Arsenal

Arsenal

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Sep 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Sake
I love the underdogs getting a bigger team as well, but Greece........ no, after one or two lucky wins, it should have been over.

I don't know what happened with Adriaanse when he was the Porto coach and left overnight. Maybe he has a communication problem abroad? But believe me, he is a brilliant one. He brought a very very mediocre team to the Champions Le ...[text shortened]... ched with AZ Alkmaar the semi finals of The UEFA cup against Sporting with attractive football.
But he hasn't done anything right since Porto, though, and it has been a few years now... One thing that didn't work with him for us was that he had no ability to adapt to different ways of thinking. Porto has a relatively well defined club culture and managers must work within the bounds set by the upper management. Our business model depends on that, the revolving door of players is part of what the manager needs to be able to work with. He didn't seem to comprehend that or showed no willingness to be more flexible. I wonder if his lack of success in the clubs after that were also because of similar problems. He seemed to have some success in the Netherlands but never outside...

S

Utrecht

Moves
04 Sep 11

He had a major hand in the Austrian championship of Red Bull Salzburg 2009.
You may be right on him. Adriaanse is the kind of guy who wants to shape the whole club to his vision. Not only how the 1st team should play, but to achieve that the management be structured that way, the youth should be modelled to his vision towards the 1st team. He has an opinion what kind of players he needs to be succesfull. He wants the staff to follow him and buy the players he asks for. He prefers the ones who understand him, rather than the starplayers. He hates the stardom attitude.
Good for Porto they stick to their own. You can't let your work turned up side down for every coach you contract.
But this is exactly what you get when you bring in people like van Gaal or Adriaanse. You get them for the results and the attractive way of playing. That makes your brand grow, you get attention for the way the game is played. People, players want to be a part of that. When a club contracts them and then moan about the things they want, or how they act in front of the camera (van Gaal especially) you have a deaf and blind staff. They could and should have known.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Sep 11

Originally posted by Sake
He had a major hand in the Austrian championship of Red Bull Salzburg 2009.
You may be right on him. Adriaanse is the kind of guy who wants to shape the whole club to his vision. Not only how the 1st team should play, but to achieve that the management be structured that way, the youth should be modelled to his vision towards the 1st team. He has an opinion wh ...[text shortened]... camera (van Gaal especially) you have a deaf and blind staff. They could and should have known.
I guess, they should have known, but perhaps since it was his first time outside the Netherlands it wasn't that obvious... We played attacking football, but somewhat unbalanced (you'd like it! 😉 ). Good enough for our league (Sporting is Sporting, and Benfica prioritized the CL and failed miserably in the league), but we can't play 3-4-3 in the Champions League, it's suicide. Ending last of our CL group (with Rangers and Artmedia!) was a big blow, financially and sportingly. One of our worst European performances in latest years.

S

Utrecht

Moves
04 Sep 11

I did hope he would have been succesfull with Porto. Always a talented bunch and then with Adriaanse for the finetuning, fast ballcirculation. It could have worked.

Moves
05 Sep 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Watching games however when there is no sport, for example Holland v San Marino, was dull,
Look, you stupid Englishman, there is no Holland football team.

(And yes, it was dull.)

Richard

Moves
05 Sep 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
what you talking about? i love watching Scottish football, its full of incident, like watching two 1200 rated players playing chess, ok the standard is sub, but its entertaining from a certain perspective.
You may love that, but 90% of your compatriots care for nothing else than that Celtic wins/Rangers win/neither of those bluidy Glaswegian bullies wins. No matter how.

Richard

Moves
05 Sep 11

Originally posted by trev33
tell that to the owners and share holders...
Yes, the shareholders are the death of sport.

Used to be that the public were the "shareholders". Now, the financiers are. The result has, generally, been dire.

Richard

S

Utrecht

Moves
08 Sep 11

Originally posted by Palynka
With the financial fair play rules starting to bite on 2012 and 2013, it seems like now is the worst possible timing to dump Arsenal's strategy. I haven't read the FFP rules in detail, but I imagine it's still relatively soft for most clubs, but hopefully it will have some bite for the clubs who have become some billionaire's new toy.
Apparently one of the FFP rules starting next year is to maximize non first contracts.
Chairman Rummenigge of the ECA opposes this upcoming rule with the argument he wasn't consulted in time about this rule.
Maybe he's wearing a double hat as being the vice president of Bayern Munich, who hardly have any first contracter except for maybe Schweinsteiger.
Unsure what the maximum will be, but already problems may occur with the buying clubs.
Unclear if this proposal is a legal one according to European laws. A company can not be punished for not having enough first contracters. There's no such thing.
Might be an empty balloon after all.

The ECA came up with another plan to cut down the price money for the clubs having a certain deficit.
And 'the deficits' will not be aloud to buy players.
I wonder if they will include the well known.

In your face

Moves
08 Sep 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Look, you stupid Englishman, there is no Holland football team.

(And yes, it was dull.)

Richard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_national_football_team

Tsk tsk. Go complain to Wiki for spreading untruths then.

rc

Moves
08 Sep 11

Originally posted by jimslyp69

Hi Jimmsy, i think Shallow blue is correct, I mean its like calling the English national football team after a region, like Norfolk or something to be fair.

Moves
09 Sep 11

Bah! I might as well complain to Cameron (or Rutte!) for the same reason. I'll get similar results.

Holland is to the Netherlands as England is to the UK. It's just a province. In your country, provinces have their own sports teams; you are, AFAIAA, the only country in the world of which this is accepted.

Richard

Moves
09 Sep 11

Bah! I might as well complain to Cameron (or Rutte!) for the same reason. I'll get similar results.

Holland is to the Netherlands as England is to the UK. It's just a province. In your country, provinces have their own sports teams; you are, AFAIAA, the only country in the world of which this is accepted.

Richard
Wrong. Holland is a province with the Netherlands but England is a country within a kingdom of united counties.

In your face

Moves
09 Sep 11

Originally posted by trev33
Wrong. Holland is a province with the Netherlands but England is a country within a kingdom of united counties.
Ha!

In your face

Moves
09 Sep 11

Richard
I understand your argument and have educated myself since our initial discussion on the geography of the country, but the Nederlands football team is still referred to as 'Holland' in English. Not sure if it is referred to its equivalent in any other language.

So there you go.

Moves
10 Sep 11

I understand your argument and have educated myself since our initial discussion on the geography of the country, but the Nederlands football team is still referred to as 'Holland' in English. Not sure if it is referred to its equivalent in any other language.
Sure, and Liz II is still referred to as "Koningin van Engeland" in the Netherlands, and many other countries. It's still wrong. Ask any Scotsman. But for the love of your wedding tackle, ask him politely, and check that he doesn't have his claidheamh mòr on him first. At least all we Dutchmen will do is up the price.

Richard