Dance declared a sport?

Dance declared a sport?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Oct 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
If you need a judge, who puts a (often highly personal) value on a performance, it's not a sport but a performance art.

In sports, you have rules which decide who wins, not opinions. Of course one can differ in opinion on whether a certain decision by a referee was correct or not, but when you get down to it, that decision either was or was not corr ...[text shortened]... chwalbe was worth 7.4 points"; it was a matter of "This was/was not a schwalbe".

Richard
So high-diving, surfing and trampoulining are all performance art and Scrabble is a sport?

Defining sport is a tricky one but i think your definition is too narrow.

btw: I am a dancer and my dancing is neither sport nor art! 😀

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Oct 11

We also need to remember that all of life is a dance, after all which are the best celebrations after a goal (in any sport), the ones where they hug each other and give hi5's,etc. or when they perform one of those silly victory dances? 😀

Even runners "dance" ...

Moves
13 Oct 11

Originally posted by wolfgang59
So high-diving, surfing and trampoulining are all performance art and Scrabble is a sport?
Yes, yes, yes, (all currently - in theory, they could be organised as sports, although at least diving and trampolining aren't likely to) and no. My statement was intended as a required, not necessary sufficient, condition. (Although, if one wants, one can define both Scrabble and chess as mental sports. And not without justification.)

Richard