Cricket World Cup

Cricket World Cup

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
05 Mar 11

So who thinks the "minnows" should be out of the next world cup?

Any predictions between Aus v S Lanka?

I'm predicting another high scoring match. Ausies by 2 wickets.

m

Moves
05 Mar 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
As far as I can tell, the ICC and nobody else. Hopefully Ireland's performance will make them reconsider - though it would help things if one of the other none-Test countries could look competitive as well (and against someone other than England 🙂).

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
05 Mar 11

Originally posted by mtthw
As far as I can tell, the ICC and nobody else. Hopefully Ireland's performance will make them reconsider - though it would help things if one of the other none-Test countries could look competitive as well (and against someone other than England 🙂).
Yeah, I can understand the financial strains having these guys there may put on the competition (especially if they take out the likes of India and Pakistan), but NOT having them there would take out so much out of the competition.

How can the organization tasked with GROWING the bloody game around the world decide to not have these "minnows" there in future? Where is a petition we can sign?

Moves
05 Mar 11

England. Our guys gave them thoroughly brown flannels, even though they won that game - and then Ireland showed us how it's really done and only went and beat the Limeys. So, yes, of course the English would very much like to see the minnows out of the cup, and if possible out of the game entirely. Have I mentioned that the English reputation for sportingness is greatly exaggerated? If so, I lied. It's not exaggerated, it's a complete myth (see also: Henman Hill).

Everybody else, of course, realises that if you want the popularity of cricket to spread, having the minnows in the world cup is exactly what you want.

Richard

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
06 Mar 11
2 edits

In a parrellel iniverse, where it was not raining, my prediction came true 😛

Why doesn't some business guy offer Mike Hussey (or some one like that) to play for Canada or the Netherlands? whats the go with that?
I'm sure Huss would like to keep going for another five years and the aussie selectors seem to have an aged-based policy 😛

There's heaps of good shield players over here making a pitance. Why dont they play for one of the minnows?

After all, all white aussies have european heritage.
Whats the go with the Austrian team? Not good enough for the world cup?

m

Moves
06 Mar 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
of course the English would very much like to see the minnows out of the cup
Nice theory. Shame it's not true. All the media over here, and every cricket fan I've spoken to, have been critical about the decision.

m

Moves
06 Mar 11

Good job England are in this world cup, isn't it? Every game they have is exciting, and almost all the other matches are one-sided.

🙂

Moves
06 Mar 11

Originally posted by mtthw
Nice theory. Shame it's not true. All the media over here, and every cricket fan I've spoken to, have been critical about the decision.
Have they? That's good, and I commend them and you for it. Even so, the only non-officials I've heard speak for it were English. If they're a minority even there, so much then better, but then I don't see why anyone is taking this idea seriously at all.

Richard

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
08 Mar 11
1 edit

Whoah! BIG hitting by the Black Caps.
100 runs off 29 balls in the last 5 overs, jeez. The Pakistanis totally lost the plot when the pressure was put on them.

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
09 Mar 11

Ross Taylor belted 131 not out on his birthday. Blackcaps looking good for the quarters. Australia could be out on run average after that rain abandoned match.

skeets

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Mar 11

Originally posted by skeeter
Ross Taylor belted 131 not out on his birthday. Blackcaps looking good for the quarters. Australia could be out on run average after that rain abandoned match.

skeets
WTF? he should've been caught by the keeper, Akhmal, twice.

I just saw the footage.
It just had to be Pakistan, didin't it 😕

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
09 Mar 11

WTF? he should've been caught by the keeper, Akhmal, twice.

I just saw the footage.
It just had to be Pakistan, didin't it 😕
Not to mention the 2x4 run overthrows. Pakistan really lost the plot when the pressure came on. All good for the Blackcaps tho.

skeets

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Mar 11

Not to mention the 2x4 run overthrows. Pakistan really lost the plot when the pressure came on. All good for the Blackcaps tho.

skeets
Whats the aussie team doing over there, dwiddling thumbs? there is no substitute for real match practice (and Mike Hussey😀 )
So after they had that game against Sri Lanka rained out it seems they have got an awful lot of time on their hands.
Lucky its not one of the NRL teams, they'd be in the slammer by now😀

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
10 Mar 11

Australia could be out on run average after that rain abandoned match.

skeets
Unlikely, as they'd have to lose to Pakistan and Canada for that to be a possibility.

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
10 Mar 11

The loss to Pakistan is a foregone conclusion - they're be still stinging after we demolished them and the Aussies will cop the backlash. Canada is capable of anything and the Aussies don't play well in 'must win' situations.

Bet that they (Australia) don't make the quarters

skeets