NBA Playoff Thread

NBA Playoff Thread

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

Moves
11 May 08

Originally posted by MoneyManMike
Wrong, the Lakers have the triangle offense, the Cavs just have Lebron. If the Cavs get swept I think they really need to fire Mike Brown, he is wasting Lebron's talent by using an inferior offensive system.
Well it looks like the Cavs dominated tonight, although the Celts still did a good job of holding Lebron to only 21 points. So in 3 second round games, Lebron has 54 points compared to Kobe's 106. That's almost double. Don't get me wrong Lebron is good, but I still think Kobe is better. And I know your going to say that the Celts have a better defense than the Jazz and I know this. But if Lebron were really as good as some of you make him to be then he'd be scoring more even against a great defense.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 May 08

Yea, the Celtics haven't won on the road yet this postseason, the Lakers have. lol, anyways there is still a round and a half until the finals, lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I bet your praying that Mr. Big Shot doesn't recover from his injury huh no1marauder?
Who's "Mr. Big Shot"? I don't hope that anyone is injured.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 May 08
2 edits

Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
Well it looks like the Cavs dominated tonight, although the Celts still did a good job of holding Lebron to only 21 points. So in 3 second round games, Lebron has 54 points compared to Kobe's 106. That's almost double. Don't get me wrong Lebron is good, but I still think Kobe is better. And I know your going to say that the Celts have a better defe ...[text shortened]... s good as some of you make him to be then he'd be scoring more even against a great defense.
Yes Kobe could beat the other 7 teams in the playoffs all by himself.

I was hoping this thread wouldn't denigrate into another "the Lakers are great, everybody else stinks" manifesto but I guess you two just don't let up.

J

Moves
11 May 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
Yes Kobe could beat the other 7 teams in the playoffs all by himself.

I was hoping this thread wouldn't denigrate into another "the Lakers are great, everybody else stinks" manifesto but I guess you two just don't let up.
hey I wasn't trying too. I was being nice and polite but once again you've tested me and as I've already said I am going to defend my team before I defend anyone else. I don't deny that some of the other teams are great. Boston is a great team but they have yet to win a playoff road game so I'm not sold on them yet. Sure they had the biggest turnaround and the best record but none of that matters come playoff time. And so far in the playoffs, the Lakers have played the best basketball. Cleveland is good, but like I said until they get someone else to complement Lebron they are not going to do anything. The Hornets are a MAGNIFICENT TEAM and after watching the last Spurs-Hornets game I give more credit to CP3. That guy is amazing and will be one of the best when he retires. The Spurs are a good team but not so dominant anymore because of their age. The Magic are an interesting team and one whom I would like to see maybe go to the Finals. And finally the Pistons. To be honest I never liked the Pistons, I've always thought that they were somewhat of a dirty team. I do like Billups and Prince but I cannot stand Rasheed Wallace or Rick Hamilton. They are a great team also but they don't always keep their minds focused on what they need to and that's why the series is 2-2 right now as it was in the first round also.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 May 08

Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
hey I wasn't trying too. I was being nice and polite but once again you've tested me and as I've already said I am going to defend my team before I defend anyone else. I don't deny that some of the other teams are great. Boston is a great team but they have yet to win a playoff road game so I'm not sold on them yet. Sure they had the biggest turnar ...[text shortened]... ey need to and that's why the series is 2-2 right now as it was in the first round also.
The Piston series is 3-1 as they won yesterday without Billups. The Pistons are probably the most balanced team in the NBA (they have about 5 guys of fairly equal ability that can take the decisive shot - yesterday it was Kaysheen Prince) + they have loads of playoff experience. They are a formidable opponent; I though Orlando's inside presence with the best center in the league + their three point shooting could overcome them, but the Magic seemed to forget Howard was on the floor in crunch time yesterday. Detroit now has a commanding lead.

As of right now, the Lakers are in the same position as the Celtics, up 2-1, and Utah is a lot tougher at home than the Cavs (they had the best home record in the NBA during the season). Your first round sweep doesn't mean anything anymore. It might make it tough, but the Celtics don't need to win a single game on the road to win the NBA championship. Their defensive intensity seems to flag when they don't have to win (they played extremely poorly yesterday for sure) but plenty of teams have won the championship after playing a few poor playoff games.

The Spurs are the Spurs; to me they remain the favorites until someone beats them. The Hornets have played exceedingly well, but you have to wonder if the lack of playoff experience will tell in the end.

J

Moves
11 May 08

The Piston series is 3-1 as they won yesterday without Billups. The Pistons are probably the most balanced team in the NBA (they have about 5 guys of fairly equal ability that can take the decisive shot - yesterday it was Kaysheen Prince) + they have loads of playoff experience. They are a formidable opponent; I though Orlando's inside presence with the ...[text shortened]... edingly well, but you have to wonder if the lack of playoff experience will tell in the end.
Ok fair enough, I forgot that the Pistons won last yesterday. Orlando should have won but as you said they do not give it to Howard enough. Same thing happened in game 3 even though they won that game, they did not give the ball to Howard enough.

Moves
11 May 08

Game of the day .... Hornets vs. Spurs. LETS GEAUX HORNETS!!!!!!

M

Moves
12 May 08

Who's "Mr. Big Shot"? I don't hope that anyone is injured.
Chauncey Billups, that is his nickname because he hits so many clutch shots supposedly.

M

Moves
12 May 08

They don't give it to Howard in crunch time because he doesn't shoot FT's well. Thats why he isn't the best center in the league right now; I think Duncan is the best center in the league. He is clutch, is fundamentally sound, and he is considered one of the premier players at both ends of the floor. It just goes to show you that the best stats don't always mean that player is the best.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 May 08
1 edit

They don't give it to Howard in crunch time because he doesn't shoot FT's well. Thats why he isn't the best center in the league right now; I think Duncan is the best center in the league. He is clutch, is fundamentally sound, and he is considered one of the premier players at both ends of the floor. It just goes to show you that the best stats don't always mean that player is the best.
Duncan isn't a center, Mr. Expert.

Howard ain't a great FT shooter at 59%, but if that was Van Gundy's "reasoning" he ought to be fired. Down by 1 with a few seconds to go, I'd rather go with my big man (who was a first team all-NBA pick) than rely on Turk driving into the heart of the Piston defense. Since a bad performance in Game 1, Howard has been 12-17 at the line; a respectable 71%. I doubt the Pistons were going to deliberately foul him in a situation where 1 of 2 means OT and 2 of 2 means an even series.

M

Moves
12 May 08

Duncan isn't a center, Mr. Expert.
Than what is he?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 May 08
1 edit

Than what is he?
A power forward and he always has been.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/teamDepthChart?statsId=24

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 May 08
2 edits

BTW, LA's "triangle offense" looked an awful lot like "give the ball to one guy while the others stand around in crunch time" today ala the Cavs and King James. 34 shots by Kobe including 1-7 in the OT? How many did "Mr. High Basketball IQ" get blocked? I saw Kirilenko stuff him at least once in OT.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 May 08
1 edit

Chauncey Billups, that is his nickname because he hits so many clutch shots supposedly.
I like Billups, thought the Celtics were idiots to get rid of him during his rookie season and hope he fully recovers from his injury in time for a Piston-Celtic series (IF there is one).

M

Moves
12 May 08

A power forward and he always has been.
Tim Duncan plays both positions depending on who is out on the floor with him and/or against him. Saying that he isn't a center is flat out wrong. Its like saying that since Kobe plays SG a lot that he isn't also a SF. Or that since LeBron plays SF that he can't never be considered a PG, or a Point Forward if you will. There are many different variations as far as positions are concerned in today's game of basketball, its tough to cement a player to just one specific position, especially in the PF/C positions where the differences between them is very ambiguous. If its any easier to comprehend, Tim Duncan is the most dominant "Big Man" in today's game.