The other premiership teams

The other premiership teams

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
09 Nov 09
2 edits

The premiership has 20 teams. I've removed the top 5 teams.

Can someone tell me what chances these teams had of winning the championship before the season had even started? Would any of you bet money on any of these teams winning the championship?

6 Manchester City
7 Liverpool
8 Sunderland
9 Stoke City
10 Burnley
11 Fulham
12 Everton
13 Wigan Athletic
14 Blackburn Rovers
15 Birmingham City
16 Bolton Wanderers
17 Hull City
18 West Ham United
19 Wolverhampton
20 Portsmouth

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
09 Nov 09

Not only would I not have bet on any of the listed teams winning the title, I wouldn't have put any money on Villa or Tottenham, either. I would have put a small amount on Arsenal, but only if the odds were favorable (i.e. >15 to 1).

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
09 Nov 09

What you fail to see is that this has had little impact on its popularity. To understand why, you would need to understand what type of fans smaller clubs have and why they stick with their clubs through good and bad times.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
09 Nov 09

Originally posted by Palynka
What you fail to see is that this has had little impact on its popularity. To understand why, you would need to understand what type of fans smaller clubs have and why they stick with their clubs through good and bad times.
Not only the fans, but the fact that there is drama at all ends of the table. Watching Hull back out of relegation on the last day of the season was great theatre.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
09 Nov 09

Originally posted by Fleabitten
Not only the fans, but the fact that there is drama at all ends of the table. Watching Hull back out of relegation on the last day of the season was great theatre.
Ah i see. Let them eat cake?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
09 Nov 09

Idiots. You're talking about idiots right?

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
09 Nov 09

Originally posted by uzless
Ah i see. Let them eat cake?
Not necessarily. More like 'Let them be entertained.'

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
09 Nov 09

Idiots. You're talking about idiots right?
You think fans should follow success? 😵

We call them glory-hunters and laugh at them.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
09 Nov 09
1 edit

You think fans should follow success? 😵

We call them glory-hunters and laugh at them.
In Canada we call them Toronto Maple Leaf fans...except there's never any glory.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
09 Nov 09

Would any of you bet money on any of these teams winning the championship?

6 Manchester City
7 Liverpool
8 Sunderland
9 Stoke City
10 Burnley
11 Fulham
12 Everton
13 Wigan Athletic
14 Blackburn Rovers
15 Birmingham City
16 Bolton Wanderers
17 Hull City
18 West Ham United
19 Wolverhampton
20 Portsmouth
Name the odds! I'll accept any bet you're willing to put on any of those teams, OR the other 5 you removed, winning the Championship!

D

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
10 Nov 09

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Name the odds! I'll accept any bet you're willing to put on any of those teams, OR the other 5 you removed, winning the Championship!

D
Well, not this year they won't. Portsmouth next year, maybe.

h

Moves
10 Nov 09

Originally posted by Fleabitten
Well, not this year they won't. Portsmouth next year, maybe.
Ha! Pompei has a better chance of winning the Coca Cola Championship next year.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
10 Nov 09

There's a lot more to competing in a league like the Premier other than "winning
the title" (sic! ~Canadian)

Playing in one of the major leagues of Europe (England, Spain, Italy, Germany,
Netherlands, France, etc.) is about the city or regional derby, about playing the big
team once or twice a season and seeing the big stars balling on the turf of your
home stadium, about competing for the league cup, about making it to the
European slots of the table, about playing teams of other countries... about the
game.

Hey, football in general is beautiful... but then again it would be hard to explain it
to a non-believer.

h

Moves
10 Nov 09

Originally posted by Seitse
There's a lot more to competing in a league like the Premier other than "winning
the title" (sic! ~Canadian)

Playing in one of the major leagues of Europe (England, Spain, Italy, Germany,
Netherlands, France, etc.) is about the city or regional derby, about playing the big
team once or twice a season and seeing the big stars balling on the turf of your ...[text shortened]... in general is beautiful... but then again it would be hard to explain it
to a non-believer.
Agreed.

Uzless, when you have a league that's been running since 1888 (if you ignore the split) you're going to have well established teams that dominate. You're going to end up with one of these dominating teams winning the league, there might be some surprises every few seasons, but the real joy is watching the games themselves, not watching the table.

m

Moves
10 Nov 09

Can someone tell me what chances these teams had of winning the championship before the season had even started? Would any of you bet money on any of these teams winning the championship?

7 Liverpool
2nd place last time, bookies had them at 11-4. Anyone that says they never had a chance this season is engaging in a bit of 20-20 hindsight.