1. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 20:30
    I think the drugs thing is impossible to clamp down on, across all sportsm, but that's a whole thread in debates if we get started!

I'd prefer drug free racing, but te finger of suspicion is pointed each time someone does well.

No-one could match the chicken or contador today, tomorrow will be very interesting - as might they both pay for their efforts?

There's plenty more twists in the race yet. I notice Vino came home a good 25mins down - he'll make a good domestique for Kloden though 😛
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 23:31
    Originally posted by Cityblue
    With all the happenings over the history of pro cycling, whoever is winning will be considered suspect......

I for one, hope that the drugs culture in cycling can somehow be broken, but it's difficult - especially when you see people like David Millar being allowed to race again after admitting cheating - IMO anyone caught should be banned for life.

I ...[text shortened]... see how they cope on the more difficult stage tomorrow!!!

I'd like Kloden to win in now....
    I think the drugs thing is not going to be fixed. Some athletes are always going to be looking for the next undetectable substance.
    I think the solution is to not ban any.
    Let them all take the drugs - that will surely level the playing field.
  3. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 23:50
    Originally posted by amannion
    I think the drugs thing is not going to be fixed. Some athletes are always going to be looking for the next undetectable substance.
    The problem that approach takes is that amateur cyclists may turn to drugs also to keep up - how far down the sport would it be acceptable to let it go? Jr races at the local club perhaps? the sport must try to remain drug free, and accept the bad publicity that comes with outing the cheats. If you allow drugs you might aswell also allow small motors on the bikes to help them go faster too. 😕
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 23:51
    The problem that approach takes is that amateur cyclists may turn to drugs also to keep up - how far down the sport would it be acceptable to let it go? Jr races at the local club perhaps? the sport must try to remain drug free, and accept the bad publicity that comes with outing the cheats. If you allow drugs you might aswell also allow small motors on the bikes to help them go faster too. 😕
  5. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 23:52
  6. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 23:52
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 23:59
    Stupid internet. 😠
  8. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 00:00
    Stupid internet. 😠
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 00:46
    Originally posted by rhb
    Not sure how the small motors idea works. Wouldn't that be a different sport?
    Perhaps you could run two different classes of any competition. Imagine all riders in the tour competing together but having a drugs class and a drugs free class. There could be two yellow jerseys.
    This might work in the same way as Formula 1 has two classes in the 1980s - turbo charged and normally aspirated.
    To enter in the drugs free class you would have to go through a stringent testing process. The drugs free class might well gain some prestige and encourage others to enter. Or it might not.
    I can't see how this could be any worse than people sneaking around trying to beat the system.
  10. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 09:42
    Not sure how the small motors idea works. Wouldn't that be a different sport?
    Perhaps you could run two different classes of any competition. Imagine all riders in the tour competing together but having a drugs class and a drugs free class. There could be two yellow jerseys.
    This might work in the same way as Formula 1 has two classes in the 1980s - turbo ...[text shortened]... I can't see how this could be any worse than people sneaking around trying to beat the system.
    the only difference small motors would be a mechanical aid, rather than a chemical one. The former would be more visisble, but both would fundamentally change the sport.

Two different classes wouldn't work. You'd still get people trying to beat the "clean system" to gain an advantage in it. Testing is already "stringent" - much more so than other sports, but the dopers are one step ahead of the game. The testers can only test for what they know exists, not what is now being developed in dodgy labs.

Whilst your example is good, they don't continue to run two classes in F1 - I can only assume this was as it wasn't viable.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 10:22
    aaauuuuu off today, 6 hours of the tour 😛

off tomorrow as well then working 5 days in a row 😠
  12. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 10:35
    Originally posted by trevor33
    aaauuuuu off today, 6 hours of the tour 😛

off tomorrow as well then working 5 days in a row 😠
    tomorrow is a rest day.... you must be gutted!

Today will be good though. Should see if Rasmussen or Contador will crack, or if one of the other riders will have a Landis-like resurgence and blitz it.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 10:45
    Originally posted by rhb
    tomorrow is a rest day.... you must be gutted!

Today will be good though. Should see if Rasmussen or Contador will crack, or if one of the other riders will have a Landis-like resurgence and blitz it.
    i know, i was off on the last rest day as well, i don't think they like me at work.

contador has surprised me, i knew he was a good climber but i didn't think he could preform that well over all so early in his career. today will be interesting for them though after yesterday.

i really hope evens doesn't win it, i know theres a good chance as hes the best time trailest left of the contenders but hes so negative in the mountains. like yesterday why didn't he attack when rasmussen, solar and contador where playing cat and mouse? everyone knows he like a steady pace up the mountains, he should have just put his head down and went for it.

duffers tip for the day *david miller* why is he sitting in the studio?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 14:32
    vinooooooooooooooooo 😲
  15. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 14:51
    Originally posted by trevor33
    vinooooooooooooooooo 😲
    Too little too late. Might have been different if he'd not crashed at the start of the tour.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree