1. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    23 Feb '20 01:38
    Love it or
    hate it...

...there is rarely in between.

For my part, it is the former, so much so that I decided I don’t get enough and I invested in a subscription to The Met on Demand app through my FireStick.

I was introduced to full-length opera over 30 years ago when my first husband’s best friend offered tickets to the Utah Opera production of Turandot, in which his wife performed with the company. It was love at the first note.

Last week I attended a live performance of Tosca. Now, with my on demand subscription, I’m working through Wagner’s Ring Cycle, of course starting with Das Rheingold with the great Bryn Terfel, which I saw on Met in HD years ago. It is still brilliant, as is Sir Bryn.

Opera...love or hate...?

Which have you seen and which is your favorite?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '20 10:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    23 Feb '20 16:38
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    There is a video of a production of Carmen set in modern times. It was a brilliant adaptation and I cannot seem to locate it now.

It is an accomplishment to sing opera. How fortunate that you have been able to develop your talent.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '20 18:59

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '20 20:58

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '20 00:52

7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    27 Feb '20 21:26
    @hakima said
    Love it or
    hate it...

For my part, it is the former, so much so that I decided I don’t get enough and I invested in a subscription to The Met on Demand app through my FireStick.

I was introduced to full-length opera over 30 years ago when my first husband’s best friend offered tickets to the Utah Opera production of Turandot, in which h ...[text shortened]... iant, as is Sir Bryn.

Opera...love or hate...?

My mother and grandmother loved L'Opera Italiano.

I must say as an American youth, I was quite the rebel. But as I've matured I find that I do appreciate it more.

I began to realize this when I first saw the Shawshank Redemption. That scene in the prison where Tim Robbins' character plays the duettino "Sull' Aria" was quite moving.

Since then, I must say, for nostalgic purposes...I'll go to YouTube to get a quick hit of inspiration from "Nessun Dorma".

But honestly, I can't claim any more knowledge than that. I should no more. But, I don't.

Che peccato!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 00:40

9. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 12:42
    @hakima said
    Love it or
    hate it...

I was introduced to full-length opera over 30 years ago when my first husband’s best friend offered tickets to the Utah Opera production of Turandot, in which h ...[text shortened]... iant, as is Sir Bryn.

Opera...love or hate...?

Being thusly inspired, I gave Mozart's "The Magic Flute" (Die Zauberflote) a listen last night just at bedtime. YouTube is an awesome creation, isn't it?
    Anyway, even with subtitles, I wish I could understand the original German.

Fantastic music! Very soothing.

YouTube - The Magic Flute
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    28 Feb '20 13:46
    My all-time favourite is the Wagner Ring Cycle. Had the good fortune to experience the 1985 Bayreuth festival, and have the previous production (Chereau/Boulez) on DVD. Almost anything by Puccini or Verdi or Mozart for the lighter moments. The only performance I ever walked out of was a modern piece called Voss.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Feb '20 18:54
    @hakima said
    Love it or
    hate it...

Opera...love or hate...?

Puccini's Madam Butterfly. The final act is tragically beautiful.
  12. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    29 Feb '20 19:04
    @kewpie said
    My all-time favourite is the Wagner Ring Cycle. Had the good fortune to experience the 1985 Bayreuth festival, and have the previous production (Chereau/Boulez) on DVD. Almost anything by Puccini or Verdi or Mozart for the lighter moments. The only performance I ever walked out of was a modern piece called Voss.
    I’m listening to The Ring Cycle, featuring Sir Bryn Terfel on the Met app. It is brilliant!
  13. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    29 Feb '20 19:09
    @wolfe63 said
    Being thusly inspired, I gave Mozart's "The Magic Flute" (Die Zauberflote) a listen last night just at bedtime. YouTube is an awesome creation, isn't it?
    Anyway, even with subtitles, I wish I could understand the original German.

Fantastic music! Very soothing.

[youtube]02u4Jf_aNPI[/youtube] - The Magic Flute
    As I am learning German, I’m delighted to say that I am able to understand a lot of the script of many German operas. I think listening to opera is a great way to get familiar with an unfamiliar language.
  14. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    29 Feb '20 19:14
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Puccini's Madam Butterfly. The final act is tragically beautiful.
    Puccini is master at expressing myriad tragedies.

I can honestly say that I have not seen Madam Butterfly in its entirety. That may just be my next viewing, based on your recommendation.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '20 03:59

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree