Artists on themselves / art

Artists on themselves / art

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
11 Mar 08

I like reading about how artists think about art and the lives that shape that thinking. Hoping to get some reading recommendations.

I'll start with a powerful autobiography.

"Straight Life - The Story of Art Pepper" Art and Laurie Pepper.
An unvarnished look at the life of a jazz great and seriously flawed human being. From an abusive childhood through life as a criminal, junkie, inmate at San Quentin and recovery via Synanon, Pepper manages to be alternately insightful and clueless about life.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
11 Mar 08

Vincent van Gogh's collected letters or his autobiography 'Dear Theo'. Or both.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
11 Mar 08
1 edit

The Canadian Artists, collectively known as "The Group of Seven" were an interesting bunch. There have been many books written about this group.

I recommend reading about Tom Thomson, A.Y. Jackson and Lawren Harris. Lawren got a little transcendental in his later years but his earlier work is my favourite from this group.

T

Moves
11 Mar 08

Originally posted by DrKF
Vincent van Gogh's collected letters or his autobiography 'Dear Theo'. Or both.
Thanks for the rec. There's a collection at my local library. I'll check it out.

T

Moves
11 Mar 08

Originally posted by uzless
The Canadian Artists, collectively known as "The Group of Seven" were an interesting bunch. There have been many books written about this group.

I recommend reading about Tom Thomson, A.Y. Jackson and Lawren Harris. Lawren got a little transcendental in his later years but his earlier work is my favourite from this group.
Any chance you can recommend a couple of titles that you found particularly insightful?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
12 Mar 08

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Any chance you can recommend a couple of titles that you found particularly insightful?
http://www.amazon.ca/Tom-Thomson-Introduction-His-Life/dp/155297684X/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1205348645&sr=8-8

T

Moves
12 Mar 08
2 edits

Originally posted by uzless
http://www.amazon.ca/Tom-Thomson-Introduction-His-Life/dp/155297684X/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1205348645&sr=8-8
Thanks, but maybe you lost track of the intent of this thread. I'm particularly interested in autobiography or the artists personal views on art whether in general or his own. This seems biographical in nature. Do you know of anything along those lines that you can recommend?

M

Moves
12 Mar 08

Salvador Dali :"Often I hear people say that I am a fool. I'll tell you this: the only difference between a fool and me is that I am not a fool."

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
12 Mar 08

Thanks, but maybe you lost track of the intent of this thread. I'm particularly interested in autobiography or the artists personal views on art whether in general or his own. This seems biographical in nature. Do you know of anything along those lines that you can recommend?
no, not sure if these guys wrote autobiographies.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Mar 08

I like reading about how artists think about art and the lives that shape that thinking. Hoping to get some reading recommendations.
"The Memoirs of Giorgio de Chirico"
"The Secret Life of Salvador Dali"

T

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by Mephisto2
Salvador Dali :"Often I hear people say that I am a fool. I'll tell you this: the only difference between a fool and me is that I am not a fool."
lol. Good one.

T

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
"The Memoirs of Giorgio de Chirico"
"The Secret Life of Salvador Dali"
These both look intriguing. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the recs.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Mar 08

These both look intriguing. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the recs.
Benvenuto Cellini's Autobiography is also a good read, if you have time.

T

Moves
13 Mar 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Benvenuto Cellini's Autobiography is also a good read, if you have time.
Thanks.

IM
Primal Primate

holiest of holies

Moves
16 Mar 08

I'll start with a powerful autobiography.

"Straight Life - The Story of Art Pepper" Art and Laurie Pepper.
An unvarnished look at the life of a jazz great and seriously flawed human being. From an abusive childhood th ...[text shortened]... nd recovery via Synanon, Pepper manages to be alternately insightful and clueless about life.
i guess you're looking for reading material more than video, but you might find Let's Get Lost interesting - it's a doco on the life of jazz trumpeter and drug addict Chet Baker - you migt be able to find it on DVD somewhere.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095515/