is mclaren to blame for england?

is mclaren to blame for england?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
18 Nov 07

I think you have to take into account the fact that most English Premiership players in that squad would much rather play in a CL group game than Euro qualifiers.
Years ago I would have agreed with you, but the pride isn't there these days.
Money talks, apparently.

s

6yd box

Moves
19 Nov 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
[b]Is this post a joke?

Alex Ferguson has always had an English backbone to his teams. Do you not remember the time he gave the Nevilles, Scholes, Butt, Beckham, Brown, Fletcher, O'Shea, Eagles, Giggs, Simpson their debuts?
LOL!!!
Fletcher playes for scotland
O'Shea plays for the Rep.Ireland
Giggs plays for Wales

is Eagles English?
not sure about simpson!!!

s

Moves
19 Nov 07

Is this post a joke?

Alex Ferguson has always had an English backbone to his teams. Do you not remember the time he gave the Nevilles, Scholes, Butt, Beckham, Brown, Fletcher, O'Shea, Eagles, Giggs, Simpson their debuts?

Do you remember the times he overpaid to retain an english backbone? Ferdinand, Carrick, Smith, David May, etc, etc? He's broken ...[text shortened]... re and more kids are watching tv, playing computer games, and eating crap food.

D
I agree with most of this text apart from Sheringham,scoring a goal in a European cup final is making the grade in my book,However I feel there is going to be some pretty humbl pie eaten by most of the posters when England win it under the Mighty Mac

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
19 Nov 07
3 edits

Originally posted by spurs73
LOL!!!
Giggs plays for Wales

is Eagles English?
Robson, Bruce, Pallister, Ince, Parker

Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Sherringham, G Neville, May, P Neville, A Cole

Rooney, Scholes, Ferdinand, G Neville, Carrick, Brown, Foster, Simpson, Eagles
- Also Fletcher, Giggs, o'Shea aren't exactly foreign

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
19 Nov 07

Originally posted by eatmybishop
rubbish! how come we havent won the world cup since 66 then????
What's rubbish? So you agree with InlandRevenue that England are relatively unsuccessful because of the Top 4 clubs?

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
19 Nov 07

well look at man u record then.... do you understand anything about football? who would you put in charge then.... barnes?
Maybe I should have been more specific in my quote.
"i think if anything could pull him away from man u it would be this offer"

LOL! Yeah right!

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
19 Nov 07

Originally posted by smartrrrrs
I agree with most of this text apart from Sheringham,scoring a goal in a European cup final is making the grade in my book,However I feel there is going to be some pretty humbl pie eaten by most of the posters when England win it under the Mighty Mac
I had a few different sections...
-Overpriced English players,
-record breaking transfers,
-players nurtured through the youth system,
-other english players,
-and those who never made the grade.

Sheringham wasn't included in the final group, but I can see how you thought that I said he hadn't made the grade.

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
19 Nov 07

Originally posted by spurs73
LOL!!!
Giggs plays for Wales

is Eagles English?
I thought I had myself covered when I said later..."He's broken all kinds of transfer records to sign British and Irish players"

Fact is any of the 3 could have played for England as they hadn't made their international debuts when Ferguson gave them their first game.

Also, nurturing home based players isn't exactly "This means that they will rarely give young British players a chance, favouring foreign stars "

Of course, why pay attention to the main point, when you can scoff at a minor oversight? Well done on being a stereotypical Spurs fan.

Do you blame the top 4 clubs in the premiership for England's lack of trophies? It wouldn't surprise me if you did, to be honest.

D

J

Cavan, Ireland

Moves
19 Nov 07

unless russia slip up, england won't qualify for the european cup. if this happens all the papers will be gunning for mclaren's resignation, but is he really to blame for this mess... two reasons why he isnt...

eriksson and robinson...

eriksson left the team in a mess and robinson's howlers have not done us any favours. also, lets not forget, before mclaren took over how well did england do in the world cup???
i don't blame anyone, i think it's great that england have the best players in the world but were still relying on israel to beat russia to stay in contention to get into the european championship

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
19 Nov 07

Is this the same as saying the moon is made of cheese, Rag?

AB

Moves
19 Nov 07

Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
Also Fletcher, Giggs, o'Shea aren't exactly foreign
Give us a laugh - define "foreign"

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
19 Nov 07

Originally posted by Angry Boy
Give us a laugh - define "foreign"
In the context of InlandRevenue's original post...
"This means that they will rarely give young British players a chance, favouring foreign stars instead (Only outstanding players will get a chance)"

Would Fletcher and Giggs be
A) "young British players"
or
B) "foreign stars"?

Thanks in advance,

D

e

Moves
19 Nov 07

What's rubbish? So you agree with InlandRevenue that England are relatively unsuccessful because of the Top 4 clubs?

D
dont you think there is some truth in it..? afterall, the majority of those four clubs play foreign players....

s

6yd box

Moves
19 Nov 07

Do you blame the top 4 clubs in the premiership for England's lack of trophies? It wouldn't surprise me if you did, to be honest.

D[/b]
I agree with JOHN1916

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
19 Nov 07

dont you think there is some truth in it..? afterall, the majority of those four clubs play foreign players....
No.

Only Arsenal have shown a complete disregard of the perceived need to have an English spine to the team.

I've listed all the English players United have bought in the past few years. There are obviously more that wouldn't come, like Shearer. I bet you've slagged Ferguson for paying over the odds for the likes of Ferdinand, Carrick, et al in the past but still you try to blame him for not supporting English talent.

Chelsea have Terry, A Cole, Bridge, Lampard, J. Cole.

Liverpool have Carragher, Gerrard, Pennant, Crouch.

But surely, players have to be good enough before they can make it into the top 4? If the Top 4 don't buy English as you say, then what about the next 16 teams? I'd honestly be surprised if many (4-5)teams had more english squad players than United.

It's a terribll inaccurate point and takes the focus off the real problems and onto jealousy inspired digs.

If you want to find a real factor in English underachievement, you only have to look at the unrealistic expectations of the populous, generated by a sensationalist media.

D