Champions League Draw

Champions League Draw

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
11 Mar 09

Originally posted by trev33
i think real will beat liverpool wish
wishful thinking on my part again 😵

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 09

More than six hours to go and already I can't think of anything else. 😕

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
11 Mar 09

I was three for four on yesterday's picks, but I'll gladly take one for four today and be labelled a football moron if that one is Arsenal.

Moves
11 Mar 09

Originally posted by Fleabitten
I was three for four on yesterday's picks, but I'll gladly take one for four today and be labelled a football moron if that one is Arsenal.
i'll be happy to be wrong on all my picks tonight 😉

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 09

We had the same picks except for Arsenal-Roma. 🙂

If all 4 PL teams go through, it's a sad state of affairs for the CL in my opinion. It's not good (in my view) that any one country dominates so much for two years in a row and possibly more...

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
11 Mar 09

Originally posted by Palynka
If all 4 PL teams go through, it's a sad state of affairs for the CL in my opinion. It's not good (in my view) that any one country dominates so much for two years in a row and possibly more...
Despite my liking for English football, I'll agree with this to a point.

I could use some education here, though. Are there any rules that prevent teams from the same league meeting one another in the first knockout stage?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 09

Despite my liking for English football, I'll agree with this to a point.

I could use some education here, though. Are there any rules that prevent teams from the same league meeting one another in the first knockout stage?
Yes, they can't meet teams from the same league or from the same group in the group stages.

Moves
11 Mar 09

Yes, they can't meet teams from the same league or from the same group in the group stages.
which is a joke. it should be an open seeded draw. no same country match ups until the last 8 is madness with the current dominance of england.

i agree with your point on that btw but i still feel that inter will dump utd out tonight with a last min goal a la porto. my only peeve about alex is the performance of utd in europe over the years, 2 CL titles both won by luck just isn't good enough.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 09
1 edit

Originally posted by trev33
i agree with your point on that btw but i still feel that inter will dump utd out tonight with a last min goal a la porto. my only peeve about alex is the performance of utd in europe over the years, 2 CL titles both won by luck just isn't good enough.
Winning the CL requires both quality AND luck. How many coaches have more European titles than Sir Alex? It's a tough, tough competition.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
11 Mar 09

Thanks, Palynka. I can understand teams from the same group not meeting. But what would be the rationale for teams from the same league?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 09

Thanks, Palynka. I can understand teams from the same group not meeting. But what would be the rationale for teams from the same league?
I think the idea was to minimize the games between same league teams. If, say, the three top leagues are balanced then the first team of one league is likely to beat the second, third or fourth of the other league and so on.

With hindsight, it looks a bit silly now.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 09

More than six hours to go and already I can't think of anything else. 😕
Top 8!