Best Rock Keyboard Player?

Best Rock Keyboard Player?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
30 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Badwater
Hip-hop is not rock and roll. It's rhythmic poetry.

I gotta say that I hated poetry in school and I'm still not fond of it. Hip-hop has nothing to say that I haven't heard so I get bored with it quite easily.
have you ever seen The Roots play live? They could blow away most professional rock bands with their technical skill and proficiency as well as their great stage presence. Although, sadly, Hub is no longer with the band. 🙁

http://www.okayplayer.com/promos/upd091007.jpg

DS

Moves
07 Feb 09

Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou was a reasonable keyboard player. 😕

Guitarist

@William Penn's gaze

Moves
10 Feb 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou was a reasonable keyboard player. 😕
Better known for movie scores, video games & electronic compositions. Not really a rock player. But did some things with Jon Anderson of Yes, which I've never heard.

DS

Moves
12 Feb 09

Originally posted by gregsflat
Better known for movie scores, video games & electronic compositions. Not really a rock player.....
Maybe now.

But he was a rock musician first. 😕

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
12 Feb 09

Jan Hammer

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
13 Feb 09

Better known for movie scores, video games & electronic compositions. Not really a rock player. But did some things with Jon Anderson of Yes, which I've never heard.
I seem to remember Rick Wakeman doing some things with Jon Anderson too. Rick Wakeman keeps cropping up. Would that mean he is the best by any chance?

d

Moves
13 Feb 09

Originally posted by mikelom
I seem to remember Rick Wakeman doing some things with Jon Anderson too. Rick Wakeman keeps cropping up. Would that mean he is the best by any chance?
It means you're all old.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
14 Feb 09
1 edit

Originally posted by darvlay
It means you're all old.
Sadly the musical generation under 30 hasen't produced hardly any musicians of note in any catagory. At lease for rock and pop. We have to dig in the past, Darv, because the current crop is such an utter disappointment.

Guitarist

@William Penn's gaze

Moves
14 Feb 09

Originally posted by StTito
Jan Hammer
Good Call

d

Moves
15 Feb 09

Originally posted by badmoon
Sadly the musical generation under 30 hasen't produced hardly any musicians of note in any catagory. At lease for rock and pop. We have to dig in the past, Darv, because the current crop is such an utter disappointment.
Thirty years of listening to Yes - I wouldn't wish that kind of torture on my worst enemy.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
15 Feb 09

Good Call
I agree. Majavishnu and his work Jeff Beck alone qualifies as one of the best

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
15 Feb 09

Thirty years of listening to Yes - I wouldn't wish that kind of torture on my worst enemy.
Seriously?

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
16 Feb 09

Darv, you know rock music. You'd have to agree that Yes, particularly the group that played on Close to the Edge, is on a short list of the most talented bunch of musicians ever in a rock band. You may not like their style but the talent was immense.

Squire, Howe, Wakeman and Bruford...few band can top that.

d

Moves
16 Feb 09

Originally posted by badmoon
Darv, you know rock music. You'd have to agree that Yes, particularly the group that played on Close to the Edge, is on a short list of the most talented bunch of musicians ever in a rock band. You may not like their style but the talent was immense.

Squire, Howe, Wakeman and Bruford...few band can top that.
Sure, great talent. No argument there. Rush is talented too, but I would still rather eat a light bulb than have it forced upon me.

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
16 Feb 09

I agree there is a lack of musicianship in the bands of the last 5-8 years if you look on the radio or any other large media outlet. But if you search there out there. 25-35 years ago good music was not as hard to find cause of the numbers of bands and the radio stations willing to play them.