1. Cosmos
    Moves
    10 Nov '05 05:54
    Originally posted by helpmespock
    My sister is a devout Catholic and spends much of her time in service to the poor. she travels to south America several times a year and provides food and medical care. She has a very large group she goes with and they are some of the happiest most fulfilled people I know.they spend there lives helping others build their community. Helping and caring for others...this would be wasting time to you huh? You must be a very sad man.
    The only sad part of my life is wasting my time pointing out to losers that their beliefs are baloney.
  2. Joined
    10 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '05 07:48
    Originally posted by howardgee
    The only sad part of my life is wasting my time pointing out to losers that their beliefs are baloney.
    but it seems you spend a good portion of your life doing just that.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 15:441 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Sorry Dave, I'll have to side with LH, this is hardly an ironclad case you are making here...
    Unless you can pull some rabbit out of your hat, this is a preposterous assumption...

lol. Do you really believe that? Preposterous? I see. Yet, you are willing to accept wholesale the virgin birth - miracle ministry - death - resurrection - ascension routine as entirely probable, let alone as 'gospel' truth. I suggest you give your head a shake.
  4. London
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 15:50
    Originally posted by helpmespock
    but it seems you spend a good portion of your life doing just that.
    hg is a sad person.
  5. London
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 15:53
    Originally posted by David C
    [b]Unless you can pull some rabbit out of your hat, this is a preposterous assumption...

lol. Do you really believe that? Preposterous? I see. Yet, you are willing to accept wholesale the virgin birth - miracle ministry - death - resurrection - ascension routine as entirely probable, let alone as 'gospel' truth. I suggest you give your head a shake.[/b]
    To say that Jesus of Nazareth simply never existed as a person is preposterous, yes - the rest of your strawman post notwithstanding.
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 16:16
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    To say that Jesus of Nazareth simply never existed as a person is preposterous, yes - the rest of your strawman post notwithstanding.
    No, hammy, it is not. You have nothing but your 'gospels' that ever recount anything about 'Jesus of Nazareth'. None of the extra-biblical accounts are trustworthy. There were plenty of 'Jesii' in the region, and as you have conceded in another thread, the mythical Jesus of your bible may likely be an amalgamation of many preaching Yeshuas that existed in Palestine at that point in time.
  7. London
    Moves
    14 Nov '05 16:57
    Originally posted by David C
    No, hammy, it is not. You have nothing but your 'gospels' that ever recount anything about 'Jesus of Nazareth'. None of the extra-biblical accounts are trustworthy. There were plenty of 'Jesii' in the region, and as you have conceded in another thread, the mythical Jesus of your bible may likely be an amalgamation of many preaching Yeshuas that existed in Palestine at that point in time.
    Actually, there are the canonical Gospels and the apocryphal ones. Not to mention the epistles (canonical and otherwise). So, quite a lot of documents from the era talking about Jesus of Nazareth.

How many documents can you find about the historical Socrates? Does that make you doubt his very existence?

My comment about the amalgamated Jesus was that it was a far more reasonable position to take than the one you're taking (i.e. no Jesus "seed" around which the miracles grew; Jesus as a deliberate fictional creation from Egyptian myths).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree