The best ever!

The best ever!

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
10 Feb 11

Originally posted by gambit3
I will guess that maybe that was a jab from you. Otherwise "my team" is in Oakland, California. Everything is bigger in Texas especially OU.
OU is perpetually stocked with the best Texans money can buy.

Of course, I thank God everyday for the state of Oklahoma.
The only reason the state of Texas doesn't float off in to the Gulf of Mexico is because Oklahoma sucks!!

T

Moves
12 Feb 11
2 edits

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Sorry, I think the best Super Bowl ever was Super Bowl VII when the Miami capped the only perfect season in history with a hard fought 14-7 win over Washington.

There were several others I would place ahead of yesterday's game, but the game was pretty good.

Super Bowl III when Joe Namath predicted the Jets victory over the heavily favored Colts is ...[text shortened]... thriller against Carolina??

Those are a few that come to mind for me that were better games.
Interesting thing about the Dolphin's season was that, of their 14 reg season wins, only 2 were against teams who finished with a winning record. They beat KC in week 1 and the Giants in in week 13 (both KC and the Giants finished 8-6). The rest of their opponents all finished under .500, and none of the Dolphins' regular season opponents made the playoffs that year.

Also, home field during the playoffs was chosen on a rotating basis, so the Dolphins actually had to go to Pittsburgh to play the AFC Championship game. They beat the Steelers 21-17 at Three Rivers Stadium to advance to the Super Bowl.

Also, the Dolphins were underdogs in that Super Bowl... they barely got by Pittsburgh (thanks in part to a successful fake punt play) and they only won their first round game 20-14 against the Browns. Meanwhile, the Redskins beat Green Bay 16-3 in the Divisional round and destroyed the defending Super Bowl champion Cowboys 26-3 in the NFC title game, which led to them being installed as about a 1-point favorite over the Dolphins.

That game itself was pretty much the usual bore, like most early Super Bowls (other than the history being made, of course). Miami led 14-0 with about 4 minutes to play in the 4th qtr, and it was the botched FG attempt by Yepremian and company that led to the Redskins' only TD. But the Redskins were really never in the game.

The two Steeler wins over the Cowboys were great games.

The second 49er win over the Bengals was a good one (Montana to Taylor FTW)

All 3 of the Patriots Super Bowl wins were by 3 points, they were all good games (Rams, Eagles and Panthers). The Giants win over the Patriots featured a Giants team that totally outplayed the Patriots, but still needed about 3 miracles on that last drive to win it... and they got 'em.

The Rams win over Tennessee was a good game with a great finish (tackle on the 1 yard line to stop a potential game winning TD as time ran out).

And the Steeler win over the Cardinals a couple of years ago was an exciting game as well.

Oh, and the Steeler's 4th SB win (over the Rams) was a great, great game as well... the Rams led after one qtr 7-3, they led 13-10 at the half and they were still up 19-17 after 3 quarters. They led after every quarter except the 4th. That game saw 7 lead changes.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
12 Feb 11

Originally posted by TheBloop
Interesting thing about the Dolphin's season was that, of their 14 reg season wins, only 2 were against teams who finished with a winning record. They beat KC in week 1 and the Giants in in week 13 (both KC and the Giants finished 8-6). The rest of their opponents all finished under .500, and none of the Dolphins' regular season opponents made the playoff ...[text shortened]... r 3 quarters. They led after every quarter except the 4th. That game saw 7 lead changes.
So, I take it by your omission that you didn't think the Jets over the Colts in SB III was a great game?

Most of the ones you mentioned, I had already mentioned.

s

Moves
12 Feb 11

So, I take it by your omission that you didn't think the Jets over the Colts in SB III was a great game?

How about the worst? Bears-Patriots, 49ers-Chargers and Ravens-Giants. Man those were bad games!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Feb 11

Actually, SB III was pretty boring. Historically significant yes but hardly a great game.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
12 Feb 11

Originally posted by gambit3
I will guess that maybe that was a jab from you. Otherwise "my team" is in Oakland, California. Everything is bigger in Texas especially OU.
LOL, you like satan's team.

T

Moves
13 Feb 11

I agree w/No1 here...

When I listed the "best" Super Bowls, I was strictly going by the actual on-field action. Close games, games in which the lead changed hands, games which were in doubt until the end.

The Jets win over the Colts was a methodical manhandling, and the game was dominated more so by the Jets O-line than anything else...well, their supposedly vulnerable secondary came through with some huge plays (I think they had about 4 interceptions during the game as well). They dominated the Colts on both sides of the ball, and led 16-0 before the Colts finally broke through and scored with around 3 or 4 minutes to play in the 4th qtr. IIRC, I think the Colts also recovered an on side kick after they scored, but that drive eventually stalled.

Also, the NFL films production made it seem like Unitas was marching the team down the field in the final couple of minutes, but that's not really the way it happened. The Jets actually had the ball for most of the final 2-3 minutes, and simply ran out the clock. The Colts got it back with maybe 10 seconds left and ran a couple of plays, but NFL films made the on-field action seem far more dramatic than what actually took place. They even showed the same completed pass from two different angles, trying to make it seem like two separate plays.

The Jets did not attempt a single pass play in the 4th quarter. Nothing but runs.

So, while it was a "great" game from a historical perspective, and what it meant to the AFL (and its effect on the leagues merging), what ACTUALLY took place on the field was, plain and simply, complete and utter domination of the Colts by the underdog Jets. That doesn't make for a great game imo (unless one has a specific rooting interest in the Jets or a hatred for the Colts).

One close game I also omitted was the 16-13 Colts win over the Cowboys in SB V. Although that game was won on a last second field goal by Jim O'Brien, it was one of the sloppiest Super Bowls ever played... Eleven turnovers (including 7 by the winning Colts), and Dallas set a record with 10 penalties. The Colts' 7 turnovers is the most ever by a winning SB team (as one might very well imagine).

s

Moves
17 Feb 11

I agree w/No1 here...

When I listed the "best" Super Bowls, I was strictly going by the actual on-field action. Close games, games in which the lead changed hands, games which were in doubt until the end.

The Jets win over the Colts was a methodical manhandling, and the game was dominated more so by the Jets O-line than anything else...well, their s ...[text shortened]... lts' 7 turnovers is the most ever by a winning SB team (as one might very well imagine).
Excellent post indeed! Great retorpsective of one sloppilly played game! Exciting though!

T

Moves
20 Feb 11

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Excellent post indeed! Great retorpsective of one sloppilly played game! Exciting though!
Thanks... and besides, if No1 thinks that SB III was boring, then you KNOW it wasn't that great of a game... he seems to be a Jets fan

s

Moves
20 Feb 11

Thanks... and besides, if No1 thinks that SB III was boring, then you KNOW it wasn't that great of a game... he seems to be a Jets fan
Excellent point. Exciting games can be boring from the purely statistical or beauty of play perspective. I agree no1marauder is from somewhere in the greater NYC area! It seems more exciting because of Namath's boastful pregame statement then coming through as 17 point dogs, I believe?

T

Moves
20 Feb 11
1 edit

Excellent point. Exciting games can be boring from the purely statistical or beauty of play perspective. I agree no1marauder is from somewhere in the greater NYC area! It seems more exciting because of Namath's boastful pregame statement then coming through as 17 point dogs, I believe?
Oh, no doubt about it! That is definitely part of the mystique of that one particular game. And the fact that a New York team was involved also helps. I remember a few years later, when Minnesota played Oakland (SB XI), Fran Tarkenton also made a very public pronouncement before the game that the Vikings would win. It wasn't that big of a deal because the Raiders were only favored by about 4 points.

Although he wasn't able to make good on his boast, it wouldn't have been the same even if he did.

Not that there's anything wrong with a QB displaying confidence before a big game, but Namath and Tarkenton were really the first two QBs that I can remember to go public predicting a victory for their teams in a Super Bowl. (Lots of players at OTHER positions went public with such things, but we didn't normally see QBs doing it).

Oakland, of course, ended up crushing the Vikings 32-14. IIRC, I think that Tarkenton appeared as a guest host on Saturday Night Live not long after the game, and in his monologue, he talked about the failed prediction and how the Vikings were defeated by a "very very lucky Oakland team".

Well, I just looked it up to check... the game was played on January 9, 1977, and Tarkenton hosted SNL on January 29, 1977.

OTHER TRIVIA: The Jan 9 game was the earliest game in SB history. The regular season started a week earlier because Christmas 1976 fell on a Saturday and the NFL wanted to avoid scheduling playoff games on Christmas Day. The Divisional playoffs were held on December 18-19 and the two Conference Championship games were held on Sunday December 26.

It was also the last SB to be finished under daylight. The game was played at the Rose Bowl in California, and started at 12:47 pm Pacific Time (3:47 pm in the East)

s

Moves
20 Feb 11

Oh, no doubt about it! That is definitely part of the mystique of that one particular game. And the fact that a New York team was involved also helps. I remember a few years later, when Minnesota played Oakland (SB XI), Fran Tarkenton also made a very public pronouncement before the game that the Vikings would win. It wasn't that big of a deal because t ...[text shortened]... the Rose Bowl in California, and started at 12:47 pm Pacific Time (3:47 pm in the East)
I don't remember Tarkenton's boastful prediction. Perhaps becuase of being 4 point dogs it indeed was not deemed as big a deal. This kind of stuff makes the game even more interesting. I remember HOllywood Henderson calling Terry Bradshaw dumb and saying Terry could not spell cat if he spotted him the c and the t. Then Cowboys lost. After that about as colorful as it gets is Woodson telling Obama "t's OK if Obama doesn't come to Dallas because we're going to go see him at the WH!" Or somethin' like that.

I visited Rice university two years ago and remeber standing in awe of the site and telling my son about SB VIII being played there in 1974. That's the closest I'd ever been to a SB site before this last one.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
20 Feb 11
1 edit

I don't remember Tarkenton's boastful prediction. Perhaps becuase of being 4 point dogs it indeed was not deemed as big a deal. This kind of stuff makes the game even more interesting. I remember HOllywood Henderson calling Terry Bradshaw dumb and saying Terry could not spell cat if he spotted him the c and the t. Then Cowboys lost. After that about as yed there in 1974. That's the closest I'd ever been to a SB site before this last one.
Geez, if you visited Rice University two years ago, why didn't you drive right up the road a few block and you could have seen Reliant Stadium as well which also hosted a Super Bowl.

Then you could have been doubly awed.

Then if you looked next door, you would have seen the Astrodome.
That is where the greatest college basketball game in history was held.
You remember....UCLA with Lew Alcindor gets beaten by Univ of Houston with Elvin Hayes?

You could have been triple awed.

Then you could have traveled a few more blocks to the Univ of Houston campus.
There you could have seen two famous sites.
Roberson Stadium was the home of the AFL champion Houston Oilers
Hoffeinz Pavilion was the home of Phi Slamma Jamma.
Remember Hakeem & Clyde & Micheal??

You could have then driven the streets in the area where they have held Formula One races.

Man, you could have been truly awful in Houston!!!!! 😉😀

s

Moves
22 Feb 11

Geez, if you visited Rice University two years ago, why didn't you drive right up the road a few block and you could have seen Reliant Stadium as well which also hosted a Super Bowl.

Then you could have been doubly awed.

Then if you looked next door, you would have seen the Astrodome.
That is where the greatest college basketball game in history ...[text shortened]... they have held Formula One races.

Man, you could have been truly awful in Houston!!!!! 😉😀
Actually I stood on Westheimer in total awe of what a cesspool Houston is! All those other places are meaningless. Just like the current Cowboys stadium. Lifeless and cold. Rice stadium is awesome. Kyle Field is awesome. All those other places mean nothing to me at all.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
22 Feb 11
1 edit

EWWWWWWWWWW .........................

Giants fan. And Upstate NY, not the NYC area.