Spurs

Spurs

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
30 Oct 08

Originally posted by Angry Boy
Durrs

I'm 35. I remember Forest and Aston Villa winning the European Cup - but let's get back to the point.

Who won the FA and Worthless Cups last season?

What percentage of last seasons 3 English competitions were won by Big 4 clubs?

Why, when you're made to look a fool do you resort to the usual armchair football / real fans tripe?
Just so we can get things moving again:

FA Cup - Portsmouth
League Cup - Spurs

33%

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
30 Oct 08

Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
I really think only the champions getting auto entry to the CL and another 4 teams coming from a Premier League knockout competition will work.

&

Surely this is better than a 39th game in Australia or South Korea.
Anyone wanting to cash in would play the knockout CL Qual comp overseas - tey'd love it and it'd make a killing.

It'd not be good for footy in this country though.

s

6yd box

Moves
30 Oct 08

Now that Spurs seem to be back and i'm glad to see it.

Media reports are linking Uniteds reserve keeper Foster as their number 1 target.

Any comments anyone? πŸ™‚
i agree with you..Gomaz may have some faults!πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

s

6yd box

Moves
30 Oct 08

Durrs

I'm 35. I remember Forest and Aston Villa winning the European Cup - but let's get back to the point.

Who won the FA and Worthless Cups last season?

What percentage of last seasons 3 English competitions were won by Big 4 clubs?

Why, when you're made to look a fool do you resort to the usual armchair football / real fans tripe?
well the fact you refer to it as the "Worthless Cups" proves my point.

THANK YOUπŸ™„

s

6yd box

Moves
30 Oct 08

Originally posted by dicky
Actually, I've just heard that Madonna has been installed as favourite to take over the managers job from Ramos. She's been keeping clean sheets for 18 months :-)
ANY MORE JOKES DICKY?

well i got one for you...

Please can anyone help the arseanl fan who has lost his dog. He could not hold on to the lead..if you can help please ring
3 1 3 2 4 2 4 3 4 4 πŸ˜€

s

6yd box

Moves
30 Oct 08

Originally posted by Daemon Sin
Just so we can get things moving again:

FA Cup - Portsmouth
League Cup - Spurs

33%
not lets find the total over the last 5 years!!

AB

Moves
31 Oct 08

Originally posted by spurs73
well the fact you refer to it as the "Worthless Cups" proves my point.

THANK YOUπŸ™„
Er ... no it doesn't. Give up, you're digging yourself into a hole.

AB

Moves
31 Oct 08
1 edit

Originally posted by spurs73
not lets find the total over the last 5 years!!
Just for you

FA Cup - 80% won by Big 4 in last 5 years

2008 Portsmouth
2007 Chelsea
2006 Liverpool
2005 Arsenal
2004 Manchester United

League Cup - 60% won by Big 4 in last 5 years

08 Spurs
07 Chelsea
06 ManU
05 Chelsea
04 Boro

League - 100% won by Big 4 in last 5 years

08 ManU
07 ManU
06 Chelsea
05 Chelsea
04 Arsenal

Total - 12 from 15 = 80%

Not 95%

... and what does it prove? That there are 4 clubs who win 80% of the trophies up for grabs domestically? Can you select any other 5 year period over the last 20 years where this figure is SIGNIFICANTLY less? In fact pick any European league and see how they compare.

What do you want? 10 teams realistically capable of winning the league? Because that's never been the case and never will.

There will always be stronger teams and weaker teams and there will always be periods of dominance by a few teams.

I think what you really object to is the SKY razzmatazz surrounding the big 4.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
31 Oct 08

Hmmm. 20% of clubs win 80% of trophies. I've seen that 80\20 thing loads, they should give it a name.

s

6yd box

Moves
31 Oct 08

i think RHB has said it better then i ever could.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
31 Oct 08
2 edits

Just for you

FA Cup - 80% won by Big 4 in last 5 years

2008 Portsmouth
2007 Chelsea
2006 Liverpool
2005 Arsenal
2004 Manchester United

League Cup - 60% won by Big 4 in last 5 years

08 Spurs
07 Chelsea
06 ManU
05 Chelsea
04 Boro

League - 100% won by Big 4 in last 5 years

08 ManU
07 ManU
06 Chelsea
05 Chelsea
04 Arsenal

Tot a few teams.

I think what you really object to is the SKY razzmatazz surrounding the big 4.
... and what does it prove? That there are 4 clubs who win 80% of the trophies up for grabs domestically? Can you select any other 5 year period over the last 20 years where this figure is SIGNIFICANTLY less? In fact pick any European league and see how they compare.

Actually if you look into the data in a little more detail it proves that saying the "big 4" win everything (or 80 percent) is a myth.

It looks like there have been only 2 teams over the last 5 years that are clearly better than the rest, so we are like Scotland and a "big 2" league.

Total Trophies Over last 5 years (from Angry Boy data):-

5 Chelsea
4 Manchester United
2 Arsenal
1 Portsmouth
1 Spurs
1 Boro
1 Liverpool

So the "big 2" have won 60% of all domestic cups over the last 5 years. If one of the "big 2" don't win, there's a random chance anyone can win it.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
31 Oct 08

lulz

AB

Moves
01 Nov 08

So the "big 2" have won 60% of all domestic cups over the last 5 years. If one of the "big 2" don't win, there's a random chance anyone can win it.
Fair point. So it's a Big 2 not Big 4, and my team aren't in it?

So I should be siding with Spurs73 then?

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
01 Nov 08

Fair point. So it's a Big 2 not Big 4, and my team aren't in it?

So I should be siding with Spurs73 then?
Well it depends on the word domestic.

I think the stats show over the last 5 years that Chelsea and United have dominated things domestically.
The 6 trophies of the available 15 the "big2" didn't win, they were often in the final of as well.

However, if you include European trophies, the difficulty of winnig the Champions League and the value of finishing in the top 4, then clearly there are a top 4 sides that are better and consistently more sucessful than the rest.

Personally I think a top 5 will developed next season with City joining the big boys, mind you Arsenal may drop out looking at recent results and the top 4 may become United, Chelsea, Liverpool and City πŸ™‚

To summerize, you have to include Europe and the value of finishing in a CL spot, so there is a "big4".
I think next season if City follow the Chelsea path then the "big4" will become a "big5" and things will become unpredictable.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
01 Nov 08

Let's all laugh at Angry Boy today.

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€