fifa does it again - world cup seedings

fifa does it again - world cup seedings

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
02 Dec 09

pot 1 no problems, host nation and don't think anyone will complain about the other 7 seeded sides.

that's were it ends though, i'm not sure about you but i want to see the best 16 teams in the next round with the next 3 pots that's not possible. you've got the 14th and 15th best teams in pot 2, 11th and 16th best teams in pot 3 and the current 5th and 7th (who were 9th and 10th before the playoffs) in pot 4. it's a complete joke. surely the whole tournament should be seeded the same way that pot 1 was.

possible 'group of death' - spain, portugal, côte d'ivoire, usa.

group of the lightweight no hoppers - south africa, north korea, chile, slov(take your pick from the two)

another possible pansy group - argentina, new zealand, algeria, slov(the other one)

and by some freak of nature (aka fifa rules) these two groups end up playing each playing each other in the second round. two crap teams in the quarter final while some of the top teams struggle.

for an african world cup they sure have screwed the african teams.

what a joke.

m

Moves
02 Dec 09
1 edit

Only the top 8 are seeded, the other pots are geographical to avoid having too many teams from the same continent in any single group.

So Pot 2 is Europe, Pot 3 is Africa and South America, and Pot 4 is the rest.

Seems fair to me. As usual there will be some groups stronger than others, but I don't see why that is particularly bad for African teams.

Moves
02 Dec 09

Originally posted by mtthw
Only the top 8 are seeded, the other pots are geographical to avoid having too many teams from the same continent in any single group.

So Pot 2 is Europe, Pot 3 is Africa and South America, and Pot 4 is the rest.

Seems fair to me. As usual there will be some groups stronger than others, but I don't see why that is particularly bad for African teams.
explain how it is fair, i seriously fail to see how potentially putting the 1st, 5th, 11th and 14th best teams in the world by the fifa rankings in the same group fair.

m

Moves
02 Dec 09

Originally posted by trev33
explain how it is fair, i seriously fail to see how potentially putting the 1st, 5th, 11th and 14th best teams in the world by the fifa rankings in the same group fair.
It's a World Cup. Nobody wants a group with 4 European teams in it, which would be entirely possible using the rankings alone.

Anyway, you're getting confused between "fair" and "even". The FA cup is fair, but the best two teams can play in the 3rd round. It (probably) won't be even, but since it's a random draw then it's still fair.

m

Moves
02 Dec 09

I should add - it's the same principle that means Europe gets 14 teams in the finals, instead of the 19 teams it would deserve based on the FIFA rankings.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
02 Dec 09

Hey, WTF?!?!?!

I just checked the seedings and the teams and... and... a... OMG!!1!

WHERE THE HELL IS IRELAND?!?!?! 😠

*giggles*

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
02 Dec 09

pot 1 no problems, host nation and don't think anyone will complain about the other 7 seeded sides.

that's were it ends though, i'm not sure about you but i want to see the best 16 teams in the next round with the next 3 pots that's not possible. you've got the 14th and 15th best teams in pot 2, 11th and 16th best teams in pot 3 and the current 5th and 7t ...[text shortened]...

for an african world cup they sure have screwed the african teams.

what a joke.
I like the seeds of pots 2-4 being about geography. It adds to the diversity of the group games.

I still don't understand why England is in pot 1, but that's another issue.

m

Moves
02 Dec 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
I still don't understand why England is in pot 1, but that's another issue.
Because they were ranked 7 by FIFA at the cut-off point they decided to use. Simple 🙂

I do wish FIFA would announce their seeding methods well in advance, though. There's always a suspicion (go on then, more than a suspicion) that they'll use whatever plausible method they can come up with to give the result they want.

Moves
02 Dec 09

I do wish FIFA would announce their seeding methods well in advance.
why? they'll just end up changing it to suit their favored teams.

you mention the fa cup as comparison, i would rather see the whole world cup seeded or no seedings at all. why seed the 'top 8' teams and leave the rest to hope they avoid a tough group?

i don't see why there can't be two south american or african teams in the same group.

i'm sure they'd be able to seed each pot and prevent more than 2 nations from the same continent being in the same group.

m

Moves
02 Dec 09

why? they'll just end up changing it to suit their favored teams.
That's what I mean - announce it and stick with it.

m

Moves
02 Dec 09

i don't see why there can't be two south american or african teams in the same group.
And I don't see why there can't be the 14th and 15th best team in the same group. They made a decision, and you can see why they made it. You can disagree that it's the best way, but that doesn't make it unfair.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
02 Dec 09

What do you mean?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
02 Dec 09

I do wish FIFA would announce their seeding methods well in advance, though. There's always a suspicion (go on then, more than a suspicion) that they'll use whatever plausible method they can come up with to give the result they want.
I'm just bitter we didn't make the cut to top seeds. 😛

Moves
02 Dec 09

Originally posted by Palynka
What do you mean?
the way they've done the pots is to prevent two teams from the same continent other than europe from playing each other in the group phase. when s. africa is drawn out they'll use the same system the cl uses to prevent clubs from playing each other in the group phase, all the other african teams in pot 3 will be put aside and s. africa will play one of the south american teams. same goes for brazil and argentina with the other south american teams.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
02 Dec 09

the way they've done the pots is to prevent two teams from the same continent other than europe from playing each other in the group phase. when s. africa is drawn out they'll use the same system the cl uses to prevent clubs from playing each other in the group phase, all the other african teams in pot 3 will be put aside and s. africa will play one of the south american teams. same goes for brazil and argentina with the other south american teams.
I agree. That's ridiculous.