One Day International cricket = history?

One Day International cricket = history?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

6yd box

Moves
26 Sep 07

Originally posted by trevor33
the reason (or so they say) that cricket and rugby aren't in the olympics is because they're not 'international enough' to gain a place.

but twenty20 and rugby sevens would be perfect.
Trevor remind us all, how many countries in the world play baseball😏

t

my island

Moves
26 Sep 07

Originally posted by spurs73
Trevor remind us all, how many countries in the world play baseball😏
you want a list?

usa
cuba
japan
mexico
korea
dominican republic
honduras
canada
holland
all the little central american countries
gb and ireland have a team.
as do most other european countries.

how many countries outside those who where in the world cup play cricket?

i'm not sticking up for baseball, or cricket. i think both of them shouldn't be in the olympics and won't be after 2008.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
27 Sep 07
2 edits

Originally posted by trevor33
you want a list?

usa
cuba
japan
mexico
korea
dominican republic
honduras
canada
holland
all the little central american countries
gb and ireland have a team.
as do most other european countries.

how many countries outside those who where in the world cup play cricket?

i'm not sticking up for baseball, or cricket. i think both of them shouldn't be in the olympics and won't be after 2008.
We've had this 'argument' before.

I think the best way to check this is to see how many countries have professional legues, then we can have an idea how 'international' a sport is:
Here's an image showing ICC member nations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ICC-cricket-member-nations.png
and here's a listing of full member nations with relevant population figures:
India 1,169,016,000
Pakistan 161,284,000
Bangladesh 158,665,000
United Kingdom 60,587,300
South Africa 48,577,000
Kenya 37,538,000
Australia 21,070,316
Sri Lanka 19,299,000
Zimbabwe 13,349,000
New Zealand 4,235,850
West Indies - Couple of million people in the Carribean

So, checking those figures quickly gets to about 1.7 billion people - a quarter of the earth's population - watching and playing cricket professionally.
I haven't extrapolated any stats from countries that are not full members, because I think that won't be very easy and I believe baseball can't get even close to the amount of people who actively follow cricket. I say ACTIVELY FOLLOW, because there is no use in listing countries that have 10 people playing baseball/cricket on a Sunday afternoon and then listing them.

Can baseball get anywhere near that?

t

Moves
27 Sep 07

Originally posted by Crowley
We've had this 'argument' before.

I think the best way to check this is to see how many countries have professional legues, then we can have an idea how 'international' a sport is:
Here's an image showing ICC member nations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ICC-cricket-member-nations.png
and here's a listing of full member nations with relevant popula ...[text shortened]...
South Africa 48,577,000
Australia 21,070,316
Sri Lanka 19,299,000
NZ ... 4 000 000 + a few ... πŸ™‚

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
27 Sep 07

Originally posted by treetalk
NZ ... 4 000 000 + a few ... πŸ™‚
Sorry, I accidentally posted before I was finished.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
27 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by mtthw
Now there's a thought. Twenty20 is the perfect format to get cricket in the Olympics.
Cricket making a return to the Olympics?

After it's "thrilling" debut and swan song at the 1900 games in Paris?

Who can ever forget watching England destroy the only other team in the tournament, a team composed of British Embassy Clerks hastily put together to "represent" France?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
27 Sep 07

So, checking those figures quickly gets to about 1.7 billion people - a quarter of the earth's population - watching and playing cricket professionally.
I love this idiocy. A quarter of the world's population watching & playing professional cricket? But they can only sell out one Twenty20 match.

You're delusional.

You know they play baseball in China, Japan, USA, and most of Latin, Central, and south America. Add up those populations.

πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
27 Sep 07

Originally posted by Red Night
I love this idiocy. A quarter of the world's population watching & playing professional cricket? But they can only sell out one Twenty20 match.

You're delusional.

You know they play baseball in China, Japan, USA, and most of Latin, Central, and south America. Add up those populations.

πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„
So, you rate the popularity of a sport by the amount of fat people who squeeze into a stadium, scoffing down hot-dogs and Pepsi?
Great logic by our resident Retardo-Statistician.

Cricket is practically a religion in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, supported by fanatical general public supporters.
The game is very big in all the other ICC full member states, being played at most schools and up through to professional level and has massive support throughout these countries, although, according to your logic, just because the people in these countries are not as rich as American supporters and can't always make it to the game, they don't count...

There is a reason I posted the word 'professional'.
How many people really follow baseball in China? I see their league only started in 2002 and they have a GRAND TOTAL of 6 teams playing. Wow. The billion+ people of China are really spoiled for choice, eh? We have more professional and semi-professional cricket teams than that, just in my small province of Gauteng.
Also, just because some kids in Santiago hit balls with sticks doesn't mean you can count that country as a 'baseball playing/supporting' nation.
From wikipedia: "Baseball is most popular in East Asia and the Americas, although in South America its popularity is mainly limited to the northern portion of the continent. In The Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Japan, Cuba, Panama, Venezuela, Nicaragua, South Korea, and Taiwan, it is one of the most popular sports."

I was playing by the rules, but since you won't, have a look at this graphic, showing all the International Cricket Council member states and affiliates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ICC-cricket-member-nations.png
Since some form of cricket is played in all the highlighted nations, I can include their numbers like you did for baseball, right? BTW, China is listed as an affiliate member for cricket too πŸ˜‰
If I include all the ICC affiliates etc. into the calculation, it pushes the cricket numbers up to almost 4 billion people.

So, in summary. Cricket is a 'bigger' sport than baseball.
Hell, we even have world cups where more than one nation competes.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
27 Sep 07
1 edit

Also, just because some kids in Santiago hit balls with sticks doesn't mean you can count that country as a 'baseball playing/supporting' nation.
Actually, the Dominican Republic is crazy for baseball.

M

Moves
27 Sep 07

Hell, we even have world cups where more than one nation competes.
There are 2, the Baseball World Cup and the World Baseball Classic.

M

Moves
27 Sep 07

And who cares what sport is "bigger," they both have large audiences worldwide. This debate is about as decisive as NFL vs. Football and Judaism vs. Islam.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
28 Sep 07

Originally posted by Red Night
Actually, the Dominican Republic is crazy for baseball.
LOL, I see geography is another one of your 'strong' suits.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
28 Sep 07

Originally posted by MoneyManMike
And who cares what sport is "bigger," they both have large audiences worldwide. This debate is about as decisive as NFL vs. Football and Judaism vs. Islam.
The point I'm making is:
Sure, baseball is big worldwide, but cricket is bigger.
Why is only baseball included in the Olympics?

Answer:
The Americans don't have a hot-dogs' chance in a baseball stadium to win a medal in it, so they make sure it's not included.

m

Moves
28 Sep 07

Originally posted by MoneyManMike
Seconded. This debate was not that interesting the first few times, it's beyond dull now. Can we drop it please?

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
28 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by mtthw
Seconded. This debate was not that interesting the first few times, it's beyond dull now. Can we drop it please?
You mean you don't argue just for the sake of keeping your typing sKilLZ up to scratch?

I need all the practice I can get.

Also, arguing on the InterWeb is FUN!