1. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    09 Apr '19 05:37
    @moonbus said
    I do not see evidence that McTayto’s real playing strength is near 2000, though, of course, a rating can be artificially inflated as well as deflated.

In the following game, he missed mate on the move on move no. 25, which a 2000 player would not have missed.

Game 13179739

Beyond doubt is that there are some conspicuously skewed results in his record.
    I agree. He is nowhere near 2000.
    Maybe in the 1300-1400 range.
    Every time he wins a clan game, he selects a tournament game to toss to cancel out the rating improvement from the won clan game.
    This allows him to consistently get set up with clan games against opponents rated 100-200 points below him.
    That is classic sandbagging.
    He knows it.
    Lemondrop knows it.
    We all know it.
    And Russ knows it.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Apr '19 11:23
    @mghrn55 said
    I agree. He is nowhere near 2000.
    Maybe in the 1300-1400 range.
    Every time he wins a clan game, he selects a tournament game to toss to cancel out the rating improvement from the won clan game.
    This allows him to consistently get set up with clan games against opponents rated 100-200 points below him.
    That is classic sandbagging.
    He knows it.
    Lemondrop knows it.
    We all know it.
    And Russ knows it.
    I expect that a day of reckoning will come, as it did before. I hope that the clan system and the forum do not descend into chaos and acrimony in the meantime, as in the 2016 season. Can't everyone just play on, without shouting names at each other? I applaud your effort in keeping clan players (especially captains) apprized of these 'irregularities'; it's a dirty job and a shame that someone has to do it.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Apr '19 11:56
    @moonbus said
    I expect that a day of reckoning will come, as it did before. I hope that the clan system and the forum do not descend into chaos and acrimony in the meantime, as in the 2016 season.
    It is very familiar to what happened in 2016, has that same smell to it!

I hope it will have the same results too.

-VR
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Apr '19 12:33
    @very-rusty said
    It is very familiar to what happened in 2016, has that same smell to it!

I hope it will have the same results too.

-VR
    De ja vu. Like mouldy cheese.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Apr '19 12:39
    @moonbus said
    De ja vu. Like mouldy cheese.
    History seems to have a way of repeating itself.

-VR
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Apr '19 15:03
    @very-rusty said
    History seems to have a way of repeating itself.

-VR
    Thanks Benny.

(ABBA joke).
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Apr '19 15:11
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Thanks Benny.

(ABBA joke).
    Leave it to you joking in a serious thread.

Oh well one in very bunch.

-VR
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    09 Apr '19 17:35
    @moonbus said
    I expect that a day of reckoning will come, as it did before. I hope that the clan system and the forum do not descend into chaos and acrimony in the meantime, as in the 2016 season. Can't everyone just play on, without shouting names at each other? I applaud your effort in keeping clan players (especially captains) apprized of these 'irregularities'; it's a dirty job and a shame that someone has to do it.
    Not a dirty job. About 30-45 minutes of my time once a week.
    Don't think Russ will do anything about this fiasco this time.
    His approach to reviewing clan parameters is missing the mark in my opinion.
    Lemondrop has already bumped up his roster in anticipation of any minimum clan size changes being contemplated by Russ.

My goal at this time is to shine a light on these characters once and for all.
    Displaying Mctayto's games for all to see is having an effect.

Firstly, I noted that he stopped the practice for a few days after I posted a few games. But then resumed the practice again. But I will keep at him.

Secondly, I have caught the attention of the clan leader who has taken to hurling childish insults in my direction. Which is good for all to see.

Thirdly, I continue to play the optics of the clan standings by pointing out the competitive season that is underway thus far. Also I am starting to gain some traction with some other clan leaders who are starting to see the picture. This from some PM exchanges I've had. Some comments from thanking me for posting the evidence to the public domain to softening their position on their assessment of our clan and my predessor shortcircuit.

Fourthly, we continue to strengthen our case for a separate clan game rating. I don't know how much traction this will get from Russ. But we still make our case in the strongest terms.

Finally, I continue to press for punitive measures when they are required. While I don't think the punishment for this fiasco is nowhere near a slam dunk like it was in 2016, we should all continue shining a light on the perpetrators.
    I want Russ to be fully aware that an individual that he banned from clan play and then recently reinstated wasted no time in returning to his past behavior.
    And as I previously said, these characters are literally thumbing their noses at site administration.
    And as I previously said, even if nothing is done about this clan, we should make sure that these characters do their victory lap with their tails between their legs.
    And I have no problem taking the lead in that regard. It is our clan that has been the target over the years.

A final message to all clan leaders.
    Continue to compete to the best of your ability and lets make this year a competitive one.
    And don't worry about the * at the top of the table.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 05:28
    @mghrn55 said
    Lemondrop has already bumped up his roster in anticipation of any minimum clan size changes being contemplated by Russ.

My goal at this time is to shine a light on these c ...[text shortened]... ity and lets make this year a competitive one.
    I agree fully. I support you 100% in all these things, including the separate clan rankings, an idea whose time came a long time ago. It may be difficult for the clan system here to move forward without this. Anything short of this is just a band-aid.

Fred chose well.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 12:171 edit
    @suzianne said
    I agree fully. I support you 100% in all these things, including the separate clan rankings, an idea whose time came a long time ago. It may be difficult for the clan system here to move forward without this. Anything short of this is just a band-aid.

Fred chose well.
    Shortcircuit didn't choose, he asked for someone who would like to step up and take over. mghrn55 stepped up and everyone agreed.

I agree that mghrn55 was the best to take over and is doing excellent in his first year at the helm. Also agree with seperate Ratings, just don't know how easy or hard that might be for Russ to do.

This is a topic about the ratings that has been brought up many times in the past by different people!

-VR
  11. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 12:47
    Has the toilet not been flushed yet?
    Cheats still cheating and giving admin the finger
    Sad little creeps...
  12. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 13:33
    @roma45 said
    Has the toilet not been flushed yet?
    Cheats still cheating and giving admin the finger
    Sad little creeps...
    Interesting i got a report and thumb down considering i did not actually mention any players?
    Guilty conscious no doubt..
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 13:481 edit
    @mghrn55 said

My goal at this time is to shine a light on these c ...[text shortened]... ity and lets make this year a competitive one.
    Well said. Too many points to respond to all of them. I will only add that, after the fiasco of the 2016 season, Russ did two things. 1. He proposed several structural changes to the clan system and put them to a vote; the clan captains voted decisively not to implement any of the structural changes proposed. And 2. the miscreant clan had its misbegotten points annulled and a few players were banned.

Russ did what was asked of him and can't be faulted for that.

However, without structural changes, it was likely that someone would try again to manipulate the system, and so it has come to pass. I believe that if only punitive measures are implemented this time, as previously, and not some sort of structural change as well, we run the risk of facing similar manipulation again in future.

Separating clan ratings from all other RHP ratings would be a sensible structural change. Whether that alone would be sufficient to ensure a level playing field, I do not know; it is an experiment worth trying to see how it pans out. Given the result of the previous vote (2017), most of the captains wanted to keep things the same; so any more invasive changes (such as how points are tallied) may be too much to ask (both of Russ and the captains).
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 14:572 edits

Removed by poster

15. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 15:05
    @caesar-salad removed their quoted post
    The implementation of the changes would be another matter for discussion.
    My best guess is that the starting rating for each player would simply be set to their present site rating or TER on day one and each rating would be calculated forward from there.
    I think TER would be better as the bad actors would spent last few days before implementation tanking their ratings in preparation for the cutover.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree