Cricket: Should batsmen walk?

Cricket: Should batsmen walk?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
11 Jan 08

Originally posted by AussieG
Yes, I think they would.

How can you define that a player "knows"?? (as you previously mentioned) In the height of a sporting battle, and especially at the elite/professional level, players are very intense, driven, focused and possess a very strong desire to win. Not to mention the stakes at hand. Given all this, when there's a chance, or half a chance, ...[text shortened]...

So yes, there could be many appeals being referred thus slowing the game down.
Well, that's your opinion. I think the players are professional enough not to try and abuse a system like that.
If you're that pessimistic about it, you can always give the fielding team a limited amount of appeal referrals - say 5. If the batsman was actually out, the appeal is not decremented, otherwise if the umpire's decision was correct, the amount of appeals is decremented by one.

What I mean by "The fielding side KNOWS a batsman is out" is, sometimes a fielder close to the bat hears a nick the umpire doesn't etc.
Those should be referred.

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
12 Jan 08

Originally posted by Crowley
Exactly. Overall they get 90% decisions right, this why my suggestions won't slow the game down PLUS there will be no more controversy.
It's win win.

Do you really believe that professional, international cricket sides will abuse a system like that? I don't think so.
The sub continent teams would,as they have before.

s

6yd box

Moves
12 Jan 08

Originally posted by boarman
what rubbish..so the sub-continent teams all abuse the laws of cricket and the other countires dont.

for sub-continent read BROWN
for the rest read WHITE

why dont you just come out and say it

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
12 Jan 08

I took you to mean Australia. Australia, thinks it is a continenent but actually it is a country - therefore it is sub-continent.

IM
Primal Primate

holiest of holies

Moves
12 Jan 08

Originally posted by invigorate
I took you to mean Australia. Australia, thinks it is a continenent but actually it is a country - therefore it is sub-continent.
no, it's a continent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continents

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
13 Jan 08

Limit the amount of referral appeals then, like I've said.
I will concede that some people will appeal now, because they hope the umpire will make a mistake, but this is the wrong mindset.
If a system is in place to make sure accurate decisions are made, teams will only appeal when they believe there is a chance.

I'm sure of it.