1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 22:31
    We are the champions, my friends!!

How bout them Reds!! They won their opener in the bottom of the 9nth with 2 outs. Love it!!

So who will lose to the Reds in the World Series this year?

Speculations?
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '09
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 23:04
    fc groningen will win!!!!!!!!!
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 01:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    We are the champions, my friends!!

How bout them Reds!! They won their opener in the bottom of the 9nth with 2 outs. Love it!!

So who will lose to the Reds in the World Series this year?

Speculations?
    I don't believe the Reds will win their division, much less the NL pennant.
    They have a great stable of young hitters, but their pitching depth is suspect.
    St. Louis and Milwaukee both appear to be up to the challenge in the Central.

I believe all of the smart money is on Philadelphia who possess the best pitching in the league.
    The Giants are also strong in the arms race.
    Funny how both of their closers open the season on the DL though.
    With the thoroughbreds they trot out to the hill, they can get by with a depleted pen for a while.

The AL is a bit tougher to figure, although, you have to think the Yankees will be in the mix. The Bosox will be in the mix as well.
    The Rangers may also have the goods with Nolan Ryan at the helm.
    Minnesota and Chicago look to be in the mix as well, as does Detroit.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 06:50
    Go Dodgers! 🙂

Oh, wait... they kicked the champion's butt, didn't they?

Wooo hoooo 😵
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 09:49
    Originally posted by shortcircuit

I believe all of the smart money is on Philadelphia who possess the best pitching in the league.
    The Giants are al ...[text shortened]... Nolan Ryan at the helm.
    Blah, blah, blah.

The Reds win it all this year!!

As for pitching, we don't need no stinking pitching!!

😵
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 14:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Blah, blah, blah.

The Reds win it all this year!!

As for pitching, we don't need no stinking pitching!!

😵
    Whodey's predictions for 2010-2011

1. Ohio State will win National championship in football. Did it happen?.....NO

2. Ohio State will win National Championship in Basketball. Did it happen?...NO

3. Cincinnati Reds win World Series in baseball. Will it happen?..See answers to 1 and 2 above
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 14:571 edit
    Whodey's predictions for 2010-2011

1. Ohio State will win National championship in football. Did it happen?.....[b]NO

2. Ohio State will win National Championship in Basketball. Did it happen?...NO

3. Cincinnati Reds win World Series in baseball. Will it happen?..See answers to 1 and 2 above[/b]
    Lies. I did not say which year did I? 😛

This is the first time I predicted the year.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 15:061 edit

Are you joking?? The Reds pitching is far deeper than either the Brewers or the Cards - they have 6 starters who have pitched effectively in the bigs, a capable closer and a bevy of relief pitchers who have had excellent success including one who throws, oh 105 MPH. The Cards' starting rotation was suspect before Wainwright went down and the Brewers' pitching was awful last year. Greinke when he's healthy will help, but I seriously doubt the Milwaukee team ERA will be better than the Reds this year.

EDIT: Milwaukee's team ERA in 2010 was 4.58 which was not only 14th in the NL but was .40 worse than the 13th best! Greinke and Marcum alone aren't going to change that.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 15:581 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Are you joking?? The Reds pitching is far deeper than either the Brewers or the Cards - they have 6 starters who have pitched effectively in the bigs, a capable closer and a bevy of relief pitchers who have had excellent success including one who throws, oh 105 MPH. The Cards' starting rotation was suspect before Wainwright went down and the Brewers' pit but was .40 worse than the 13th best! Greinke and Marcum alone aren't going to change that.
    The velocity that a baseball is hurled is of no consequence if the pitcher can't get it over the plate consistently, with movement.
    If he can, then he will be tough.
    I can cite many cases where high octane and no location equals quick departure.

As far as the pitching goes, yes, Wainwright will be a tough replacement, but Dave Duncan is the best pitching coach in baseball, bar none.
    Tony LaRussa is one of the top 3 managers in the game.
    Those two have produced more with less for years, so I let their track record speak.
    I believe the Brewers pitching will be considerably better as well.
    I am also basing my projection about the youth of the Reds and the slumps they will most certainly endure as their deficiencies are discovered by the opposition.
    I did not rule out them winning their division, I said I didn't think it would happen.

I also said the Reds pitching does not compare to the pitching of the Phillies or the Giants.
    This is why I said emphatically that they will not make it to the World Series, IMO.

Now, I don't like any of the teams I just spoke about, so I am unbiased when speaking about them.
    You and whodey are over zealous in your defense of them, because you want to see them win.

It is a long season. Who knows, maybe the Astros will learn how the game is played again with their youth.
    I like Brad Mills approach and his staff is doing a pretty good job.
    I just feel there are too many questions that have to be answered before they are contenders.
    Losing Jason Castro for the season hurt, and losing Barmes for 6 weeks didn't help either.
    Whether he rebounds this season is a big question.
    Whether Bill Hall can be a productive everyday second baseman is another question.
    If Brett Wallace continues to develop at 1B, and if Chris Johnson continues to perform at the level he has, those two will be very good.
    Hunter Pence and Carlos Lee are both known quantities.
    The pitching is loaded with question marks however.

I guess that is why the trot out 162 times and play the games...right?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 16:53
    The velocity that a baseball is hurled is of no consequence if the pitcher can't get it over the plate consistently, with movement.
    If he can, then he will be tough.
    I can cite many cases where high octane and no location equals quick departure.

As far as the pitching goes, yes, Wainwright will be a tough replacement, but Dave Duncan is the best pi ...[text shortened]... ion marks however.

I guess that is why the trot out 162 times and play the games...right?
    St. Louis' "track record" last year was Place. I think they are weaker this year plus they have the Pujols' distraction looming. I would be very surprised if they finish ahead of the Reds and wouldn't rule out a sub .500 year. I don't think Milwaukee has enough pitching even with Greinke and their lineup took a hit when they traded Cain and Escobar for him (leaving them with weaker offensive players at both positions). To be honest, I'm more worried about the Cubs then either one of those two teams.

Youth is an asset not a negative; the Reds aren't relying on rookies but on young players who have significant major league experience and success.

Biased or not, I'm the only one on this board who said the Reds would contend last year (whodey didn't).
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 16:59

The loss of Wainwright is a crippling blow for the Cards. He was a reliable workhorse who could be counted on to be among the NL best. If he were healthy, I'd pick the Cards to win the division. As it is, I guess I'd have to go with the Reds to repeat, though that division is so screwy that anything could happen.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 22:39
    Originally posted by sh76
    The loss of Wainwright is a crippling blow for the Cards. He was a reliable workhorse who could be counted on to be among the NL best. If he were healthy, I'd pick the Cards to win the division. As it is, I guess I'd have to go with the Reds to repeat, though that division is so screwy that anything could happen.
    Not anything; the Pirates ain't gonna win it.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 11:05
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Go Dodgers! 🙂

Oh, wait... they kicked the champion's butt, didn't they?

Wooo hoooo 😵
    Los Angeles represent!
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 14:31
    Originally posted by ventje69
    fc groningen will win!!!!!!!!!
    I wouldn't, alas (my family being from that province), count on it. Against Venlo, yah. Getting any further? Not likely, they have no staying power.

Still, as long as they end up above Heerenveen, all is well, right?

Richard
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 23:28
    [b]I don't believe the Reds will win their division, much less the NL pennant.
    Three straight wins to begin the season. They have not had a start this good in the last 20 years except for 3 other times.

Hmmm. It's still not too late for you to recant and repent of your sinful doubt and unbelief.

It's wire to wire baby!!! 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree