1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 14:29
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Do you think there are any problems with Intelligent Design?
    I think some presentations of ID probably have some problems.

But some of the rebuttals seem to involve us in more problems. I think there are problems with the whole pseudo Buddhist approach that there is only an "Appearance of Design" [to paraphrase] as a kind of illusion.

That seems to be the counter argument of some who reject intelligent design, like Dawkins, I believe.

I think to say that there is only an appearance of design is similiar to the Buddhist philosophy that there is only an illusionary appearance of the world.
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 14:534 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I thought A&E were the only people, having C&A, C kills A but C gets married somehow. What's wrong with this picture?
    ... oh those literals ...... 😛 🙄

The book of Genesis is not a biology book. It tells us something about God, mankind and their relationship.

The book of Genesis is therefore a theology book and should be read and interpreted accordingly.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 15:552 edits
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    ... oh those literals ...... 😛 🙄

The book of Genesis is not a biology book. It tells us something about God, mankind and their relationship.

The book of Genesis is therefore a theology book and should be read and interpreted accordingly.
    I agree with much here. Genesis is not written to be an exhaustive discription of how God created everything.

But there is a flow of history that is obviously taken seriously by the rest of the Bible. So while it is theological it is also history.

There is a flow of history from Eden through Genesis and the subsequent books.
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 15:591 edit
    ... oh those literals ......

Cain moved to Nod to the east of Eden. Do you think that he could move "east" to a purely allegorical place?

I don't.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 18:20
    I thought A&E were the only people, having C&A, C kills A but C gets married somehow. What's wrong with this picture?
    Who told you when Cain and Abel were born they were the only kids, not to mention even being the first two?
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 18:23
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Given the limited genetic stock available in the biblical account of human origins, why do we not all display the signs of chronic inbreeding?
    If you take scripture as written you will also see that the lives of people was much longer too. I'd imagine the issues that creap into inbreeding now wouldn't have been as bad back then, mainly because of the all the issues within human DNA were not as bad then as they are now.
    Kelly
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 21:24
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    If you take scripture as written you will also see that the lives of people was much longer too. I'd imagine the issues that creap into inbreeding now wouldn't have been as bad back then, mainly because of the all the issues within human DNA were not as bad then as they are now.
    Kelly
    How is longevity going to help? It doesn't matter how many children the parents sire, if its 1 or 1,000 they all have the same genetic makeup and therefore would be subject to the same incest problems, even if they were born 800 years apart, they still have the same parents.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 04:21
    How is longevity going to help? It doesn't matter how many children the parents sire, if its 1 or 1,000 they all have the same genetic makeup and therefore would be subject to the same incest problems, even if they were born 800 years apart, they still have the same parents.
    True, but if they genetic makeup is closer to perfect as one who was designed to live forever would be, there would be less chances of problems springing up early on.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 07:37
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Next you could figure out why so many second and third rate evolutionists are resorting to ad hominems these days.
    Probably because they only want to spend their time talking to people capable of rational thought, not with people like you.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 08:52
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    True, but if they genetic makeup is closer to perfect as one who was designed to live forever would be, there would be less chances of problems springing up early on.
    Kelly
    And your evidence for this is where exactly?
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 13:491 edit
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Probably because they only want to spend their time talking to people capable of rational thought, not with people like you.
    Actually, I think you're a fanatic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree