1. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 23:09
    Has anyone been to Japan for travel, living, education, or business?

I spent a lot of time there and really miss the place. Great to hear from those who have any experiences there.

awc222
  2. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 01:30
    Haven't been there, but would like to. My family hosted a couple of Japanese students while I was in school. Actually, they hosted exchange students each year for about 20 years. It was pretty cool, and a few still keep in contact with our family.
  3. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 01:571 edit
    IT'S A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE AND WORK BUT JUST VISITING IT CAN BE DAUNTING...AND EXPENSIVE.

i LOVED THE COUNTRYSIDE MORE BECAUSE IT WAS AWAY FROM THE CHAOS OF THE METRO LIFE. YOU CAN GET WORK THERE THAT PAYS PRETTY WELL, BUT THE COST OF LIVING HAS TO BE FACTORED IN.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 03:49
    Originally posted by awc222
    YOU CAN GET WORK THERE THAT PAYS PRETTY WELL, BUT THE COST OF LIVING HAS TO BE FACTORED IN.
    As has the suffocating stiffness of working for any part of the government apparatus, if that's the card that the globetrotting life deals you.

If there was one Japanese dish you could tuck into now what would it be?
  5. the highway to hell
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 11:42
    Originally posted by FMF

If there was one Japanese dish you could tuck into now what would it be?[/b]
    now you come to mention it, i cant think of a single female japanese....😉
  6. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 21:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Ton-katsu with curry sauce.
    Maguro sushi
    miso shiro
    yebisu beer

That rounds it off pretty well.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 00:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    As has the suffocating stiffness of working for any part of the government apparatus, if that's the card that the globetrotting life deals you.

Okinomiyaki ... without the fish flakes.

Hoka Hoka Bentou have quite a few delicious take out meals ... (not sure if that's a national chain or not ...)

The Freshburger from Mosburger was pretty yummy as well!
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 00:15

I spent a lot of time there and really miss the place. Great to hear from those who have any experiences there.

awc222
    Lived and taught there for about 7 years - just outside of Fukouka city - I miss the place enormously and definitely intend to go back - much prefer the villages/towns and smaller cities to the likes of Tokyo and Osaka, though .. Kobe is quite nice, however.
  9. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 00:47
    About 12 years under my obi. Mostly in Komagane, Nagano and then some in Nihonmatsu, Fukushima. Both places were in the mountains (not hard to find in Japan) and a mountian bikers heaven.
  10. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 05:14
    I've been in Osaka for about 7 of the past 10 years, and I love it here. Teaching English is a good job, I work when I want and get paid what I'm worth. Having my own company means that I can save lots of taxes, so the cost of living here isn't as prohibitive for me as it is for some other workers, especially teachers who work for companies and language schools.
    Good food and lifestyle, and all desires catered for.

Best food... difficult choice.
    If it's sushi, aburi toro, shirako and kani miso.
    Tempura donburi zaru soba teishoku.
    Tenkaippin gyouza teishoku (ramen) with charshiu topping.
    Okonomiyaki with mochi, cheese and natto.
    Yebisu beer, or sake with the sushi.
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 15:43
    Not been to Japan yet, however I have seen enough Godzilla films to know they have a severe radiation problem...
  12. Standard memberRSMA1234
    The Guvnor....!!!!
    The Dark Side
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 12:25

awc222
    Not as yet, but have dated a Jap women

From what she tells me, the soceity is going through a change from the way it was 30 years ago

For exmaple, tubes / subway now have "polite police" that encourage young people to give up seats for old / handicapped...something which was unthinkable a few years ago

Having said that, would still love to go
  13. Joined
    16 Mar '08
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 10:47
    Is this conversation over? I'm from Japan and enjoyed reviewing everyone's comments.
    awc222-san, you used to work for JICA, right? I spent three months in komagane. 🙂
  14. Standard memberRSMA1234
    The Guvnor....!!!!
    The Dark Side
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 15:19
    Originally posted by eminator
    Is this conversation over? I'm from Japan and enjoyed reviewing everyone's comments.
    awc222-san, you used to work for JICA, right? I spent three months in komagane. 🙂
    Its not over until the fat lady sings..... 😉
  15. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    02 May '08 12:11
    eminator.

yes I was at JOCV at the training centre there. When were you there in Komagane? Did you work for Interac?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree