Jazz question

Jazz question

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
04 Aug 08

As a dedicated jazz pianist, I thought I'd post this in the club forum for my club (the Jazz club) and in this public forum. Any suggestions welcome.

I am about to audition for a position as a jazz pianist in a local combo. The position is very privileged, and the combo player is essentially the best jazz pianist in the community. Problem is, there's another guy running against me who is very formidable. I am taking extra jazz lessons, but the guy has much more experience under his belt than I, and the combo organizers feel they owe him for a favor that he did for them in the past. Other problem is, everyone's saying I'm really the better pianist, a statement to which I (obviously) agree. Any tips for getting a better chance to beat the guy in the auditions (this October)?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
04 Aug 08

Get a hat like Thelonious Monk.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
04 Aug 08

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
As an Arab-American, even though a Monk hat would look pretty cool, I would look ridiculous in it. Thanks for the advice though. 🙂

STS

Moves
05 Aug 08
1 edit

Then wear a fez and dark sunglasses. Smoke with a big long cigarette holder. Dress in a cheap ill-fitting suit with a bow tie. Develop an evil, sadistic Peter Lorre giggle and laugh insanely when you play. I bet it would look perfect on you.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
05 Aug 08

Originally posted by scherzo
As a dedicated jazz pianist, I thought I'd post this in the club forum for my club (the Jazz club) and in this public forum. Any suggestions welcome.

I am about to audition for a position as a jazz pianist in a local combo. The position is very privileged, and the combo player is essentially the best jazz pianist in the community. Problem is, there's anot ...[text shortened]... agree. Any tips for getting a better chance to beat the guy in the auditions (this October)?
You need to seperate from the pack by being obviously better. If you just think your better than most, but in reality you are just the common delusional musician then anything could happen. Roll the dice and hope for the best.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Then wear a fez and dark sunglasses. Smoke with a big long cigarette holder. Dress in a cheap ill-fitting suit with a bow tie. Develop an evil, sadistic Peter Lorre giggle and laugh insanely when you play. I bet it would look perfect on you.
You've missed your calling.

Or do you have a show?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by buckky
You need to seperate from the pack by being obviously better. If you just think your better than most, but in reality you are just the common delusional musician then anything could happen. Roll the dice and hope for the best.
Say more about the Common Delusional Musician.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
This is a better suggestion than most people realize. If you DRESS like a great jazz musician, people are going to think you ARE a great jazz musician. Would you show up to the audition wearing a bathing suit? I hope the answer is no. But most people don't think twice about showing up in tennis shoes, khaki's and a shirt 2 sizes too big.

Wear black pants, a black collared shirt and black dress shoes/boots. Look like a professional ready for a gig when you show up to the audition, and then let your talents speak for themselves.

Good luck!

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by PBE6
This is a better suggestion than most people realize. If you DRESS like a great jazz musician, people are going to think you ARE a great jazz musician. Would you show up to the audition wearing a bathing suit? I hope the answer is no. But most people don't think twice about showing up in tennis shoes, khaki's and a shirt 2 sizes too big.

Wear black pants ...[text shortened]... hen you show up to the audition, and then let your talents speak for themselves.

Good luck!
this ain't the 50's man.

Let your talent speak for itself. Costumes are for chumps.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
How dumb do you think I am?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Yeah, Bosse wants to hear more about himself.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by uzless
this ain't the 50's man.

I'm getting you a paddle for Christmas, so you can stir the pot without getting your hands dirty.

Kids, don't listen to him - he's the devil. 🙄

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by scherzo
How dumb do you think I am?
Did you get the gig or what?

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I have been envolved with the music scene most of my adult life, as a musician, and as a booking agent. To many times I see individuals with average talent thinking they are the next big thing. A little talent is a dangerous thing. Ego can drag the best man down. Just knowing that there are tons of people out there that can play you under the rug can be somewhat depressing after years of trying to be just good.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Aug 08

Originally posted by uzless
this ain't the 50's man.

Dressing the part isn't such a bad idea, you know. Think of Nick Cave, The Cramps, Iggy Pop, Sun Ra ... What would you wear -- pyjamas? Only Will Oldham could pull that off.