Is This The Year?

Is This The Year?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

Moves
29 Aug 08

Is this the year the Cubs finally win a world series. They improved to 85-50 this afternoon and have won 7 straight now. This is their best season since 1945 and they look unstoppable. They are top 5 in hitting and pitching, so what do ya'll think? Can they win the big one?

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
29 Aug 08

Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
Is this the year the Cubs finally win a world series. They improved to 85-50 this afternoon and have won 7 straight now. This is their best season since 1945 and they look unstoppable. They are top 5 in hitting and pitching, so what do ya'll think? Can they win the big one?
No. AL will win. Angels, Rays and Red Sox could all handle the cubs easily, especially the first two.

J

Moves
29 Aug 08

Originally posted by GalaxyShield
No. AL will win. Angels, Rays and Red Sox could all handle the cubs easily, especially the first two.
I hardly doubt that the Red Sox or Rays could handle the Cubs. I think the Angels are the only team with a chance and even they are dropping off the radar of late. Rays will win their division but inexperience will not allow them to go far in the playoffs.

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
29 Aug 08
2 edits

I hardly doubt that the Red Sox or Rays could handle the Cubs. I think the Angels are the only team with a chance and even they are dropping off the radar of late. Rays will win their division but inexperience will not allow them to go far in the playoffs.
Both the Red Sox and Rays have better pitching than anything you'll see in the NL Central, other than Sabathia. This will largely neutralize their hitting. Plus the AL has the DH, which will make it harder on your pitching.

Your current Cubs' team isn't exactly playoff proven themselves, after getting swept last year by a team that couldn't score runs. 🙄

Experience says the Rays shouldn't win their division, but if they do, I think they have a good shot at going deep (they're much better than the Brewers of last year who fell apart and let you in). Remember the Marlins coming out of no where to win the WS (who ironically knocked your Cubs out), even without winning their division (or did they? either way...)?.

The Rays are still hanging on despite being injured, and they're beating top level teams. They're pitching isn't slowing signs of showing down, and if they get healthy in time for the playoffs, who knows what will happen.

Edit: By the way, during inter league play this year, the Rays swept a 3-game set over the Cubs, including a win over Zambrano. 😛

i

Moves
29 Aug 08

in 2001, the mariners were 1st in hitting, pitching and fielding (the only team to do that) and still didnt even make the world series. weve still got to wait until the post season to find out what the cubbies have in them

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
30 Aug 08

They were given that game on 2 atrocious calls.

DR

Moves
30 Aug 08

Destiny.

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
31 Aug 08

Also: The Cubs only have a 1 game lead in the overall standings over the Rays, which is substantial considering the Rays play in a far, far tougher league and division.

Again, the Rays swept the Cubs earlier in the year. 😛

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
31 Aug 08
1 edit

Astros are playing tough now. Let's see how the Cubs fare against Houston. I do think it would be ironic though if the team Lou Piniella left met up against the team he left them for. I think that is unlikely since I don't really see the Rays coming out of the AL, but stranger things have happened. I like the experience of the Angels and the Bo Sox, but I am not yet ready to count out the Twins or the White Sox and they also have plenty of experience.

The Cubs might get there out of the NL, although, whoever wins the east could be their stiffest competition, and Arizona would be the darlings of the dance and have alot of talent if they can regain their composure and start winning some games.

l

Moves
01 Sep 08

yeah, listen buddy just stick to chess

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
01 Sep 08

I thought this was about Liverpool.

s

6yd box

Moves
01 Sep 08

Originally posted by Palynka
I thought this was about Liverpool.
LOL.....

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
01 Sep 08

Originally posted by lapidus
yeah, listen buddy just stick to chess
It appears I know more about both topics than you, now doesn't it?

Cubs lose 3-0, at home, to Houston. Have a nice day!!

DR

Moves
02 Sep 08

Originally posted by shortcircuit
It appears I know more about both topics than you, now doesn't it?

Cubs lose 3-0, at home, to Houston. Have a nice day!!
Oswalt and Marquis both pitched well.

Go Cubs.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
03 Sep 08

Two in a row for the Astros. Brew crew loses too!!! Sphincters tightening?