Aussies back to No. 1!!

Aussies back to No. 1!!

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

Moves
18 Sep 09

WTF? I mean seriously, WTF? While it is nice to be number 1 - as we all strive to get to that position - but this is ridiculous! If the Aussies win the last one-dayer and beat England 7-0, they will go to the Champions Trophy as the number 1 team.

To me, this is insane. South Africa is the number 1 team followed by India IMHO. This ranking system seems to be flawed.. Hmm..

ZB

Moves
18 Sep 09

Being the number one side for One day internationals in no way eases the intense pain of our Ashes loss. I'm still in mourning.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
18 Sep 09
1 edit

The rankings aren't flawed, but they don't necessarily indicate current form accurately.

This is an inherent flaw in any sports ranking system.

s

6yd box

Moves
19 Sep 09

Originally posted by Crowley
The rankings aren't flawed, but they don't necessarily indicate current form accurately.

This is an inherent flaw in any sports ranking system.
good point- i remember the days (70s) when we never had any ranking systems and people were asking for one.

Now we have one and people are still moaning!

A

Moves
19 Sep 09

I'm not moaning about it - I reckon a ranking system is terrific and gives more meaning to playing these matches. I just found it interesting that the Aussies are at No. 1 - when really, South Africa are probably the best team around at the moment. But hey, I'll take it.. no complaints from me!

S

Moves
19 Sep 09

One day cricket should be nothing more than a fun interlude between test series. Ranking it is retarded and serves only to confuse the balance between the real game and the hybrid versions for the attention span deficient.

ZB

Moves
20 Sep 09

Originally posted by Starrman
One day cricket should be nothing more than a fun interlude between test series. Ranking it is retarded and serves only to confuse the balance between the real game and the hybrid versions for the attention span deficient.
I don't mind one day cricket but I must say nothing beats watching five days of test match cricket.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Sep 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Zort Boy
I don't mind one day cricket but I must say nothing beats watching five days of test match cricket.
Both forms of cricket have their place- even 20/20. I'm a huge cricket fan and love it all- still,I have to admit, even 7-0 will not make up for the poor showing in the ashes where the aussies lost it, rather than england winning it.
Anyway tha aussies only got 176 in the 6th game, so if they win this one maybe the rankings are a bit more justified.

ZB

Moves
20 Sep 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Both forms of cricket have their place- even 20/20. I'm a huge cricket fan and love it all- still,I have to admit, even 7-0 will not make up for the poor showing in the ashes where the aussies lost it, rather than england winning it.
Anyway tha aussies only got 176 in the 6th game, so if they win this one maybe the rankings are a bit more justified.
Yeah, listening on the ABC at the moment. Not a good effort on the Aussie's part but 6-1 is good considering our one day and T20 form of late.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Sep 09

Yeah, listening on the ABC at the moment. Not a good effort on the Aussie's part but 6-1 is good considering our one day and T20 form of late.
Geez the english batters are pretty crap though...
I wish australia had one experienced openner. Maybe Hussey?

ZB

Moves
21 Sep 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Geez the english batters are pretty crap though...
I wish australia had one experienced openner. Maybe Hussey?
Unlikely that Mike Hussey will open. Although he started his career as an opener for Western Australia he came into the Aussie one day side as a middle order batsman and the made his way into the test team as a middle order batsman.

Phillip Hughes and David Warner will eventually be the opeing partnership in all forms of the game for Australia.

A

Moves
21 Sep 09

Phillip Hughes and David Warner will eventually be the opeing partnership in all forms of the game for Australia.
I can't see both Phil Hughes and David Warner opening for Australia in all forms of the game - Phil Hughes possibly, but not Warner. Both are very aggressive batsmen which is great in 20/20 cricket and possibly one-day cricket.. but not test cricket - no way. I'd prefer a steadier player at the top of the order to anchor the innings - eg. Simon Katich - and Phil Hughes seems a good foil for him to get the innings ticking over.

ZB

Moves
21 Sep 09

His recent axing on the Ashes tour will cause Hughes to pull his head in a bit. Warner has the potential to be as good a batsman as Sanath Jayasuria, big call on my part but I believe it.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
21 Sep 09

Warner has the potential to be as good a batsman as Sanath Jayasuria, big call on my part but I believe it.
LOL!

A

Moves
21 Sep 09

His recent axing on the Ashes tour will cause Hughes to pull his head in a bit. Warner has the potential to be as good a batsman as Sanath Jayasuria, big call on my part but I believe it.
Hughes looks a very unlikely type and has a number of deficencies (eg. short ball) but 2 centuries in South Africa shows he's got potential. However, with Warner, I glad you can see some potential there.. as most others can't! VERY big call you made! The guy is a one-hit wonder. He got lucky one night but has failed miserably to produce the goods again. I hope you're right and he does flourish...