not one of them to be regarded as a true metal band, bunch of gaydos (am i allowed to say that without being warned of a forum ban) and glam rockers if you ask me, especially metallica and guns n poses, anyone who has tasted early Maiden and first generation metal bands cannot stomach such pansies, the metal equivalent of the Scissor sisters.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Jun 09

Originally posted by StTito
stooges, mc5, ramones
Link Wray

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
17 Jun 09

Originally posted by Blackamp
that's true up to a point: r'n'r, r'n'b, soul, funk, jazz, punk all got their start in the USA.

but it is just as true to say that white America takes black American music and reinvents it. metal and punk being honorable exceptions.
Yeah but we are still all Americans.

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
17 Jun 09

lol no i was being serious, such a motely crew, and not one of them to be regarded as a true metal band, bunch of gaydos (am i allowed to say that without being warned of a forum ban) and glam rockers if you ask me, especially metallica and guns n poses, anyone who has tasted early Maiden and first generation metal bands cannot stomach such pansies, the metal equivalent of the Scissor sisters.
the thing about good American metal bands (Big business, Melvins, High on Fire, Hell Shock, Sleep, Torche) is that they have influences other than just metal. Iron Maiden were great don't get me wrong, but move on.

rc

Moves
17 Jun 09
2 edits

the thing about good American metal bands (Big business, Melvins, High on Fire, Hell Shock, Sleep, Torche) is that they have influences other than just metal. Iron Maiden were great don't get me wrong, but move on.
no, its impossible once you have tasted the difference. its like trying to sell rice wine to someone who likes single malt whiskey and expecting them to like it. i like my metal heavy, but not black, pure and not mixed with glam! 😛

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
18 Jun 09

The New York Dolls are the prototype punk band. they showed the way, before the term was invented.

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
18 Jun 09

Yeah but we are still all Americans.
Yeah but we are still all human beings (Americans, Brits, Aussies, and the rest).

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by badmoon
The New York Dolls are the prototype punk band. they showed the way, before the term was invented.
Dolls didn't form until '71. Stooges had two albums out by then, and the Stooges were more punk and less glam than the Dolls.

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
18 Jun 09

Dolls didn't form until '71. Stooges had two albums out by then, and the Stooges were more punk and less glam than the Dolls.
amen and amen

rc

Moves
18 Jun 09
1 edit

i was listening to those bands, MC5 and the early Stooges, yes there is something different going on there, but there is also still some vestiges from the hippy era.

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
18 Jun 09

i was listening to those bands, MC5 and the early Stooges, yes there is something different going on there, but there is also still some vestiges from the hippy era.
The stooges still might have the extended solo every once in awhile, yeah i'll give you that, but the raw power(pun intended) of the cords cannot be denied as pure punk foundations. The First band in a genre argument is all but impossible, to much silly national pride(a funny thing too when talking about punk since it is more about deconstuction of those ties), genre definitions and such, but having said that... USA! USA! We create all! We're #1! 🙂

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
19 Jun 09

Stooges didn't really approach punk until Raw Power. They are both influences in their own way. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Iggy fan.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Jun 09

Punk is an attitude. You can find it everywhere. Beethoven had punk. Rembetika had punk. Debussy might have been post-punk ...