1. Joined
    12 May '08
    Moves
    23 May '08 21:271 edit
    When the Mormon church split in the 1800s after Joseph Smith's death, 2 groups grappled for the power. Each new group had their prophet whom they declared to be the true prophet to receive the "Word" from God. No Mormon can explain why one group's prophet is right and the other wrong. It just feels correct to them. It feels correct to eat an entire berry pie, but that doesn't make it right.
  2. England
    Moves
    24 May '08 10:57
    is that why some over here call themselves "the church of latter day saints" i would like to know a bit more info if you can as to who the other faction went with.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    24 May '08 15:59
    Originally posted by Rall
    When the Mormon church split in the 1800s after Joseph Smith's death, 2 groups grappled for the power. Each new group had their prophet whom they declared to be the true prophet to receive the "Word" from God. No Mormon can explain why one group's prophet is right and the other wrong. It just feels correct to them. It feels correct to eat an entire berry pie, but that doesn't make it right.
    When the universal Church split in the 1500s, several groups grappled for power. Each new
    group had a set of dogmas (or lack thereof) which they declared to be the true reflection of
    God's wishes. No Christian can explain why one group's dogmas are right and the others are
    wrong. It just feels correct to them. It feels correct to eat an entire apple pie, but that doesn't
    make it right.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    25 May '08 03:01
    What's right with the Mormons?
    Not much. IMO, they're legacy victims of yet another spiritual fraud.

Odd, though...for every non-Mormon Christian given to extreme skepticism over Joseph Smith's authenticity (going so far as to point out the "undeniable" similarities of his Book of Mormon with Solomon Spalding's Manuscript Story), none of them seem to be willing to extend that level of suspicion to "Saint" Paul.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 May '08 11:37
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    When the universal Church split in the 1500s, several groups grappled for power. Each new
    group had a set of dogmas (or lack thereof) which they declared to be the true reflection of
    God's wishes. No Christian can explain why one group's dogmas are right and the others are
    wrong. It just feels correct to them. It feels correct to eat an entire apple pie, but that doesn't
    make it right.
    you mean the catholic church right? coz the universal church split in the 1000s
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 May '08 12:531 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    make it right.
    When the Jewish religion split in the 0s ......

The gnostics didn't make it.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 May '08 12:55
    It feels correct to eat an entire berry pie, but that doesn't make it right.
    One could say the same about religion in general. I have lost count of how many times I have heard the equivalent of "I couldn't believe in a God who was ...."
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 May '08 13:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    One could say the same about religion in general. I have lost count of how many times I have heard the equivalent of "I couldn't believe in a God who was ...."
    Just a matter of view. Some choose not to believe in god because there is no proof of existence and some choose to believe because there is no proof of non-existence.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '08 06:45
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    ... and some choose to believe because there is no proof of non-existence.
    Thats nonsense. Not one human being on the planet actually does that. You would believe in every single mythical being if you used that logic and we would have a lot more Santa followers too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree