favorite cut of beef

favorite cut of beef

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
22 Jul 09

Originally posted by utherpendragon
what?! no hog hooves ?! 🙂
This a beef thread, dearest utherpendragon. I do love pigs feet, but not the hoof part. There is a nice peasant dish, osso bucco, literally bone for the mouth, called this because you suck loudly on the marrow part of the bone. Quite tasty. My favorite pork is Alto Adige, the northeast version of prosciuto, but spicy. I like it mixed in with day old spaghetti in a grinder roll.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Jul 09

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
This a beef thread, dearest utherpendragon. I do love pigs feet, but not the hoof part. There is a nice peasant dish, osso bucco, literally bone for the mouth, called this because you suck loudly on the marrow part of the bone. Quite tasty. My favorite pork is Alto Adige, the northeast version of prosciuto, but spicy. I like it mixed in with day old spaghetti in a grinder roll.
I tried to order beef carpaccio yesterday, but it seems the item's only there to add elegance to the menu, for the waiter stared blankly at my order as though he'd never heard of it; I had to make do with the Worst Pizza In The World, Ever.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
22 Jul 09

Looked it up. Sounds delectable. Where I come from everything but hair, hooves and teeth are not eaten.

What's a good recipe for picanha?
The best recipe for picanha is to travel to southern Brazil and find yourself a "churrasco". 🙂

Seriously, when the meat is really good I like the minimalistic approach. Just a bit of salt to keep the juices in and a good grill.

s

Moves
23 Jul 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I tried to order beef carpaccio yesterday, but it seems the item's only there to add elegance to the menu, for the waiter stared blankly at my order as though he'd never heard of it; I had to make do with the Worst Pizza In The World, Ever.
Not fond of carpaccio at all. I like my meat cooked. Same for steak Tartar. Where was the worst pizza in the world? If in Rome never eat inside the Pomerium. Full of tourist traps and bad food. Best pizza in Rome is in Trastevere. Beware of Cafe Breck, right across from Sacro Argentino. Chef Boyardee is far superior to this hellhhole of a restaurant. Pizza in the mezzanine of the Vatican Museum is not bad either, but expensive.

s

Moves
23 Jul 09

Originally posted by Palynka
The best recipe for picanha is to travel to southern Brazil and find yourself a "churrasco". 🙂

Seriously, when the meat is really good I like the minimalistic approach. Just a bit of salt to keep the juices in and a good grill.
Gonna have to try the local churrascaria. There is a supposed decent local one.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Jul 09

Not fond of carpaccio at all. I like my meat cooked. Same for steak Tartar. Where was the worst pizza in the world? If in Rome never eat inside the Pomerium. Full of tourist traps and bad food. Best pizza in Rome is in Trastevere. Beware of Cafe Breck, right across from Sacro Argentino. Chef Boyardee is far superior to this hellhhole of a restaurant. Pizza in the mezzanine of the Vatican Museum is not bad either, but expensive.
The worst pizza in the world -- ever -- was at Adesso's in Rondebosch, Cape Town. It already tastes like leftovers when it's just left the kitchen. And the beer is always warm!

s

Moves
23 Jul 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The worst pizza in the world -- ever -- was at Adesso's in Rondebosch, Cape Town. It already tastes like leftovers when it's just left the kitchen. And the beer is always warm!
We ate at a restaurant near the bridge across Castel Sant'Angelo. We heard the microwave going. It was feakin frozen dinners! Horrible! We gave up and just ate small grocery cold cuts and local bakery bread and wine from a nearby convent. Then we discovered Trastevere! Even if you try you can't find bad food! Prices much better than central Rome, too. Also discovered the most expensive deli ever. E200
/Kg. Reggiano. I asked for a sample. They stuck a toothpick in the cheese and let me smell it! Also Serrano for E250/kg. Yikes! They wanted a euro because I slobbered while looking at it too intently. They should have dressed the thing in a g-string. It was that good looking!

Moves
24 Jul 09

Originally posted by duecer
for a long time I really loved the T-bone/porterhouse cuts, now I crave the silky tenderness of a well grilled new york strip. mmmmm. steak its whats for dinner!
Hmm...A New York strip is a t-bone without the bone...

s

Moves
25 Jul 09

Originally posted by Badwater
Hmm...A New York strip is a t-bone without the bone...
Whatever it's called it's delicious. That's why I joined PETA(people eat tasty animals). Card toting member since forever!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
29 Jul 09
1 edit

We ate at a restaurant near the bridge across Castel Sant'Angelo. We heard the microwave going. It was feakin frozen dinners! Horrible! We gave up and just ate small grocery cold cuts and local bakery bread and wine from a nearby convent. Then we discovered Trastevere! Even if you try you can't find bad food! Prices much better than central Rome, too. A ...[text shortened]... t it too intently. They should have dressed the thing in a g-string. It was that good looking!
Trastevere is awesome, my favourite part for dining in Rome (although I'm not an expert). Beautiful cobbled streets, cool atmosphere and great restaurants.

Good tip!

s

Moves
30 Jul 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Trastevere is awesome, my favourite part for dining in Rome (although I'm not an expert). Beautiful cobbled streets, cool atmosphere and great restaurants.

Good tip!
Rome is a peculiar place. Most of the restaurants in central Rome are either too expensive or serve awful food if reasonably priced. That does not seem to be the case in other parts of Italy. The family and I spent a week in a small town in NW Italy close to Ravenna. Not a single bad meal! Prices were not bad either. Awesome names, too. I loved a little place called Bas Cus Magna, a Mexican-Italian place so eclectic and weird yet their food was delightful. Chips and salsa? No problem despite making it a pepperless salsa and using polenta meal to make the chips. Tha salsa was a garlicky concotion sooo good I asked for pasta to be made with it. The thick chips fried in olive oil were delectable! They also served chocolate empanadas and burritos made with pizza dough. Nothing looked mexican nor tasted Mexican, yet when I learned they closed I was really sad. I loved the place. I miss Bagnacavallo!