09 Sep '21 16:26
    Maybe crowning a new champion will liven things up a bit. 😀
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Sep '21 18:34
    @very-rusty said
    The more I think about it, the more sense it makes!

Probably will not happen, but a good suggestion in my humble opinion.

-VR
    It sounds like a good idea,but in practice,as someone has already said,it could be a greater incentive for sandbagging.
    The league format is not popular but do you remember Rusty the "league type" system I tried a few years ago?
    That seemed to work quite well, although running it manually was very laborious.I got a bunch of volunteers ,matched them up by rating as close as I could and then put them into teams for the competition.I know Russ reads the forums,so maybe he could be interested in such a system
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Sep '21 21:262 edits
    @venda said
    It sounds like a good idea,but in practice,as someone has already said,it could be a greater incentive for sandbagging.
    The league format is not popular but do you remember Rusty the "league type" system I tried a few years ago?
    That seemed to work quite well, although running it manually was very laborious.I got a bunch of volunteers ,matched them up by rating as close as I ...[text shortened]... ms for the competition.I know Russ reads the forums,so maybe he could be interested in such a system
    @Venda,
    I was never much into the Leagues, but would be willing to give it a shot. If Russ got in on the idea it would be even better for sure. We could still keep the Clan Challenges along with the League.

I agree with your statement about the amount of Clans having dropped significantly. We also have many smaller clans that could be made into bigger clans. Although that would mean one of the Clan Leaders having to give up as Clan Leader. I always thought the Clan Leader should have at least 1 assistant as it is a lot of work for one person, if the job is going to be done properly. Perhaps this would be something to have a look at?

On another site they have something similar to the Clans only they are called "Teams" which is what a "Clan" is anyways. They do very well some teams having a couple of Co-Captains along with the Captain, which makes the job much easier and everyone can make Team challenges co-captains and Captains. I was on one such Team as a Co-Captain and it did work out well.

Reason I am saying this is in smaller clans that could be put together where you have more than one Clan Leader, the other Clan Leaders could be made Co-Clan Leaders and all could make up challenges. Existing larger Clans could also have Co-Clan Leaders I know it works on the other Site so could possibly work here too. It would be a matter of getting people on board with it. I know people don't like change very much, but certainly something to think about. I don't know how much work this would take with the coding though???

We will certainly have a new Clan Challenge Champion this year, but we all knew back around February/March that would be case if IVV kept at the rate they were going. This will help for this year to a degree, but we just may wind up with a new Dominant Clan, no more than that. A way would have to be figured out to control the Sandbagging. I think the only way is to have the Clan Rating separate, which they claim would take too much work to do. So that would put us right back where we started and are at now unfortunately.

-VR
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    10 Sep '21 08:18
    Thanks for your reply and suggestions Rusty.
    Much has been said about the clans and the clan system in general.
    It still seems all anyone cares about is the net points list but I don't intend to re visit that issue.
    The chess world seems to be mainly focused on the blitz type games when you read anything in the press.Even the top level championships include blitz games now.
    Unfortunately, like most other things in today's world everything has to be "instant"
    Perhaps the days of correspondence chess,which essentially what this site is, are coming to the end of their life.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Sep '21 12:541 edit
    @venda said
    Thanks for your reply and suggestions Rusty.
    Much has been said about the clans and the clan system in general.
    It still seems all anyone cares about is the net points list but I don't intend to re visit that issue.
    The chess world seems to be mainly focused on the blitz type games when you read anything in the press.Even the top level championships include blitz games now. ...[text shortened]... ys of correspondence chess,which essentially what this site is, are coming to the end of their life.
    Agreed, I believe things will just continue as they are and people will complain but have no solutions or possible solutions to the problems which we all know exist.

-VR
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Sep '21 15:59
    It would be great if the people with the red thumbs could come up with solutions that would make things better. Show yourself and be heard!

-VR
  7. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 19:41
    @venda correspondence chess, i never experienced the good old days of moves in the post, my dad used to play chess by post in the 70s and 80s, guess games went on a long time
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    13 Sep '21 08:39
    @wycombe-al said
    @venda correspondence chess, i never experienced the good old days of moves in the post, my dad used to play chess by post in the 70s and 80s, guess games went on a long time
    Playing on here is essentially correspondence chess(apart from the live option recently introduced)It's just a different medium and with time limits.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Sep '21 16:27
    @wycombe-al said
    It wasn't a great system because letters also got lost in the mail. Here your opponent is waiting for a move you sent, only for the letter to get lost in the mail. It must have been very frustrating.

-VR
  10. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    13 Sep '21 16:57
    @very-rusty said
    It wasn't a great system because letters also got lost in the mail. Here your opponent is waiting for a move you sent, only for the letter to get lost in the mail. It must have been very frustrating.

-VR
    I played correspondence chess in the 60's
    looking forward for the mail every day was fun
    I think I completed around a dozen games
    played by phone also but was a bit more expensive
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Sep '21 17:18
    @lemondrop said
    Nice it worked for you.

I never played it myself.

I heard guys talking about it say about letters being lost in the mail which of course really slowed things down.

Phone was expensive back then, but you only had to stay on long enough to give your move.

-VR
  12. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    13 Sep '21 17:56
    did correspondence chess have timeout rules?
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    13 Sep '21 17:58
    @Wycombe-Al
    I don't remember exactly but I think yes
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Sep '21 21:231 edit
    @wycombe-al said
    did correspondence chess have timeout rules?
    Having not played myself I am not sure, but have heard that players would make up their times per move allowing for late letters. In many cases it was no time limit, those games could go on for years!

EDIT: I really can't see playing one game for years!

-VR
  15. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    14 Sep '21 15:54
    @lemondrop said
    Jesus Lemon. And I thought Rusty was old. 60's? I had you pegged for around 13 to 15 years old. Wonders never cease!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree