The Babe Ruth of....

The Babe Ruth of....

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
02 Dec 06

In researching some Cricket legend and lore I came across a startling number of references to such and such player being "The Babe Ruth of...."

For instance, an Australia Cricket player named Dan Broadman was often referred to as "The Babe Ruth of Cricket." Contemporary Australian newspaper articles even refer to him as "Babe Broadman"

There is no question that Babe Ruth is the Gold Standard and that got me thinking...how many "The Babe Ruth of..." where there. Below I have posted a short list from a Wikipedia article.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
02 Dec 06

The Black Babe Ruth, Josh Gibson
The Babe Ruth of Cricket, Sir Donald Bradman
The Babe Ruth of Poker, Doyle Brunson
The Babe Ruth of Tenors, Enrico Caruso
The Babe Ruth of Basketball, Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, or Hank Luisetti
The Babe Ruth of Softball, Millie Deegan
The Babe Ruth of Wrestling, Dan Gable
The Babe Ruth of the Schoolyards, Lou Gehrig
The Babe Ruth of Silicon Valley, Steve Jobs
The Babe Ruth of Competetive Eating, Takeru Kobayashi
The Babe Ruth of Japan, Sadaharu Oh
The Babe Ruth of Horror, Vincent Price
The Babe Ruth of Bank Robbers, Willie Sutton
The Babe Ruth of Hockey, Howie Morenz

I

Moves
02 Dec 06

Originally posted by Red Night
In researching some Cricket legend and lore I came across a startling number of references to such and such player being "The Babe Ruth of...."

For instance, an Australia Cricket player named Dan Broadman was often referred to as "The Babe Ruth of Cricket." Contemporary Australian newspaper articles even refer to him as "Babe Broadman"

There is no q ...[text shortened]... abe Ruth of..." where there. Below I have posted a short list from a Wikipedia article.
From Wikipedia:

"In The Best of the Best, statistician Charles Davis argues that Bradman's performance is the most dominant of any player of any major sport. He calculates the number of standard deviations above the mean that several prominent individual sporting statistics lie. The top performers in various sports are:

Athlete Sport Statistic Standard deviations
Bradman Cricket Batting average 4.4
Pelé Soccer Goals per game 3.7
Ty Cobb Baseball Batting average 3.6
Jack Nicklaus Golf Major titles 3.5
Michael Jordan Basketball Points per game 3.4
Björn Borg Tennis Grand slam titles 3.2

In order to post a similarly dominant career statistic as Bradman, a baseball batter would need a career batting average of 0.392, while a basketballer would need to score 43 points per game."

It seems that Ty Cobb is the Donald Bradman of baseball. Who's Babe Ruth?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
02 Dec 06

Originally posted by Ian68
From Wikipedia:

"In The Best of the Best, statistician Charles Davis argues that Bradman's performance is the most dominant of any player of any major sport. He calculates the number of standard deviations above the mean that several prominent individual sporting statistics lie. The top performers in various sports are:

Athlete Sport Statistic Standard d ...[text shortened]... ints per game."

It seems that Ty Cobb is the Donald Bradman of baseball. Who's Babe Ruth?
Everybody knows who Babe Ruth is

Who is Charles Davis?

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
02 Dec 06

Everybody knows who Babe Ruth is

Who is Charles Davis?
Charles Davis must be the Babe Ruth of statisticians. 😕

E
Cognitive Junta

Moves
03 Dec 06

There is no q ...[text shortened]... abe Ruth of..." where there. Below I have posted a short list from a Wikipedia article.
Don Bradman "The Babe Ruth Of Cricket". Blasphemy! BLASPHEMY I SAY!
I think "The God Of Cricket" is more appropriate.

AB

Moves
03 Dec 06

Who's "Dan Broadman"? 😲

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
03 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Angry Boy
Who's "Dan Broadman"? 😲
He was some cricket player from Australia that is known as the Babe Ruth of Cricket.

He met Ruth in 1934. Here is a front page Australian news article preserved in the State Library Archives.

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/bradman/scrapbooks/15/bsb15217.htm

Apparently, Bradman was a big baseball fan and you can see from the picture that he was delighted by the opportunity to dress up in a "real" baseball uniform and pose for a picture even though he "begged off" on the opportunity to attempt to hit.

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
03 Dec 06

He was some cricket player from Australia that is known as the Babe Ruth of Cricket.

He met Ruth in 1934. Here is a front page Australian news article preserved in the State Library Archives.

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/bradman/scrapbooks/15/bsb15217.htm

Apparently, Bradman was a big baseball fan and you can see from the picture that he was deligh ...[text shortened]... orm and pose for a picture even though he "begged off" on the opportunity to attempt to hit.
You'll have to tone it down just a tad if you wish people to really bite. You yanks possess no subtlety.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by dyl
You'll have to tone it down just a tad if you wish people to really bite. You yanks possess no subtlety.
"Jove, a double play"

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
03 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Esoteric
Don Bradman "The Babe Ruth Of Cricket". Blasphemy! BLASPHEMY I SAY!
I think "The God Of Cricket" is more appropriate.
Here is another Australian news article that refers to him as "the Babe Ruth of Australian Cricket"

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/bradman/scrapbooks/15/bsb15155.htm

I've got another that calls him the "Bambino of Cricket." Would you like to see that as well?

E
YNWA

Moves
03 Dec 06
1 edit

There is no q abe Ruth of..." where there. Below I have posted a short list from a Wikipedia article.
What are this Babe Ruth's stats? I've heard the name but have no clue how good he was at his particular sport.

Edit: Also can you post some statistics of modern-day best players (and also an explanation of what the hell they mean)?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
What are this Babe Ruth's stats? I've heard the name but have no clue how good he was at his particular sport.
LOL That's a good one Liverpool.

E
YNWA

Moves
03 Dec 06

LOL That's a good one Liverpool.
Actually I was serious. If you think his stats won't stand up to scrutiny and will make him look a bit rubbish really then by all means don't post them.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
03 Dec 06

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
Actually I was serious. If you think his stats won't stand up to scrutiny and will make him look a bit rubbish really then by all means don't post them.
There are certain athletes who transcend their sport and sport itself.

Examples:

Babe Ruth
Michael Jordan
Pele
Arnold Palmer

They become household names, icons; immediately recognizable by everyone even those who know nothing about sports.

Ruth is one of those players. Perhaps the biggest sports icon of all time.

(In any event, his stats are posted in the "Greatest Baseball player ever..." Thread here in this forum.