Beck

Standard memberDrKF
Culture 16 Sep '09 17:03
  1. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 17:031 edit
    No, not that awful little man from Fox, I mean the musician...

I have always really liked him, and thought the recent(ish) Modern Guilt was fantastic. His website (which ought to be the model for any artist or band's website) has been releasing a track-by-track cover of The Velvet Underground & Nico for a while now, and you can now get it in its entirity. (To be fair, it's not amazing, but it's a curio and worth half an hour of your time if you like Beck and you like The Velvets).

The website has also been releasing a track-by-track acoustic version of the aforementioned Modern Guilt which is superb.
  2. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 11:19
    Originally posted by DrKF
    No, not that awful little man from Fox, I mean the musician...

I have always really liked him, and thought the recent(ish) Modern Guilt was fantastic. His website (which ought to be the model for any artist or band's website) has been releasing a track-by-track cover of The Velvet Underground & Nico for a while now, and you can now get it in it ...[text shortened]... a track-by-track acoustic version of the aforementioned Modern Guilt which is superb.
    i liked his early, quirky, stuff, then sort of lost track of him. i'd be interested to hear his versions of Heroin and Black Angel's Death Song on the Velvets album. thanks.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 12:35
    I liked his pre-fame stuff that got re-released retrospectively.

Weirder than Beefheart.

And then Midnite Vultures and Sea Change were two towering albums, I thought.

Modern Guilt passed me by last year so I am playing it now in order to form a view.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 13:41
    ... yes, good stuff.

There are now acoustic versions, you say...?
  5. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 06:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    ... yes, good stuff.

There are now acoustic versions, you say...?
    Yes indeed. I agree with what you say about the quality of the older stuff - but he's managed to remain innovative as he's got bigger (Sea Change, in particular, blew me away). Anyway, he's re-recorded the entire album acoustically with various people over several months, and has been posting the new versions on his website. It's now complete - I don't know if he plans to officially release it as an album, but there are perfectly good rips on bittorrent if you want a permanent copy. I'd like to think he wouldn't mind too much 🙂
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 06:56
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Yes indeed. I agree with what you say about the quality of the older stuff - but he's managed to remain innovative as he's got bigger (Sea Change, in particular, blew me away). Anyway, he's re-recorded the entire album acoustically with various people over several months, and has been posting the new versions on his website. It's now complete - I don't know if ...[text shortened]... n bittorrent if you want a permanent copy. I'd like to think he wouldn't mind too much 🙂
    I don't think he'll mind this either:

http://rapidshare.com/files/31322292/Beck-2006-10-31-kcrw.rar

(Radio Broadcast)

01. Intro
    02. Motorcade
    03. Cell Phone's Dead
    04. No Complaints
    05. Movie Theme
    06. Interview
    07. We Dance Alone
    08. Neusea
    09. Dark Star
    10. Strange Apparition
    11. Think I'm In Love
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 13:17
    Beck- innovative ,refreshing, shows what can be done with electronic instruments mixed with nice traditional acoustic chords. Definately got a few memorable songs that will stand the test of time...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree