1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 16:44
    In 1967 my roomy went to the Montreal Worlds Fair (the city in which we lived). He went into one of the pavilions and signed something saying he'd like to learn more about the JW "movement". A year later there was a knock at our door and two gentlemen introduced themselves as JWs and asked to speak to Bill. The long and the short of this is we would meet with them every Tuesday evening at about 8. Once in a while we'd invite other friends over for the discussions and although we had very different ideas concerning pretty much everything they espoused we, they and us, would have just not budge from our positions. After about 6 sessions we just agreed to disagree. That never seems to be the case in any of the threads here. Was is that?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 07:19
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    After about 6 sessions we just agreed to disagree. That never seems to be the case in any of the threads here. Was is that?
    From what I can tell nearly every thread ends with disagreement. So what are you actually asking? Why we don't simply all give up and go our separate ways?
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 14:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    From what I can tell nearly every thread ends with disagreement. So what are you actually asking? Why we don't simply all give up and go our separate ways?
    Not at all, just that if you look at any of the threads here (in spirituality) it's the same people disagreeing with the same people about whatever any of them put forth. Do any of them think that the others are going to "convert"?
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 14:46
    People do change their beliefs all the time.

It's just seldom happens overnight.

It's almost never the case that someone gets to the end of an argument and says
    "Damn, I was wrong, I will now change my entire worldview."

But the fact that people don't change overnight, and some people never change.
    Doesn't mean people can't or don't change.

Also the people participating in arguments are not the only ones that read them.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 15:00
    Not at all, just that if you look at any of the threads here (in spirituality) it's the same people disagreeing with the same people about whatever any of them put forth. Do any of them think that the others are going to "convert"?
    Not only have some people actually said that they were converted as a result of discussions in this forum, but full on conversion is not the only possible positive outcome. We can learn from each other without converting each other.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 15:29
    ... it's the same people disagreeing with the same people about whatever any of them put forth.

I disagree.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 15:48
    Originally posted by JS357
    I disagree.
    But do you agree to disagree?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 16:50
    In 1967 my roomy went to the Montreal Worlds Fair (the city in which we lived). He went into one of the pavilions and signed something saying he'd like to learn more about the JW "movement". A year later there was a knock at our door and two gentlemen introduced themselves as JWs and asked to speak to Bill. The long and the short of this is we would ...[text shortened]... ust agreed to disagree. That never seems to be the case in any of the threads here. Was is that?
    Greetings, GBS. Nice to see your Montreal Worlds Fair anecdotal experience referenced thread here. Three observations come to mind; in the interest of keeping the conversation fluid, I'll post one at a time. 1) Note the first word: for many it's the name of the game. "Spirituality: Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after." -Russ
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 17:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not only have some people actually said that they were converted as a result of discussions in this forum, but full on conversion is not the only possible positive outcome. We can learn from each other without converting each other.
    I guess I'll just have to, if not be involved here, then to at least read more of the threads. I admit that I am a very infrequent participant here and am willing to give it a bit more inspection.
    In the meantime...carry on.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 17:00
    In 1967 my roomy went to the Montreal Worlds Fair (the city in which we lived). He went into one of the pavilions and signed something saying he'd like to learn more about the JW "movement". A year later there was a knock at our door and two gentlemen introduced themselves as JWs and asked to speak to Bill. The long and the short of this is we would ...[text shortened]... ust agreed to disagree. That never seems to be the case in any of the threads here. Was is that?
    2) Stees, I had a similar encounter a month following my relocation from California to an attractive full amenity apartment complex (exercise gym, tennis, volley ball) with strict enforcement prohibiting door to door solicitation. There was a knock at the door one afternoon as I was about to walk over to the pool for some ping pong and a swim. Two young men dressed in similar clothing were standing there; the older of the two asked if they could share some information with me. So in my bathing suit with a towel over my shoulders I invited them into my living room, listening and asking a few questions for ten or fifteen minutes. Though I too "had very different ideas" we politely exchanged literature. At the door I asked how their reception had been throughout the rest of the two hundred unit quadrangle. "Only two other people would talk with us." This forum doesn't have any doors. Exposure to contrarian points of view is continuous. A few "agree to disagree" with their words or silence; many simply enjoy the challenge of proving another person wrong; some target individuals. (3 to follow)
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 16:242 edits
    In 1967 my roomy went to the Montreal Worlds Fair (the city in which we lived). He went into one of the pavilions and signed something saying he'd like to learn more about the JW "movement". A year later there was a knock at our door and two gentlemen introduced themselves as JWs and asked to speak to Bill. The long and the short of this is we would mee ...[text shortened]... agreed to disagree. That never seems to be the case in any of the threads here. Was is that?
    3) Finally, negative volition eventually develops a mindset which is preconceived to reject; it's an individual prejudice which becomes blind and deaf and cannot accept absolute truth. "If" possibilities may briefly penetrate this negativity armor with gut questions. What if I do have a soul; what if that immaterial soul is the real me; what if there is life after physical death; what if there is a God; what if I will continue to live somewhere forever; what if there are only two alternative locations, one desirable and one undesirable; what if the desirable location with God sharing His Perfect Happiness is far more desirable than any human being can conceive or imagine while the undesirable location of separation from God for eternity is far more undesirable than any human being can conceive or imagine; what if God respects human volition and leaves the choice totally up to me? Whenever the negativity armor is confronted with absolute truth on this forum, unspoken fears of being wrong may briefly occur. Observable result: all manner of incivility and sarcasm, ridicule and angry argumentation.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 01:33
    I heard a phrase once, which I think accurately describes most what an unenlightened life is like: you're either fighting or you're f***ing.

When we get around one another--- sans a better course of action--- we're either striving for dominance or we're in the throes of making love.

I will gladly convert you, Stees.
    Just way the word...
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Jun '14 11:35
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I heard a phrase once, which I think accurately describes most what an unenlightened life is like: you're either fighting or you're f***ing.

When we get around one another--- sans a better course of action--- we're either striving for dominance or we're in the throes of making love.

I will gladly convert you, Stees.
    Just way the word...
    And the word is?
  14. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 14:28
    I guess I'll just have to, if not be involved here, then to at least read more of the threads. I admit that I am a very infrequent participant here and am willing to give it a bit more inspection.
    In the meantime...carry on.
    I wouldn't bother to many godbotherers spouting venom at each other what happened to live & let live.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 20:49
    And the word is?
    Bird.
    Please.
    Help.
    Yes.
    Now.
    Resign.

Aaaack!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree