1. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 14:58
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]======================================
    Not me personally, many humanitarians. Whether agnostic or atheist. It isn't based on fear of what happens after death, which is what many religions brainwash.
    ========================================

Why is it that for people to convince others that people should treat others the way that they th ...[text shortened]... t understand why the former indoctrination is not brainwashing but the latter is brainwashing.[/b]
    Caring about others is based on something that you can physically see around you. It is tangible and you can have empathy for these people (even with my own personal experience, and I am atheist). I have evolved the altruistic behavior as this is benificial for the species. Certainly there brain disorders which will cause them to not have these altruistic behaviors (e.g. psychopathy), but this isn't unique to atheists.

In the latter scenario, people who preach what is moral behaviour are basing it on hallucinations and delusions. Inventing a "you are going to burn in hell if you do not follow this" is certainly brainwashing.

I can go on for a long time about this, but I have found a good explaination on how atheists can have morals without requiring a god.

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismmyths/p/AtheistsMorals.htm
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 16:19
    Originally posted by lausey
    Caring about others is based on something that you can physically see around you. It is tangible and you can have empathy for these people (even with my own personal experience, and I am atheist). I have evolved the altruistic behavior as this is benificial for the species. Certainly there brain disorders which will cause them to not have these altruistic beh ...[text shortened]... als without requiring a god.

There is no doubt ,(imho), that the athiests in general make more sense than the theists. (I could go onto say that imho the non-dualists go furthur), but suffice to say at this point that ,although I see myself as a theist, my leanings at this stage definately go toward th athiest side of things. No competition.
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 18:25
    Originally posted by lausey
    Caring about others is based on something that you can physically see around you. It is tangible and you can have empathy for these people (even with my own personal experience, and I am atheist). I have evolved the altruistic behavior as this is benificial for the species. Certainly there brain disorders which will cause them to not have these altruistic beh ...[text shortened]... als without requiring a god.

Anyone who doesn't understand that someone can be moral without believing in eventual retribution is highly suspect in their own morality. They are broadcasting that they would not be moral without that threat. Since I perceive that threat to be a self-delusional fantasy I really have to question whether someone with those beliefs is really moral at all. They apparently do not believe in doing good without receiving a personal advantage. I wonder if they even believe in the things that they say they do - it could be they just claim to believe in a god solely for their own sake. They could wake up tomorrow, realize what an absolute fool they are and go on a killing rampage. On the other hand, if you believe that you are responsible for what you say, think, and do and that you answer for your behavior to everyone around you (particularly to the ones you love) then I have very little doubt that you will be the same tomorrow as today. I would much rather trust someone capable of taking responsibility for their own rules than someone who can only blindly parrot rules that they adhere to out of fear.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree