Tournaments overview

Tournaments overview

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
02 Apr 05
1 edit

After being on the receiving end of some persistent nagging, I decided to upload a very basic tournament stats page.

-Russ

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
02 Apr 05

Russ, I have been on these site just a short time but I have been a programmer and web developer for many years. Can I congratulate you and your design team on what must be one of the best web sites out there. What elevates this site above all others is the degree of complexity you have achieved without resort to all those irritating non-standards that restrict people to using a particular version of a particular browser. This kind of site is what the web is all about.

Thanks for all your efforts.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
02 Apr 05

Originally posted by Wheely
Russ, I have been on these site just a short time but I have been a programmer and web developer for many years. Can I congratulate you and your design team on what must be one of the best web sites out there. What elevates this site above all others is the degree of complexity you have achieved without resort to all those irritating non-standards that rest ...[text shortened]... icular browser. This kind of site is what the web is all about.

Thanks for all your efforts.
You are going to hate me for the next big release then...πŸ˜‰

I have had an unwritten policy of just supporting the latest builds of the most common browsers, rather than let the site stagnate because of Netscape 4 compatibility, for example.

The next big release takes some new steps forward, and some browsers will have to be dropped once more. Mac IE 5.2 is the obvious one, if Microsoft can't be bothered to take the browser forward, then I don't want to kill innovation here because of it.

(Mac users, get Safari on you machine now! You have been warned! πŸ™‚)

-Russ

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
02 Apr 05

Originally posted by Russ
You are going to hate me for the next big release then...πŸ˜‰

I have had an unwritten policy of just supporting the latest builds of the most common browsers, rather than let the site stagnate because of Netscape 4 compatibility, for example.

The next big release takes some new steps forward, and some browsers will have to be dropped once more. Mac IE 5.2 ...[text shortened]... ecause of it.

(Mac users, get Safari on you machine now! You have been warned! πŸ™‚)

-Russ
Well, I guess there are some limits πŸ™‚ However, any web site of this complexity that works in konqueror, Mozilla, Firefox and probably even Internet Exploder gets my vote for smarty pants web site of the year!

You're doing a grand job.

s

Gloucestershire , UK

Moves
03 Apr 05

I decided to upload a very basic tournament stats page.

-Russ
yes stats are great, more stats make RHP great, need stats

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
04 Apr 05

I will be dedicating a whole project to producing stats in the future, so the measly player stats at the moment will be expanded considerably.

-Russ

c
Quiet revolutionary

The Edge

Moves
07 Apr 05

I will be dedicating a whole project to producing stats in the future, so the measly player stats at the moment will be expanded considerably.

-Russ
Hurray. Can we have clan head-to-head stats too, please?!

Colette

The RudeΒ©

who knows?

Moves
07 Apr 05

After being on the receiving end of some persistent nagging, I decided to upload a very basic tournament stats page.

-Russ
Who was that nagging guy? *nag*nag*πŸ˜‰

h

Moves
08 Apr 05
1 edit

-Russ
Hi Russ

Do you think it would be possible to dedicate some time to clan stats? I know a lot of clan leaders are very interested in something like cludi from the Vikings Clan has designed on his website:

http://www.clausjensen.com/TheVikings/

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
11 Apr 05

The next big release takes some new steps forward, and some browsers will have to be dropped once more. Mac IE 5.2 is the obvious one, if Microsoft can't be bothered to take the browser forward, then I don't want to kill innovation here because of it.
I have linux so this doesn't really affect me. I'd recommend that it should be possible to still use the site after upgrading it, at least to the extent of being able to make moves in games and enter tournaments and so on. If some "non-core" functionality isn't available to MS windows/IE 5 users then it doesn't matter but there's no point in freezing out lots of players just because they use the market dominant system, and downloading and installing browsers and being ok at chess aren't the same thing...

S

Internet

Moves
12 Apr 05

Originally posted by DeepThought
I have linux so this doesn't really affect me. I'd recommend that it should be possible to still use the site after upgrading it, at least to the extent of being able to make moves in games and enter tournaments and so on. If some "non-core" functionality isn't available to MS windows/IE 5 users then it doesn't matter but there's no point in fre ...[text shortened]... system, and downloading and installing browsers and being ok at chess aren't the same thing...
IE5 for Mac (the browser in question) is in no way the dominant browser on Macs. Mac IE5 is notoriously incompatible, partly due to the fact, that Microsoft discontinued development/updates a year ago. Safari (an alternative browser) is shipped with OS X and a wide selection of other browsers are available for free download.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
12 Apr 05

I will provide a backwardly compatible board interface for a year or two, but general site rendering will be messy on IE Mac. (but still useable for the persistent.)

-Russ