Richard Attenborough passed away

Richard Attenborough passed away

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

Moves
26 Aug 14
3 edits

Actor, filmdirector Richard Attenborough (1923-2014) passed away on 24th August.

Lord Attenborough was one of Britain's leading actors, before becoming a highly successful director. He had a long career and to me he was best known for his roles in Jurassic Park, Hamlet and Elizabeth and for directing the film Gandhi.

I quote from Wikipedia:

"Richard Samuel Attenborough... was an English actor, film director, film producer, and entrepreneur. He was the President of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA).

As a film director and producer, he won two Academy Awards for Gandhi in 1983. He also won four BAFTA Awards and four Golden Globe Awards. As an actor, he is perhaps best known for his roles in Brighton Rock, The Great Escape, 10 Rillington Place, Miracle on 34th Street and Jurassic Park.[1]

He was the older brother of Sir David Attenborough, a naturalist and broadcaster and John Attenborough, an executive at Alfa Romeo..."

N

Moves
26 Aug 14

Originally posted by lolof
Actor, filmdirector Richard Attenborough (1923-2014) passed away on 24th August.

Lord Attenborough was one of Britain's leading actors, before becoming a highly successful director. He had a long career and to me he was best known for his roles in Jurassic Park, Hamlet and Elizabeth and for directing the film Gandhi.

I quote from Wikipedia:

"Richard ...[text shortened]... Attenborough, a naturalist and broadcaster and John Attenborough, an executive at Alfa Romeo..."
A truly great actor and director; I'm glad he lived such a long and successful life. I loved his personality when I glimpsed him in interviews and 'making of' featurettes. He displayed a sort of prodigiously wide-ranging intelligence that one might think would be unwieldy, yet he was always measured, unassuming and possessed a gentle humour.

By coincidence, just a few days ago I had added all of his films--acting and directing--to my rental list for postal DVD/Blu Ray rentals. I look forward to enjoying them over the coming years.

The funeral scene in Gandhi (which won another six Oscars in addition to the two for Attenborough himself), involved 300,000 people--a record that will stand forever--they really don't make them like that any more.

l

Moves
26 Aug 14

Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
A truly great actor and director; I'm glad he lived such a long and successful life. I loved his personality when I glimpsed him in interviews and 'making of' featurettes. He displayed a sort of prodigiously wide-ranging intelligence that one might think would be unwieldy, yet he was always measured, unassuming and possessed a gentle humour.

By co ...[text shortened]... 00,000 people--a record that will stand forever--they really don't make them like that any more.
That's true, they don't - I think it's all about animation now, isn't it... like 'Titanic'.