1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 07:10
    Does Dennis Popovich deserve to be sanctioned for resting his marquee players versus the Miami Heat tonight?

I believe the final score was 105-100. The Spurs led for most of the game.
  2. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 13:02
    Who's Dennis Popovich?
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 14:23
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Does Dennis Popovich deserve to be sanctioned for resting his marquee players versus the Miami Heat tonight?

I believe the final score was 105-100. The Spurs led for most of the game.
    You mean Greg Popovich, don't you?

And, no, I don't think he deserves sanctions.
    How stupid this will look when it is explained that Miami's superstars were barely able
    to beat the second string, after trailing most of the game.

This one will be interesting. Stern is about to be made to look like a real jackass here.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 14:37
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    You mean Greg Popovich, don't you?

And, no, I don't think he deserves sanctions.
    How stupid this will look when it is explained that Miami's superstars were barely able
    to beat the second string, after trailing most of the game.

This one will be interesting. Stern is about to be made to look like a real jackass here.
    I agree that there should not be sanctions as San Antonio is always competitve and they can choose to play or rest who they wish. However, Stern is going to punish San Antonio as the Miami fans paid for tickets and they did not get to see what they expected to see.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 14:39
    I think it's ridiculous. If you don't want the Spurs to rest players, don't give them 4 games in 5 nights and 11 road games on one month.

Losing the battle to win the war is something that coaches are faced with all the time. The Colts benched Peyton Manning in the second half of a game a few years ago with a 14-0 record and consequently lost the game (though they did not win that SB that year anyway). This sort of thing happens on sports all the time. Coaches have to do what they believe is in the best long term interest of the team, not what's in the best interest of the fans coming to see the game that night. Ultimately, what your fans want is for you to win and any good faith decision towards that end is fair, IMO.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 14:49
    Originally posted by sh76
    I think it's ridiculous. If you don't want the Spurs to rest players, don't give them 4 games in 5 nights and 11 road games on one month.

Losing the battle to win the war is something that coaches are faced with all the time. The Colts benched Peyton Manning in the second half of a game a few years ago with a 14-0 record and consequently lost the game (thou ...[text shortened]... your fans want is for you to win and any good faith decision towards that end is fair, IMO.
    I agree but Stern will punish San Antonio because decisions dissatisfied ticket purchasers is bad for business. Furthmore, the "your schedule is stupid" arguement, while truthful, is not want Stern wants to be told.
  7. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 16:27
    Originally posted by quackquack
    However, Stern is going to punish San Antonio as the Miami fans paid for tickets and they did not get to see what they expected to see.
    As if the fair weather fans in Miami actually cared. They saw their stars play and get a W. I doubt anyone who went is heartbroken enough to think Pop deserves discipline.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 18:111 edit
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    As if the fair weather fans in Miami actually cared. They saw their stars play and get a W. I doubt anyone who went is heartbroken enough to think Pop deserves discipline.
    Television definitely cares and the fans who wanted to see Duncan and company care too. I'm not saying coaches have to do everything that would maximize the league's money. But San Antonio plays one regular season road game against the champs and treated it like it was less important than an exhibition game. The league will not tolerate this.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 18:22
    I just heard the spread went from 4.5 to 13 when San Antonio's decision to sit players was announced. Perhaps this is another factor.
  10. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 20:08
    I can't wait for Stern to retire.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 04:56
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    I can't wait for Stern to retire.
    Stern is on a power trip to be sure. He will step in it big time if he sanctions SA.
    I am ready for his show to leave town as well.
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 23:21
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Television definitely cares and the fans who wanted to see Duncan and company care too. I'm not saying coaches have to do everything that would maximize the league's money. But San Antonio plays one regular season road game against the champs and treated it like it was less important than an exhibition game. The league will not tolerate this.
    The Spurs are a poor national tv draw anyway. NBA commish just doesn't like the Spurs or Coach Pop because they are all about team not dinero. To me it just another affirmation that the NBA is only about the money.
    GO SPURS !!!! 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree