Originally posted by utherpendragon
    just in : michael jackson dead at 6;15 pm today
    early end to a strange life.
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 22:47
    Originally posted by searcy1977
    early end to a strange life.
    yes,he was a very peculiar fellow.Very popular though,and i think very unhappy.
  4. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 23:00
    victim of his own immaturity.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 23:11
    Farrah Fawcett on the same day as well.
  6. Standard memberpatauro
    Patricia
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 23:48
    She's with the agels now
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 02:15
    His success, impact and influence cannot be overstated.
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 08:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    His success, impact and influence cannot be overstated.
    Very witty.
    Who did he EVER influence except a million impersonators.

To be honest he was crap - his weirdness kept him in the limelight.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 10:02
    So who's the new King of Pop?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 10:54
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Very witty.
    Who did he EVER influence except a million impersonators.

To be honest he was crap - his weirdness kept him in the limelight.
    I didn't go for what he did either. Not at all. But the word 'crap' loses all meaning if you apply it to Jackson - who was a master of what he did, and he made all that money because no one else did it as masterfully as he did. At least for a time. And a fairly long time. Albums like Thriller seemed almost as big as some small countries in terms of economics. His weirdness kept him in the limelight, it's true. In the world of pop a one hit wonder can be enough to create celebrity that lasts a lifetime. Jackson was a several album wonder. The latter day weirdness didn't detract at all from his iconic CV and commercial achievements in the past. That's not how it works with pop celebrity. Personally I have no time whatsoever for his music. But let's save the word 'crap' for all the genuinely crap music out there.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 11:153 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    .... But let's save the word 'crap' for all the genuinely crap music out there.
    Fair enough - let me just say that I didn't see what everyone else seemed to see.

Someone on the radio said "everyone" has some of his music in their collections.
    I have none.😞
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 13:35
    Personally, I had no use for Michael Jackson. I never liked his music at all. For me, music is when you sit on a stool and play your guitar. I have no use for dancing. I have no use for choreography. I just want to hear the music. And Michael was more a "performer" than a musician. I find all the attention he's gotten to be truly mystifying.

Plus he upstaged Farrah Fawcett's death. I used to watch Charlie's Angels (first season). I used to have a copy of that red swimsuit poster when I was a teenager. She was 29 when that poster was published in 1976. Can't believe it was 33 years ago.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 13:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    I didn't go for what he did either. Not at all. But the word 'crap' loses all meaning if you apply it to Jackson - who was a master of what he did, and he made all that money because no one else did it as masterfully as he did. At least for a time. And a fairly long time. Albums like Thriller seemed almost as big as some small countries in terms of economics. Hi ...[text shortened]... r his music. But let's save the word 'crap' for all the genuinely crap music out there.
    Agreed, I don't really like his music, but there are heaps of crappier music out there.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 14:01
    Someone on the radio said "everyone" has some of his music in their collections.
    I have none.😞
    We could start a clan or chess club. But it seems it would be just us.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 14:03
    Fair enough - let me just say that I didn't see what everyone else seemed to see.
    I say the same thing to myself when I think about how much richer Phil Collins has probably become from music than Peter Gabriel.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree