Canada lost the semifinals against Sweden

Canada lost the semifinals against Sweden

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 May 08

Originally posted by wormwood
still, it's always possible that russia somehow gets really fired up and plays their best game in the final. I mean, it's not like they lack the skill. but I have hard time believing they can put up a good fight today... against finland they hardly got out of their end, but the few times they did, they scored.

I hope I'm wrong though and we'll have a great game today.
can vs. rus 0-1

russia started very strong, looks like it's gonna be a great game!

i

Moves
18 May 08

still, it's always possible that russia somehow gets really fired up and plays their best game in the final. I mean, it's not like they lack the skill. but I have hard time believing they can put up a good fight today... against finland they hardly got out of their end, but the few times they did, they scored.

I hope I'm wrong though and we'll have a great game today.
Have to disagree about Russia's previous games. They are undefeated just as Canada is and they beat Chech Republic, Sweden and Finland along the way (among others). The change of tactics in the Finland's game was deliberate. After they lost in the last year's semifinal Worlds in Moscow against Finland, they took away Finland's counterattacking strength by playing patiently themselves. It was a big surprise for Finns and worked well with the score of 4-0.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 May 08

Originally posted by infomast
Have to disagree about Russia's previous games. They are undefeated just as Canada is and they beat Chech Republic, Sweden and Finland along the way (among others). The change of tactics in the Finland's game was deliberate. After they lost in the last year's semifinal Worlds in Moscow against Finland, they took away Finland's counterattacking strength by p ...[text shortened]... patiently themselves. It was a big surprise for Finns and worked well with the score of 4-0.
yeah, it was a devastating strategy against us (finland has probably been the worst scoring team in the tournament, we simply can't get the puck in). but the norway game was the only one for russia where they won clearly, and even then norway scored 3 goals in the 3rd period. and to drive the point further, that wasn't against canada, usa, czech or any other hard opponent, it was against NORWAY! that's like having trouble against italia or japan.

fortunately for russia, they've finally started playing as they should have done all along. but it doesn't look like that's gonna be enough, and my prediction of 6-2 is well on the way at 4-2 after two periods.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 May 08

man that heatley is incredible. he's like the ronaldo of hockey. does absolutely nothing most of the time, but the first microsecond he touches the puck, it's in. I smell a deal with the devil, there's no other explanation. 🙂

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 May 08

russia won! 😲 for the second time ever!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
18 May 08

russia won! 😲 for the second time ever!
You got to give the Russians credit, losing 4-2 going into the 3rd, they dug deep and found a way to tie.

To bad it had to end in a power play in overtime. The Russians deserve full credit though for their hard fought game.

I would love to have seen these two teams play more games. This could be possibly my best game I watched of the whole tourney.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
18 May 08

Originally posted by Jigtie
I wouldn't say Sweden ran out of gas. All in all I believe Sweden had many more shots and opportunities, right. So they played a very good game. Bäckström in the Finnish goal along with a not so good Swedish defense is the two main reasons Sweden lost. But they played hard until the bitter end, so to say they ran out of gas is... well, did you even [b]watch the game? 😕[/b]
I sure did watch the game, we just have a difference of opinion.

J

Moves
18 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Very Rusty
I sure did watch the game, we just have a difference of opinion.
How can we have difference in opinon about facts? Sweden had more shots at the goal. Bäckström played excellent. And the Swedish defense was not the best ever. Those are facts, not my opinions.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=564924

Russia-Canada sure was an exciting game. Too bad I missed it. I heard bits on the radio though, and couldn't believe it when it went to sudden. That must have been a real thriller to watch. 😀

Feel bad for Canada, but great for Russia. Kovalchuk is pretty amazing, isn't he?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 May 08

You got to give the Russians credit, losing 4-2 going into the 3rd, they dug deep and found a way to tie.

To bad it had to end in a power play in overtime. The Russians deserve full credit though for their hard fought game.

I would love to have seen these two teams play more games. This could be possibly my best game I watched of the whole tourney.
I fully agree.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
18 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Jigtie
How can we have difference in opinon about facts? Sweden had more shots at the goal. Bäckström played excellent. And the Swedish defense was not the best ever. Those are facts, not my opinions.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=564924

Russia-Canada sure was an exciting game. Too bad I missed it. I heard bits on the radio though, and couldn't be ...[text shortened]... watch. 😀

Feel bad for Canada, but great for Russia. Kovalchuk is pretty amazing, isn't he?
You and I look at hockey differently, shots on goal do not always mean everything...It is the chances to actually score on those shots, that is most important.

You could have 60 shots on goal but mabe only 15 or 20 of them true scoring chances for example.

I find The Washington super star even more amazing than Kovalchuk, not to take anything away from Kovalchuk who is a superstar in his own right.

J

Moves
19 May 08

You could have 60 shots on goal but mabe only 15 or 20 of them true scoring chances for example.
This is true, and some of Sweden's attacks were lame, but I still think they fought hard, and I'm proud of them, so there! HA! 😛